riocard911 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Bhi subh milis ar bhascrann an doras
Ach bhuch me an tine
Ionaim ard airigh
Mar smaoinigh me ar an la
A bhaigh an bhascrann glann
Agus an lamha beag ar aire
Iontach, Simon!!!
Who's that? Vince McMahon after The Donald shaved his hair off?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Isa Nacewa officially named club captain 2016/2017

Post by simonokeeffe »

the apex predator brah
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wise7
Beginner

Post by wise7 »

Neilog, in response to your suggestion of converting Ross Byrne to centre or fullback, because as you say you don't him want to be lost to the club, I would say that if there ever was a possibility of trying to accommodate both Joey and Ross in the same backline the ideal would be for Joey to be at 15 for his counter-attack capabilities and Ross at 10 because he controls very well, rather than the other way around. Both excellent footballers and Joey certainly has lit up the stage mostly with his ability with ball in hand, magic feet and good passing. Ross hopefully will get his chance to show what he brings in his excellence in distribution and all-round game management.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

wise7 wrote:Neilog, in response to your suggestion of converting Ross Byrne to centre or fullback, because as you say you don't him want to be lost to the club, I would say that if there ever was a possibility of trying to accommodate both Joey and Ross in the same backline the ideal would be for Joey to be at 15 for his counter-attack capabilities and Ross at 10 because he controls very well, rather than the other way around. Both excellent footballers and Joey certainly has lit up the stage mostly with his ability with ball in hand, magic feet and good passing. Ross hopefully will get his chance to show what he brings in his excellence in distribution and all-round game management.
I'd agree with you but I think it's unlikely Carberry will stray from 10, given he moved from UCD to 'tarf just to get game time there!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Byrne isn't a good enough athlete for other positions, in fact he may not be a good enough athlete for a modern day international 10.

If Byrne develops and reaches his potential, maybe in the future we will see him at 10 and Carbery at 15. But that's a big if and would require to develop pretty quickly IMO.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

What's this? Make our only fit outhalf a Full Back?
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

goreyguy wrote:Byrne isn't a good enough athlete for other positions, in fact he may not be a good enough athlete for a modern day international 10.

If Byrne develops and reaches his potential, maybe in the future we will see him at 10 and Carbery at 15. But that's a big if and would require to develop pretty quickly IMO.
Don't agree with that at all, he's barely any different to Sexton in terms of athletic ability, or Biggar!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

erskinechilders wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Byrne isn't a good enough athlete for other positions, in fact he may not be a good enough athlete for a modern day international 10.

Don't agree with that at all, he's barely any different to Sexton in terms of athletic ability, or Biggar!
He is slower than both those lads based on what i've seen to date from him, both on based on pace and acceleration.

He may be able to overcome his athleticism at 10, but not at other positions.
wise7
Beginner

Post by wise7 »

Byrne has the skills with plenty of vision and pace of thought upstairs which is pretty important for a playmaker
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wise7 wrote:Byrne has the skills with plenty of vision and pace of thought upstairs which is pretty important for a playmaker
Yes, your love of Byrne is well chronicled, he has a good rugby brain, he needs to show that this weekend. I'll be delighted if he comes throught and shows the form, control & intelligence he displayed at u20 level.
Last edited by goreyguy on November 3rd, 2016, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

goreyguy wrote:
wise7 wrote:Byrne has the skills with plenty of vision and pace of thought upstairs which is pretty important for a playmaker
Yes, your love of Byrne is well chronicled, he has a good rugby brain, he needs to show that this weekend. I'll be delighted if he comes and shows the form, control & intelligence he displayed at u20 level.
Please tell me that you don't work in a managerial position where you are responsible for staff?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

the spoofer wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
Yes, your love of Byrne is well chronicled, he has a good rugby brain, he needs to show that this weekend. I'll be delighted if he comes and shows the form, control & intelligence he displayed at u20 level.
Please tell me that you don't work in a managerial position where you are responsible for staff?
Is being critical not allowed?

As I said before, Byrne has the potential to be a very good outhalf if and when he develops.. he has weaknesses though, most notably his lack of athleticism and a lack of form/health over the past 15 months.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Prior to that he was outstanding for the U20's, a standard that is a clear indicator of ability. He has had a rough 18 months with injury, judge him after he has played 20 games with the senior team.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Byrne is a big guy though, 6'2", 92 kg, might help him compensate for a perceived lack of athleticism. Was better than Carberry at u-20 level, that's all I'm gonna say!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

neiliog93 wrote:Byrne is a big guy though, 6'2", 92 kg, might help him compensate for a perceived lack of athleticism. Was better than Carberry at u-20 level, that's all I'm gonna say!
But Carbery has been miles better at senior level - where it matters
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

until August or so Byrne was the great white hope on here
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:until August or so Byrne was the great white hope on here
At underage level he was the best outhalf through the system in a long time.. so he was deservedly seen at the next in line..

Since then Carbery has bypassed him quickly, unfortunately Byrne has struggled with injury and form the past year while Carbery has rocketed to a level no one expected.

If Byrne reaches the potential he showed at underage level, he could be 1st choice 10 for Leinster post Sexton.. but he is going to have a hard time doing that if Carbery remains on his current path.
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

wrong thread