Isa Nacewa officially named club captain 2016/2017

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: Isa Nacewa officially named club captain 2016/2017

Postby Laighin Break » April 25th, 2017, 12:23 pm

cormac wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:GET ON YOUR KNEES AND WORSHIP THE MAN

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/e ... -1.3056796

I see it's not just my father who called him Rocky "Elstrom".

To add to Gerry's Swedification of Rocky:
Paragraph 3 - "...from 2008 yielded a haul of three Heineken Cups and a Pro12/Challenge Cup.": To me this implies that Pro12 and Challenge Cup are the same thing.
- ".. a tame European pool exit after just one win in five games": Six games in the pool
Paragraph 8 - "Locko (Rory O’Lloughlin)": Welshification of ROL
Paragraph 9 - "Garry Ringrose is still only 21? “Robbie Henshaw is only 22,” Nacewa responds.": Not sure if this is Nacewa or GT's error, but if Nacewa's the journo should correct it
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable

Postby Raydollard » April 25th, 2017, 1:16 pm

I think it must be lazy journalism and that it is a r efreshed article from last year when they were 21and 22. Btw ISA has gone off the boil in the last while and is putting in end of career performances; he seems to have lost his pace.
Raydollard
Graduate

Postby neiliog93 » April 25th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Raydollard wrote:I think it must be lazy journalism and that it is a r efreshed article from last year when they were 21and 22. Btw ISA has gone off the boil in the last while and is putting in end of career performances; he seems to have lost his pace.

He's had one of his best ever Leinster seasons and deserved his renewal. But yes, his level has slipped a bit. He'll be nearly 36 come the end of next season, so it will probably be his last as a player.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » April 25th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Is he officially staying on? I remember it being reported but nothing official. Think the wording was vague too, said he was staying on but didn't actually say it was as a player.
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan

Postby simonokeeffe » April 25th, 2017, 6:30 pm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Is he officially staying on? I remember it being reported but nothing official. Think the wording was vague too, said he was staying on but didn't actually say it was as a player.

now thatd be interesting if retired or semi retired and started with the coaching
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen

Postby ronk » April 25th, 2017, 7:32 pm

I thought he was officially staying.

Still an absolute star for us.
ronk
Devin Toner

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » April 25th, 2017, 8:59 pm

I just remember something on the RTE website, nothing official. That doesn't mean there wasn't anything official, I just don't remember it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan

Postby neiliog93 » April 25th, 2017, 11:12 pm

I read Nacewa talking about it himself though, and Leo quoted as saying it was great to have him for another year and that he wanted to play till 40.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly

Postby Donny B. » April 26th, 2017, 1:00 am

I'm more than happy for Isa to still be playing but the days of him starting major games on the wings must be over. He was shown up by Wade in the quarters and Strettle in the semi. He could still do a job a full back though, but we need to be looking at Byrne, O'Loughlin, Lowe and hopefully Larmour on the wings from next season. The Kearneys are sadly both wrecks at this stage and Ferg can cover in an emergency but can't seriously be considered for a top game as our game needs pacy wingers to work.
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy

Postby Ruckedtobits » April 26th, 2017, 8:47 am

Donny B. wrote:I'm more than happy for Isa to still be playing but the days of him starting major games on the wings must be over. He was shown up by Wade in the quarters and Strettle in the semi. He could still do a job a full back though, but we need to be looking at Byrne, O'Loughlin, Lowe and hopefully Larmour on the wings from next season. The Kearneys are sadly both wrecks at this stage and Ferg can cover in an emergency but can't seriously be considered for a top game as our game needs pacy wingers to work.

Donny, I think writing off Ferg at this point is too quick. He can still and does make a real contribution both in attack and defence. After a long spell out with injury his performance against Wasps was a real highlight - his own try and his contribution to Conan's being particular examples.

