Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Injuries 16/17

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote:Sexton could be given a few months off:
http://www.the42.ie/johnny-sexton-rest- ... =shortlink
Leinster press conference today.

Would be a disaster if true. It was a risk signing him with his injury profile. A risk that was compounded by losing Madigan.
Sure, Carbery has looked great but we are now potentially going into 4 Heineken Cup games heavily dependent on a 21 year old at out half. Marsh is injured and Byrne, while having looked ok, is clearly not ready for European action.
Eh?
Bit of a knee jerk response there.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:

Would be a disaster if true. It was a risk signing him with his injury profile. A risk that was compounded by losing Madigan.
Sure, Carbery has looked great but we are now potentially going into 4 Heineken Cup games heavily dependent on a 21 year old at out half. Marsh is injured and Byrne, while having looked ok, is clearly not ready for European action.
Eh?
Bit of a knee jerk response there.
Not at all. I've argued it pretty consistently.
It is great to have him but we were always going to be at the mercy of his horrendous injury profile and the benevolence of the IRFU.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He was signed by Ireland, for Ireland. They really only care that he gets the odd game for us before an international.

See also Seán O'Brien and Rob Kearney. That we have a lack of experienced backup is quite a separate issue from signing Sexton, and it's always a problem. What we do have is a seriously talented and hugely promising Irish international as replacement. Which is none too shabby.

And if he gets injured we will get an injury replacement. Somebody experienced. We may, just possibly, be allowed anyway (as we are providing two of the three Irish outhalves being used currently).
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can't see this happening any time soon. He's injured now, not sure for how long but I'd imagine he'll just aim to get back after that and be ready for the 6N. Whether that's next week or the first game of the championship I don't know but I can't see him being given an actual break. I just can't see him not trying to get back ASAP during a Lions year. I reckon he'll be held together by sticky tape as best we can manage until the summer, and then be given an extended break going into next season.

I don't actually see him going to NZ though, just can't picture him staying fit.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

James Ryan is out for 5 months after an op on his hammer
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:James Ryan is out for 5 months after an op on his hammer
Jesus, Leinster rugby players and massive hamstring injuries – Healy, O'Brien and now Ryan. The Strength and Conditioning staff urgently need to examine what they're doing with regards to lower-body and posterior chain work. We had something like this before a number of years ago with hip complaints.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
Jesus, Leinster rugby players and massive hamstring injuries – Healy, O'Brien and now Ryan. The Strength and Conditioning staff urgently need to examine what they're doing with regards to lower-body and posterior chain work. We had something like this before a number of years ago with hip complaints.
Think you have a point.
I've a vague memory that Damien Duff had a series of hammer problems before he joined The Chelsea and then nada ish.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

I think we are fine. Carberry is better than Sexton now
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't see this happening any time soon. He's injured now, not sure for how long but I'd imagine he'll just aim to get back after that and be ready for the 6N. Whether that's next week or the first game of the championship I don't know but I can't see him being given an actual break. I just can't see him not trying to get back ASAP during a Lions year. I reckon he'll be held together by sticky tape as best we can manage until the summer, and then be given an extended break going into next season.

I don't actually see him going to NZ though, just can't picture him staying fit.
Assuming he's fit in time, if we played him for the two Northampton matches and then he was then rested until the final Champions Cup rounds in January, that would be reasonable in the context. I know the timing sequence is not entirely logical, but it could be managed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Given he's a centrally contracted player (to the IRFU and a 'mysterious benefactor') it wasn't really our risk. It may or may not have been a factor in Madigan leaving though. I'm all for him taking a break if it will benefit him the way it did McCaw & Carter. I'd rather a fully fit Sexton that the current situation - for his sake and our sake. However, it'll leave a sour taste in the mouth if the Lions are the ones who end up benefitting from this. I've really gone off the whole Lions malarky in the years since 09.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Raydollard wrote:I think we are fine. Carberry is better than Sexton now
Is he better than Madigan tho'?
That's the real benchmark isn't it?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote:

Given he's a centrally contracted player (to the IRFU and a 'mysterious benefactor') it wasn't really our risk. It may or may not have been a factor in Madigan leaving though. I'm all for him taking a break if it will benefit him the way it did McCaw & Carter. I'd rather a fully fit Sexton that the current situation - for his sake and our sake. However, it'll leave a sour taste in the mouth if the Lions are the ones who end up benefitting from this. I've really gone off the whole Lions malarky in the years since 09.
+1 on the lions.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hugonaut wrote:
The hip problem was the academy/younger players doing too much/too heavy squatting; getting ahead of what their bodies could take
IIRC it was Ruddock, O'Malley, DK with exact same injury but now the academy players all have regular scans

would love to know similar (hamstring injury) ratios for other teams

could well be a deadlifting issue
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Sexton has now been off the boil for many seasons. He started okay for Racing but was always been shown the door by them as he did not perform. They dropped him like a hot potato. His following two seasons home have not been great. He is nowhere near the player he once was. A complete dud like Jackson is now challenging him for Ireland.

Madigan was pissed upon by management for three seasons and now has his time in the sun. Bordeaux are playing out of their skins. Madigan has no need to return for more abuse - he's had his fair share. Now he is coining it. Fair play to him.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Raydollard wrote:Sexton has now been off the boil for many seasons. He started okay for Racing but was always been shown the door by them as he did not perform. They dropped him like a hot potato. His following two seasons home have not been great. He is nowhere near the player he once was. A complete dud like Jackson is now challenging him for Ireland.

Madigan was pissed upon by management for three seasons and now has his time in the sun. Bordeaux are playing out of their skins. Madigan has no need to return for more abuse - he's had his fair share. Now he is coining it. Fair play to him.
Ah Jaysus.... not another round of this shite.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

artaneboy wrote:
Raydollard wrote:Sexton has now been off the boil for many seasons. He started okay for Racing but was always been shown the door by them as he did not perform. They dropped him like a hot potato. His following two seasons home have not been great. He is nowhere near the player he once was. A complete dud like Jackson is now challenging him for Ireland.

Ah Jaysus.... not another round of this shite.

I find the familiarity and predictability of it oddly reassuring.
All is right with the world when Raydollard is slagging...erm, anyone while reminding us all that Mads is probably the greatest human ever and that he was treated appallingly by pretty much everyone.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Funny how offering Sexton a new long term contract is now classed as dropping him like a hot potato.

https://www.joe.ie/sport/racing-metro-h ... eal/457546

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/r ... -1.1905410

If you had a bit of information you might be dangerous. As it happens you're just the LF equivalent of this guy:

Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

If any nonsense is in the paper it must be true. Cop on. Building an empire round a crock!!!
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Racing beaten quarter finalists in 2012/3, 5th in 2013/4, 5th 2014/5, 4th in 2015/16. Some empire indeed.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CiaranIrl wrote:

The risk is really that Leinster go into Europe with completely inadequate resources at 10. Carbery for all his promise is still a kid whose body is developing. Not having a world class goalkicker is also an issue.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us