European Rugby Champions Cup

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup

Post by paddyor »

Also, say out of Temple bar. You do not HAVE to have an €8 for a pint and have your picture taken outside The Temple Bar pub.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

paddyor wrote:Also, say out of Temple bar. You do not HAVE to have an €8 for a pint and have your picture taken outside The Temple Bar pub.
a thousand times this!
ScarletsFan
Beginner

Post by ScarletsFan »

kermischocolate wrote:
paddyor wrote:Also, say out of Temple bar. You do not HAVE to have an €8 for a pint and have your picture taken outside The Temple Bar pub.
a thousand times this!
Agreed. I haven't found a pint in Dublin yet under €5. £3.25 for a pint of Guinness back here in Wales, but it's not as good as the Guinness in Ireland. Not sure why.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

ScarletsFan wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
a thousand times this!
Agreed. I haven't found a pint in Dublin yet under €5. £3.25 for a pint of Guinness back here in Wales, but it's not as good as the Guinness in Ireland. Not sure why.
Beggars Bush near Lansdowne road is under €5. They even have an OAP price for pints which is cheaper again.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

ScarletsFan wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
a thousand times this!
It's made differently. Or so the urban legend goes- not sure if it's true or not. Hence why Guinness within ROI always tastes different to elsewhere. Well, so I'm told.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

kermischocolate wrote:
It's made differently. Or so the urban legend goes- not sure if it's true or not. Hence why Guinness within ROI always tastes different to elsewhere. Well, so I'm told.[/quote]

Liffey water, do the Guinness tour you get a pint in the price and a great view.

Also recommend the following pubs for decent prices you'll likely get a pint (Guinness) for €4.80 possible less
O'Donohues on Baggot St (town end)
Long Hall on Georges St
Grogans on Castle Market/St William St
Palace Bar, Fleet Street (this and Porterhouse only decent pubs in Temple Bar)
Wellington, Baggot St/Mespil Rd

Other pubs worth a look but possibly pricier are:
Hogans on Georges St
Kehoes (just off grafton st)
Dawson lounge Dawson st (just keep it under 8 people)
Nearys off grafton st
Bruxelles off grafton st
Mcdaids off grafton st
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:
Liffey water, do the Guinness tour you get a pint in the price and a great view.

Also recommend the following pubs for decent prices you'll likely get a pint (Guinness) for €4.80 possible less
O'Donohues on Baggot St (town end)
Long Hall on Georges St
Grogans on Castle Market/St William St
Palace Bar, Fleet Street (this and Porterhouse only decent pubs in Temple Bar)
Wellington, Baggot St/Mespil Rd

Other pubs worth a look but possibly pricier are:
Hogans on Georges St
Kehoes (just off grafton st)
Dawson lounge Dawson st (just keep it under 8 people)
Nearys off grafton st
Bruxelles off grafton st
Mcdaids off grafton st
Also Guinness send out quality assurance teams to pubs in Ireland on monthly basis to check the lines, the lines are used more and so are more likely to be clean, the beer is generally fresher as it doesn't have so far to travel, it's also fresher as kegs empty more quickly due to the volume of sales here and bar staff make more of an effort when pouring Guinness to do so properly as a reputation for bad Guinness can seriously damage a pubs business.

Good call on those pubs btw, all excellent watering holes
I have Bumbleflex
ScarletsFan
Beginner

Post by ScarletsFan »

Thanks for all the replies folks. Makes sense with regards the Guiness and have heard they did quality checks in Dublin.
Did the Guinness tour the day after the semi final last year, which did suggest the water, but it's probably more to do with the quality checks etc.
Just got in after our win against Glasgow. There's no way I can see us getting to top seed in front of you considering both teams remaining matches. But here's hoping we have a home playoff.
Can see us playing a second string next week with the semi in mind. The game couldn't come quick enough now.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

ScarletsFan wrote:Thanks for all the replies folks. Makes sense with regards the Guiness and have heard they did quality checks in Dublin.
Did the Guinness tour the day after the semi final last year, which did suggest the water, but it's probably more to do with the quality checks etc.
Just got in after our win against Glasgow. There's no way I can see us getting to top seed in front of you considering both teams remaining matches. But here's hoping we have a home playoff.
Can see us playing a second string next week with the semi in mind. The game couldn't come quick enough now.
Will be a fantastic day in Dublin in two weeks time should be an amazing atmosphere, the way the tickets seem to be going seems like the North stand will be all red , this should mean that the two blocks of fans will be interacting , can’t remember a game in this stadium where there are two large groups of support blocked off like this ?. It will create a fantastic backdrop for what promises to be a memorable game. Can’t wait to see you all again you bring an amazing energy to your support , safe travel to you and all of the Scarlets fans !.
Flying wedge
ScarletsFan
Beginner

Post by ScarletsFan »

footrush wrote:
ScarletsFan wrote:Thanks for all the replies folks. Makes sense with regards the Guiness and have heard they did quality checks in Dublin.
Will be a fantastic day in Dublin in two weeks time should be an amazing atmosphere, the way the tickets seem to be going seems like the North stand will be all red , this should mean that the two blocks of fans will be interacting , can’t remember a game in this stadium where there are two large groups of support blocked off like this ?. It will create a fantastic backdrop for what promises to be a memorable game. Can’t wait to see you all again you bring an amazing energy to your support , safe travel to you and all of the Scarlets fans !.
Cheers. Yes, it seems we are all in the North stand so far. I heard we brought 10,000 over for the final. I'm hoping for more as prices are not as bad as the final last year with regards crossings and hotels. This is probably even a bigger game than the final as well.
There will be plenty of signing from us in the North I'm sure.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

ScarletsFan wrote:
footrush wrote:
Cheers. Yes, it seems we are all in the North stand so far. I heard we brought 10,000 over for the final. I'm hoping for more as prices are not as bad as the final last year with regards crossings and hotels. This is probably even a bigger game than the final as well.
€28 is fantastic value for a semi final for the North stand makes it really affordable for the travelling support :happy clapper: !.
Flying wedge
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Despite the presence of Scarlets fans looking over our shoulder (hope you enjoy the trip to Dublin but not as much as last year), what are the perceptions as to how we play Scarlets with a full hand.