I would hope that when we are on the run-in next year, i.e. after the 6N, we will see Byrne, Lowe, Larmour and maybe O'Loughlin vying for the wing slots but I expect that Dave K and Ferg will be pressurising these guys with their skills and experience.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey

Postby carlow man » April 26th, 2017, 9:34 am

Agree with you there. Does anyone think trying to get kelleher to come back would be an option? With new coach starting at connacht he might not be a starter. Lam was instrumental in getting him to join them. Kelleher would provide major pace from the wings or fb.
carlow man
Knowledgeable

Postby the spoofer » April 26th, 2017, 9:45 am

carlow man wrote:Agree with you there. Does anyone think trying to get kelleher to come back would be an option? With new coach starting at connacht he might not be a starter. Lam was instrumental in getting him to join them. Kelleher would provide major pace from the wings or fb.

I don't think we need him, he's not as good as ROL or Byrne.
the spoofer
Girvan Dempsey

Postby mildlyinterested » April 26th, 2017, 9:57 am

the spoofer wrote:
carlow man wrote:Agree with you there. Does anyone think trying to get kelleher to come back would be an option? With new coach starting at connacht he might not be a starter. Lam was instrumental in getting him to join them. Kelleher would provide major pace from the wings or fb.

I don't think we need him, he's not as good as ROL or Byrne.

Is he not? Because he was certainly rated higher than both when he was here.

I'd have loved to see him playing under Lancaster.
mildlyinterested
Graduate

Postby Flash Gordon » April 26th, 2017, 10:04 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Donny B. wrote:I'm more than happy for Isa to still be playing but the days of him starting major games on the wings must be over. He was shown up by Wade in the quarters and Strettle in the semi. He could still do a job a full back though, but we need to be looking at Byrne, O'Loughlin, Lowe and hopefully Larmour on the wings from next season. The Kearneys are sadly both wrecks at this stage and Ferg can cover in an emergency but can't seriously be considered for a top game as our game needs pacy wingers to work.

Donny, I think writing off Ferg at this point is too quick. He can still and does make a real contribution both in attack and defence. After a long spell out with injury his performance against Wasps was a real highlight - his own try and his contribution to Conan's being particular examples.

I would hope that when we are on the run-in next year, i.e. after the 6N, we will see Byrne, Lowe, Larmour and maybe O'Loughlin vying for the wing slots but I expect that Dave K and Ferg will be pressurising these guys with their skills and experience.

Don't think he was writing him off just calling out his limitations. I also wouldn't be rushing to judgment on the basis of what happened in ASM game....or the Wasps game. The reality is that before his injury for the previous year or so he showed pretty significant limitations in my view.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Devin Toner

Postby Dave Cahill » April 26th, 2017, 10:06 am

So if he turns out to not be good enough for a lower mid table team we should take him back?

Theres a flaw there somewhere.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy

Postby carlow man » April 26th, 2017, 10:30 am

I never said if he's not good enough for connacht. Just sometimes a coach doesn't have them in their plans. Think Lancaster would love to work with kelleher. Adam byrne didn't get much of a look in until this season either. Cullen didn't use him last year but now Lancaster is here he gets a shot. Coincidence?
carlow man
Knowledgeable

Postby mildlyinterested » April 26th, 2017, 10:39 am

Dave Cahill wrote:So if he turns out to not be good enough for a lower mid table team we should take him back?

Theres a flaw there somewhere.

Personally I think he has been pretty good for them when he has played.
mildlyinterested
Graduate

Postby Dave Cahill » April 26th, 2017, 10:41 am

Not really, between injury and playing chasing Byrne wasn't around that much.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy

Postby carlow man » April 26th, 2017, 11:21 am

He's actually been around quite a lot. Just never got a chance until this year when others weren't available. Kelleher left because Cullen preferred Kirchner. We all know that was the wrong decision.
carlow man
Knowledgeable

Postby Dave Cahill » April 26th, 2017, 11:25 am

Firstly, doubt it. Secondly, it wasn't.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts