Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Ulster Sat 13th August

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Any reports yet?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Finished 31-14 to Leinster. Tries from Leavy, Conan, Josh Murphy, McFadden and Adam Byrne. Two conversions from Ross Byrne, one from Carbery. Nagle and Porter got yellow cards in the second half.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Great crowd and game today at Navan. The lads played some great free flowing rugby and the likes of Carberry and Adam Byrne really impressed me. The only down point was our scrum was totally dominated in the second half.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Thanks guys. No worried about the scrum. That will be all right when needed. Good news about the free-flowing stuff. That's what's been missing.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The scrum didn't bother me, Dudley Phillips inabilty to ref it did. Rodney Ah You decided to stand up for the ulstermen every time the front rows engaged - classic Island front row play, in and up, in and up, every f%~king time and Phillips didn't spot it once.

Imagine if Rory O'Loughlin had the hype and cheerleaders behind him that Ringrose did - because, non-competitve match and all as it was, he played better today than Ringrose has this year.
I have Bumbleflex
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Dave Cahill wrote:The scrum didn't bother me, Dudley Phillips inabilty to ref it did. Rodney Ah You decided to stand up for the ulstermen every time the front rows engaged - classic Island front row play, in and up, in and up, every f%~king time and Phillips didn't spot it once.

Imagine if Rory O'Loughlin had the hype and cheerleaders behind him that Ringrose did - because, non-competitve match and all as it was, he played better today than Ringrose has this year.
So many changes... I got confused... was Rory O'Loughlin the # 23 ?... if so then def agree... super outing... ZK @ #13 also worked well, Molony took up where he left off last Season, Conan very good.. and Joey Carberry, great ... heir apparent to Madigan...

One last comment... I had pre-supposed that the Parking was going to be complete 'mare today... but due to sensible & efficient work by the local Gardai... Parking at the Council office worked really well... hats off !!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I know it was only a warm-up match, but we scored 5 tries! 5 TRIES!!!!!! I take it the lack of discussion of yesterday's proceedings at Navan RFC is because everyone's in a state of shock... 5 TRIES!!!! IN ONE MATCH!!!!! At the risk of putting the mockers on us for the rest of the season, just let me say: Tús maith, leath na hoibre!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

riocard911 wrote:I know it was only a warm-up match, but we scored 5 tries! 5 TRIES!!!!!! I take it the lack of discussion of yesterday's proceedings at Navan RFC is because everyone's in a state of shock... 5 TRIES!!!! IN ONE MATCH!!!!! At the risk of putting the mockers on us for the rest of the season, just let me say: Tús maith, leath na hoibre!
I think it's fair to say that having Graham Henry involved has been a massive, massive success!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
riocard911 wrote:I know it was only a warm-up match, but we scored 5 tries! 5 TRIES!!!!!! I take it the lack of discussion of yesterday's proceedings at Navan RFC is because everyone's in a state of shock... 5 TRIES!!!! IN ONE MATCH!!!!! At the risk of putting the mockers on us for the rest of the season, just let me say: Tús maith, leath na hoibre!
I think it's fair to say that having Graham Henry involved has been a massive, massive success!
to be a buzzkill we had a far stronger/more experienced & accomplished set of forwards than they did (front row aside)
starting backlines were maybe even enough but we brought experienced internationals
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

SOK, so unlike you to be a killjoy. Having experienced backlines didn't stop last season from looking like we had no idea that a pass in front of a team-mate was still legitimate. From what I've heard from those lucky enough to be in attendance, we also threw a few of what are defined as "off-loads out of the tackle" and generally played with ambition rather than competence.

Let's applaud every example of what we thought we lacked last season. This Leinster Squad (only) need confidence in their ability to perform in a way that will entertain, as well as win. I'm certainly up for giving them encouragement in the hope that will grow their confidence.

Look at what it's done for Olympic Team GB - even though it nearly makes me choke to listen to and read their cheer-leading media!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Ruckedtobits wrote:SOK, so unlike you to be a killjoy. Having experienced backlines didn't stop last season from looking like we had no idea that a pass in front of a team-mate was still legitimate. From what I've heard from those lucky enough to be in attendance, we also threw a few of what are defined as "off-loads out of the tackle" and generally played with ambition rather than competence.

Let's applaud every example of what we thought we lacked last season. This Leinster Squad (only) need confidence in their ability to perform in a way that will entertain, as well as win. I'm certainly up for giving them encouragement in the hope that will grow their confidence.

Look at what it's done for Olympic Team GB - even though it nearly makes me choke to listen to and read their cheer-leading media!
i'm pretty sure 'some' of their sucess is down to the truly eyewatering amounts of lottery funding shovelled into the pit of their elite programmes.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

domhnallj wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:SOK, so unlike you to be a killjoy. Having experienced backlines didn't stop last season from looking like we had no idea that a pass in front of a team-mate was still legitimate. From what I've heard from those lucky enough to be in attendance, we also threw a few of what are defined as "off-loads out of the tackle" and generally played with ambition rather than competence.

i'm pretty sure 'some' of their sucess is down to the truly eyewatering amounts of lottery funding shovelled into the pit of their elite programmes.
I wish we could have achieved similar success with the Health Service after shoveling eye-watering amounts of tax money into that pit.

Pulls pin from grenade, lobs it into room, closes the door and walks away.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Whats the stat, something like five million pounds per medal?

If we play good rugby in the backs we'll all be very happy, last season started the same way, but hopefully it keeps up

Liverpool beat Barcelona; so lets be encouraged without getting carried away (just yet)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Dave Cahill wrote:The scrum didn't bother me, Dudley Phillips inabilty to ref it did. Rodney Ah You decided to stand up for the ulstermen every time the front rows engaged - classic Island front row play, in and up, in and up, every f%~king time and Phillips didn't spot it once.

I thought he struggled a bit with the physicality at 13. He slipped off a fair few tackles that should have stuck. But going forward he was good. Thought he did better on the wing in the second half. Worth noting as well that he was playing outside someone with actual experience at 12, unlike Ringrose who was outside Te'o in the main this year.

What was most pleasing about the game was how we approached it. We weren't crabbing across the field or flat out running laterally as we've been guilty of a bit the last couple of years. We straightened our lines which allowed support runners trail ball carriers better and we were looking for offloads a fair bit. While they didn't all stick and there were a few errors there it was positive. It looks like Henrys "stay square" message has gotten through. And as far as I'm concerned that's at least a good start.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

molloyjh wrote:
I thought he struggled a bit with the physicality at 13. He slipped off a fair few tackles that should have stuck.
I dunno, I thought he really only missed one tackle of any note - and made for for that immediately by getting a good position on the ball at the next ruck and winning the penalty
I have Bumbleflex
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Dave Cahill wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
I thought he struggled a bit with the physicality at 13. He slipped off a fair few tackles that should have stuck.
I dunno, I thought he really only missed one tackle of any note - and made for for that immediately by getting a good position on the ball at the next ruck and winning the penalty
I def have 2 or 3 tackles in my head where he should have done better and needed support from someone else to complete them. It was about the only thing I could fault him on, but it did stand out a bit. That said though I spent most of the game trying to see past a tall fella in front of me so might have gotten him confused with someone else I suppose. It's certainly not something I'd dwell on though. That stuff will come. I thought Daly did well enough too, and I think we've a greater need at 12 at the moment. Given how O'Loughlin did on the wing I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot there given our lack of real depth in those spots.