IMO, Leo,Girvv and Burt are slightly more purist than Joe and his cohort of Coaches and will possibly try to play them with the outlook "our best game is better than your best game". Ireland v Wales was a pragmatic encounter and despite Gatland's post-match rantings, we put their pack through themeat grinder. I'd love to see the same again but with J10 kicking all his points. Don't fancy playing their back-row at their game and not flooding every breakdown and clearing Barclay, Davies, Shindler, Beirne et al off the ball.

Back-row, half-back and mid-field are their strengths. Their front-row will compete, but only come second. Their back three dominate against weaker teams, but are still very competent. This is possibly the match-up of the season as a Club game from the NH. Watching Scarlet v Glasgow at the w/e, it is evident that Pivac always has a couple of specific tactics unique to each opponent. What has he got in store for us
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

ScarletsFan wrote:
footrush wrote:
Scarlets Fan,

If your in the North stand you would probably be better going for pints before hand around Bath Ave/Haddington Rd. Load of good match day pubs all beside each other Slaterys/Bath/Beggars Bush.
Ballsbridge would add 10 mins onto the walk to the North end of the ground
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Be interesting to see if the ground is as full as the Saracens game ?, even with the addition of a greater travelling support from Scarlets ?.
Flying wedge
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

footrush wrote:Be interesting to see if the ground is as full as the Saracens game ?, even with the addition of a greater travelling support from Scarlets ?.
This game will sell out the week of the match
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Despite the presence of Scarlets fans looking over our shoulder (hope you enjoy the trip to Dublin but not as much as last year), what are the perceptions as to how we play Scarlets with a full hand.

IMO, Leo,Girvv and Burt are slightly more purist than Joe and his cohort of Coaches and will possibly try to play them with the outlook "our best game is better than your best game". Ireland v Wales was a pragmatic encounter and despite Gatland's post-match rantings, we put their pack through themeat grinder. I'd love to see the same again but with J10 kicking all his points. Don't fancy playing their back-row at their game and not flooding every breakdown and clearing Barclay, Davies, Shindler, Beirne et al off the ball.

Back-row, half-back and mid-field are their strengths. Their front-row will compete, but only come second. Their back three dominate against weaker teams, but are still very competent. This is possibly the match-up of the season as a Club game from the NH. Watching Scarlet v Glasgow at the w/e, it is evident that Pivac always has a couple of specific tactics unique to each opponent. What has he got in store for us
The decisive difference between Leinster 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 is in the pack. Our superiority there, particularly in the front 5, was the basis of our six from six in the ERCC group stage and most notably the away win in Sandy Park. Fast and loose and we give Scarlets a look in, perhaps even victory. I therefore say we should go for the meatgrinder. It's the least the Scarlets deserve after last May in the RDS......
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
footrush wrote:Be interesting to see if the ground is as full as the Saracens game ?, even with the addition of a greater travelling support from Scarlets ?.
This game will sell out the week of the match
Just interesting to see if the challenge that Saracens posed was different in perception, the broad sword rather that the rapier, does this have a baring on how we rate it ?.
Flying wedge
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just watched Racing v Toulon Top 14 from the weekend, 17-13 for Racing in a game which counted for both teams.

No doubt Munster backroom will have done the same and noted just how much more cohesive Racing (even w/o Donn Ryan) were, compared to the second game against Munster.

Just in case anybody has any illusions, there are definitely four form teams in the EPCR semi-finals.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Despite the presence of Scarlets fans looking over our shoulder (hope you enjoy the trip to Dublin but not as much as last year), what are the perceptions as to how we play Scarlets with a full hand.

A few stats from their game against Glasgow at the weekend should serve as reminders - if any were necessary - of what to expect.
Turnovers - they are such a threat at the breakdown; we better not get caught out again. We threw a lot of people at rucks to secure ball vs Sarries.
Missed tackles - they had to do a lot of tackling vs Glasgow and missed almost 20; that is surely something we can capitalise on.
As with Connacht, I seem to remember them being very good at tearing up our defence in broken play. That means that our kick-chase has to be much more accurate than it was against Sarries.
They mugged us last season. As with Connacht the season before, we should have known what to expect...but we weren't able to deal with it.
I really hope that lesson has been learned.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

One key factor that occurs to me going into this match with Scarlets is that we are a much better team than 12 months ago. Players like Dan Leavy and James Ryan have blossomed into remarkable players, our stalwarts Sexton, Isa, RK, Ferg etc. are bang in form and we have added Fardy and Lowe. Ugo's podcast concluded this Leinster side would beat England. This is a better Leinster than last season by some distance. Can the same be said about Scarlets?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.