Leinster A 2016-17

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster A 2016-17

Post by goreyguy »

Lost 28-24. Were up 14-0 at one stage. Poor result. Think thats them out of the group.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Worst B and I cup campaign ever. Maybe as well no one will see them next week as they're clashing with Castres match
WhiskeyPapa
Beginner

Post by WhiskeyPapa »

Very disappointing, after going ahead early on; we surrendered an intercept try when attacking their line in the second half, and then butchered a three on one overlap with a forward pass shortly after. Nottingham took their chances and we fluffed ours. Fair play to Nottingham; after their bonus point win in Donnybrook back in October I'd read that it was the first B&I Cup match Leinster A took no competition points from, would Nottingham be the first side to beat them home and away in the B&I?

Dom Ryan was lively, stole a couple of line outs when Nottingham hesitated and looked like the senior player (until he got himself a yellow card), but not on the same level as the lads in the RDS last night. Good to see Cathal Marsh back on the pitch too, I think he completed the whole game.

A bonus point win against Richmond next week and there's still a chance of making the quarters if other results go our way I think, we're on the same or more points than the second placed teams in a couple of the other groups as things stand.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I think this is where the departure of so many players at the end of last season has really hurt us.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

extra shame is Munster, Ulster, and London Irish going to be in knockouts so could have been some great games there for us
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:I think this is where the departure of so many players at the end of last season has really hurt us.
The scheduling of the tournament unfortunately means that the vast, vast majority of Leinster fans aren't ever going to see these games, so it's really difficult to know why this has been our worst effort in the competition.

I've only seen the 'A' side once this season, and it was when they gave the Scarlets Premiership XV a hiding in Donnybrook ... on the back of that performance, I would have thought that they'd finish the pool stages handily with another bunch of wins, but they've lost their two games since.

That's a decent team we sent over there – not an outstanding team, but a decent team with a 50:50 split between senior squad players and academy players. I've been following the tournament long enough to know that home advantage is absolutely massive, some of the results in this tournament have been very surprising.

There was a 72 point swing [seriously] in seven days between our home fixture against the SPXV [65-13 win, +52pts] and our away fixture the following weekend [7-27 loss, -20pts]. That's inexplicable.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

hugonaut wrote:
cormac wrote:I think this is where the departure of so many players at the end of last season has really hurt us.
The scheduling of the tournament unfortunately means that the vast, vast majority of Leinster fans aren't ever going to see these games, so it's really difficult to know why this has been our worst effort in the competition.

I've only seen the 'A' side once this season, and it was when they gave the Scarlets Premiership XV a hiding in Donnybrook ... on the back of that performance, I would have thought that they'd finish the pool stages handily with another bunch of wins, but they've lost their two games since.

That's a decent team we sent over there – not an outstanding team, but a decent team with a 50:50 split between senior squad players and academy players. I've been following the tournament long enough to know that home advantage is absolutely massive, some of the results in this tournament have been very surprising.

There was a 72 point swing [seriously] in seven days between our home fixture against the SPXV [65-13 win, +52pts] and our away fixture the following weekend [7-27 loss, -20pts]. That's inexplicable.
+1
The swing in performances over a couple of weeks has been inexplicable. Suspect that the focus (and selection) on Senior team has dominated all minds in Camp and militated against a real sense of teamwork. Unfortunatly, if we don't get a result next week and qualify, there will be a lot of guys isolated with llittle incentive for the remainder of the season.
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

Real shame that we lost this game. It is a great competition for player development and thought we had sent a team good enough to win. We can still qualify though, a good win v Richmond next week should see us scrape through.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Pendragon wrote:Real shame that we lost this game. It is a great competition for player development and thought we had sent a team good enough to win. We can still qualify though, a good win v Richmond next week should see us scrape through.
Think if we get bp win we still need 2 of Nottingham, Jersey, and Pirates to lose too
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

With regard to the A team, I get that people are disappointed at the poor campaign but I think we do need to consider the fact that many of the lads we'd have expected to feature at the start of the season are playing regularly for the 1st team! We have incredible depth at the club but it only goes so far!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Flash Gordon wrote:With regard to the A team, I get that people are disappointed at the poor campaign but I think we do need to consider the fact that many of the lads we'd have expected to feature at the start of the season are playing regularly for the 1st team! We have incredible depth at the club but it only goes so far!
Eh.. more than enough talent in teams named for them to get our of their B&I group.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

goreyguy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:With regard to the A team, I get that people are disappointed at the poor campaign but I think we do need to consider the fact that many of the lads we'd have expected to feature at the start of the season are playing regularly for the 1st team! We have incredible depth at the club but it only goes so far!
Eh.. more than enough talent in teams named for them to get our of their B&I group.
Fo Sho.

I think they are just toying with us and want to do it the hard way. Away knockout fixtures all the way to the final.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

I wonder will Peter Smyth take over coaching the A team next season?

Hugh Hogan been the coach this season.

Also you'd assume they will try to organise some A friendlies for April time..
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Tomorrows match V Richmond at 7:30

We need BP win, Nottingham to lose away to Scarlets and one of Pirates or Yorkshire to lose in order to qualify.

In other words, a small miracle :D

Leinster ‘A’

15. Billy Dardis
14. Hugo Keenan
13. Jimmy O’Brien
12. Tom Daly
11. Barry Daly
10. Cathal Marsh
9. Charlie Rock
1. Peter Dooley
2. Bryan Byrne
3. Jeremy Loughman
4. Mick Kearney
5. Ian Nagle
6. Peadar Timmins CAPTAIN
7. David Aspil
8. Max Deegan

Replacements

16. Sean McNulty
17. Ed Byrne
18. Oisín Heffernan
19. Paul Boyle
20. Nick McCarthy
21. Ciaran Frawley
22. Jordan Larmour
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

4. Mick Kearney
Good to see him back.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

sunshiner1 wrote:
4. Mick Kearney
Good to see him back.
was 25th man with the senior squad last weekend.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

He's been back a while playing AIL I believe.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/mobile/news/23825.php

Lovely fixture for Munster A. Anyone know why LondonWelsh were DQed

TBP shouldn't be a problem at home to Richmond.Hopefully the other results come about.

Will Ferg and DK be back for the knockout stages of the B&I?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

All Blacks nil wrote:http://www.munsterrugby.ie/mobile/news/23825.php

TBP shouldn't be a problem at home to Richmond.Hopefully the other results come about.

they went into receivership/couldnt pay a tax bill
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

simonokeeffe wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:http://www.munsterrugby.ie/mobile/news/23825.php

they went into receivership/couldnt pay a tax bill
More specifically due to that they couldn't raise a squad as players refused to play without pay.
Anyone But New Zealand