Time to privatise the provinces? [Opinion / Article Post]

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Not_Today
Bookworm

Re: Time to privatise the provinces? [Opinion / Article Post

Post by Not_Today »

Dubmon wrote:I'm all in favour of this, but I think in the short term, the only rationale for pumping 10m into a province is as a vanity / pr project. You could see the likes of JP, Denis O'B doing it in Leinster or Munster. I'm sure there are equivalents in Ulster (if they haven't been scared off by the Rory Mc treatment) and Connacht.
What happened Rory?

Doubt any business man would invest too much cash in an Irish Province as they are current up.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Not_Today wrote:
Dubmon wrote:I'm all in favour of this, but I think in the short term, the only rationale for pumping 10m into a province is as a vanity / pr project. You could see the likes of JP, Denis O'B doing it in Leinster or Munster. I'm sure there are equivalents in Ulster (if they haven't been scared off by the Rory Mc treatment) and Connacht.
What happened Rory?

Doubt any business man would invest too much cash in an Irish Province as they are current up.
I think he was referring to the time someone played Sweet Caroline over the tannoy at Ravenhill just after he broke up with Caroline Wozniacki (he in attendance at the game).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

domhnallj wrote:
Not_Today wrote:
What happened Rory?

I think he was referring to the time someone played Sweet Caroline over the tannoy at Ravenhill just after he broke up with Caroline Wozniacki (he in attendance at the game).
Even worse, he was being interviewed pitchside by BBC at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8jqth-Omx4

They do love their tasteful "banter" up the north.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Is that incident not being blown massively out of proportion? And werent the IRFU just giving them extra money not Rory?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:Is that incident not being blown massively out of proportion? And werent the IRFU just giving them extra money not Rory?
Yes and no. He was very insulted by it apparently - who wouldn't be, it really was an ignorant thing to do, but it didn't have any effect on his imaginary investment into Ulster rugby - it didn't exist beforehand and it continued to not exist afterwards! As you point out (and the IRFU referenced in their annual reports at the time) the Union were making an extra investment in Ulster because the restricted capacity in 'old Ravenhill' meant they were falling behind in terms of revenue
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Is that incident not being blown massively out of proportion? And werent the IRFU just giving them extra money not Rory?
Yes and no. He was very insulted by it apparently - who wouldn't be, it really was an ignorant thing to do, but it didn't have any effect on his imaginary investment into Ulster rugby - it didn't exist beforehand and it continued to not exist afterwards! As you point out (and the IRFU referenced in their annual reports at the time) the Union were making an extra investment in Ulster because the restricted capacity in 'old Ravenhill' meant they were falling behind in terms of revenue
Yeah that investment rumour seems to have stuck
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

I think that whether he did or didn't invest is beside the point - it was the act that was grossly insensitive and memorable. A potential investor might think they could do better by putting thier put extra shillings into some other sport/team.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Was it proved to be intentional? Perhaps I'm being naive but I just can't imagine anyone making a joke like that.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Was it proved to be intentional? Perhaps I'm being naive but I just can't imagine anyone making a joke like that.
it wasn't coincidental! Joke that went sour
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Was it crowd singing it again or p.a.?

Dont think too many Magnier, McManus, DOB, craig types would be put off investing in Leinster or Munster over something like that (either case) in Ulster
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:Was it crowd singing it again or p.a.?

Dont think too many Magnier, McManus, DOB, craig types would be put off investing in Leinster or Munster over something like that (either case) in Ulster
Correct, it's all the other stuff that would put them off!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Despite having been kind of an albatross round the neck of the provinces, Italy's participation in the league is probably the only thing that can save us from being financial backwaters. What are the chances? What's slimmer than slim?

But, if Italy can finally strike on some kind of grassroots level structure that feeds up into franchises and on up ot the naitonal team, there will be TV money following behind. Conor O'Shea could be a big help here, depending on how wide he sees the scope of his remit (or whether he can make any cultural change).

I have Italian relatives and I'm hearing that rugby is really on fire at mini and junior levels, very similar to what's now happening here in Spain. The issues are really just structural, specifically around the "pro clubs" and the politics attached.

Without Italy getting its sh!t into gear, we can't hope to compete with a population of 15m across the Celtic nations - even if the rugby interest here proportionally is higher than in England (not so convinced about France).

And until the league looks more viable, NOBODY will be riding in on a Blue and Gold stallion any time soon.

PS Just reading that there's an overthrow in the works in the FIR. Autumn elections could well see a big change in the top levels and a planned overhaul of the FIR. Diego Dominguez and other ex-player Innocenti are leading the "coup". Criticising the old guard for being asleep, financial irregularity, ignoring the southern half of the country, neglecting the test team, mucking up the pro clubs. All depressingly Italian really.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I would not be a fan of any level of privatisation of the provinces. Even a minority share being sold starts a slippery slope toward the English and French models. I would be a fan of making the provinces more commercial with investment in stadiums that could be profit centres through restaurants, bars, conference centres, shops etc that are open all year around. There should be a focus on improving both Rugby and non Rugby revenue while reducing costs. These are businesses and need to be looked at in that light.