Leinster A 2016-17

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster A 2016-17

Post by FourMasters »

As said above, a facile win so difficult to draw much conclusions. But given that I singled out Tom Daly in the last match for seemingly playing with mittens on his hands, I've got to give him credit today for taking a lot of the pressure off Jimmy O'Brien, looked to me like he was directing a lot of the play.
Brian Byrne was ultra-busy, a lot of carries, always looked like he might slip tackles and get a mighty Cronin-like run. Didn't quite happen for him, but he drew a lot of defenders, making space out wide.
Scarlets were poor, but we've seen Leinster sides at senior and A level descend to a kind of rabble-like state to match the opposition. Credit to Timmins as captain, and the entire pack, that they didn't go nuts with crazy off-loads, and kept doing the bread-and-butter stuff. That kept a shape to game (at least for Leinster) and translated into tries.
Larmour is the kind of up-and-comer that makes you go to the A games. I kinda disagree with Hugonaut, in that I'm a little nervous about his size. Scarlets didn't kick much, so I'm wondering what he's like under a high ball in traffic. Although after watching the senior team apparently playing to a policy of letting balls bounce :wink: , maybe its a moot point.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A bit more research and the reasons for our line-up would have been apparent. On the weekend that we beat Richmond 19-68, (16th Oct), Scarlets beat Nottingham 11-33. A week later, we conceded defeat to Nottingham 21-29 in Donnybrook, whilst Scarlets beat Richmond well.

So we faced into this game against the table-toppers and picked an A team which gave the Club the best chance of staying in this competition and thus keeping everybody involved in the pursuit of trophies.

Taken in concert with the result against N'hampton, this was a clear affirmation that Leinster rugby is in rude good health and Scarlets will not be looking forward to the back-to-back fixture next week. They fielded a team with 8 players who have played in the Pro12 already. Given that Leinster have already used 50 players this season, it's not surprising that only four of our players have yet to play for the first team.

As Hugonaut suggested, at least one of them, Jordan Larmour, will not be kept away from his chance for long. His display in the number 14 jersey, but turning up everywhere across the backline, clearly gave the message to watching Head Coach Leo Cullen, that he has real winger's speed and elusiveness and knows how to get to the try line.

However, he wasn't alone and Barry Daly on the opposite wing showed that his previous appearances for the Senior Team weren't flashes in the pan. He showed good hands, great balance and the ability to beat opponents on either side.

Tom Daly, Charlie Rock and Jimmy O'Brien were other backs to catch the eye in this very comprehensive win and each would give confidence that Leinster have real depth in almost every position and certainly the players necessary to regain possession of this Trophy.

Timmons gave a real captain's performance and this display showed the full range of skills that he posseses. The pity is that he is playing in a position in which Leinster's playing strength may be the best in professional rugby with seven internationals.

This was an excellent win against a team who arrived with confidence and departed with shell-shock.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Looking at the Scarlets A team

Tom Williams; Steff Hughes, Richard Smith, Aled Davies; Dylan Evans, Emyr Phillips, Peter Edwards; Rynier Bernardo; Tom Phillips, Josh Macleod, Morgan Allen CAPTAIN. have all played for the senior side by my reckoning with the likes of Hughes, Davies, Evans, Edwards, Bernardo, Allen having played an awful lot for them
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Will there be highlights of this game?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

sadly its unlikely.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Thx Hugo and RTB for the summaries. I'm living abroad so A games are never an option. Really appreciate the writeup.

So lads, out of Daly, Daly, Larmour, O'Brien and others, is there a fullback convert in there somewhere? I know about the other young guys who have played 15, just curious if we have any footballing/defending outside backs who can add to our options?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

jezzer wrote:Thx Hugo and RTB for the summaries. I'm living abroad so A games are never an option. Really appreciate the writeup.

So lads, out of Daly, Daly, Larmour, O'Brien and others, is there a fullback convert in there somewhere? I know about the other young guys who have played 15, just curious if we have any footballing/defending outside backs who can add to our options?
best bet to play 15 for Leinster out of the players who played in that A game are: Jack Kelly, Hugo Keenan or Jack Power.

I'd rate Kelly highest.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

jezzer wrote:Thx Hugo and RTB for the summaries. I'm living abroad so A games are never an option. Really appreciate the writeup.

Also living abroad and mucho appreciative of the summaries. GRMA!!!!
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Really like what I'm hearing about Larmour. He seems to have bags and bags of potential.Can't wait to seem him for the u20s in the 6N or for Leinster during that same time period!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

goreyguy wrote:

best bet to play 15 for Leinster out of the players who played in that A game are: Jack Kelly, Hugo Keenan or Jack Power.

I'd rate Kelly highest.
Yeah Kelly will be the man there once he stays Healthy which hopefully he does
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Did Power play 13 when he came on?
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

goreyguy wrote:Did Power play 13 when he came on?

Yes - played 13 and scored a nice try - put away by nice Frawley pass and then exchange of passes with Jamie Glynn.

Thought O'Brien showed some lovely touches at 10, while Tom Daly was breaking tackles for fun. Two tries by Lamour from the same set move. Thought Charlie Rock was very good - but hard to really judge any player given our dominance. Loughman picked-up a knock and went off at half-time. Given their previous results, very surprised at how poor Scarlets were.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wwed wrote:

Yes - played 13 and scored a nice try - put away by nice Frawley pass and then exchange of passes with Jamie Glynn.

Thought O'Brien showed some lovely touches at 10, while Tom Daly was breaking tackles for fun. Two tries by Lamour from the same set move. Thought Charlie Rock was very good - but hard to really judge any player given our dominance. Loughman picked-up a knock and went off at half-time. Given their previous results, very surprised at how poor Scarlets were.
Thanks.

Final question how'd the scrum go?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

goreyguy wrote:

I'd rate Kelly highest.
Do you know whether Conor O'Brien has ever played at 15? I know he's played some wing and outhalf, in addition to both centre positions. It might be difficult for him to break through in the centre with the existing options performing well.
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

goreyguy wrote:
wwed wrote:

Thanks.

Final question how'd the scrum go?
Messy - didn't think either side dominated the other.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

leinsterforever wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

I'd rate Kelly highest.
Do you know whether Conor O'Brien has ever played at 15? I know he's played some wing and outhalf, in addition to both centre positions. It might be difficult for him to break through in the centre with the existing options performing well.
No he hasn't, not athletic enough for 15.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

goreyguy wrote:
leinsterforever wrote: Do you know whether Conor O'Brien has ever played at 15? I know he's played some wing and outhalf, in addition to both centre positions. It might be difficult for him to break through in the centre with the existing options performing well.
No he hasn't, not athletic enough for 15.
Strange, strange thing to say! He's played [and starred] at wing and centre for the Irish U20s, but he's not athletic enough for fullback?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Yeah in my opinion he is a professional level centre.. doesn't have quickness/explosiveness you want in a back three player at pro level. Maybe I'll be wrong but that's how I see it when it comes to the idea of him playing 15 for leinster.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Leinster ‘A’

15. Jack Power
14. Jordan Larmour
13. Jack Kelly
12. Tom Daly
11. Barry Daly
10. Jimmy O’Brien
9. Charlie Rock