Jamie Heaslip

Re: Injuries 16/17

Post by simonokeeffe »

Flash Gordon wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Sexton could be given a few months off:
http://www.the42.ie/johnny-sexton-rest- ... =shortlink
Leinster press conference today.

Would be a disaster if true. It was a risk signing him with his injury profile. A risk that was compounded by losing Madigan.
Sure, Carbery has looked great but we are now potentially going into 4 Heineken Cup games heavily dependent on a 21 year old at out half. Marsh is injured and Byrne, while having looked ok, is clearly not ready for European action.
Given he's a centrally contracted player (to the IRFU and a 'mysterious benefactor') it wasn't really our risk. It may or may not have been a factor in Madigan leaving though. I'm all for him taking a break if it will benefit him the way it did McCaw & Carter. I'd rather a fully fit Sexton that the current situation - for his sake and our sake. However, it'll leave a sour taste in the mouth if the Lions are the ones who end up benefitting from this. I've really gone off the whole Lions malarky in the years since 09.
The risk is really that Leinster go into Europe with completely inadequate resources at 10. Carbery for all his promise is still a kid whose body is developing. Not having a world class goalkicker is also an issue.
the kicking would be more of a concern but we have Isa for that even if he isnt the longest range kicker of all time
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
Given he's a centrally contracted player (to the IRFU and a 'mysterious benefactor') it wasn't really our risk. It may or may not have been a factor in Madigan leaving though. I'm all for him taking a break if it will benefit him the way it did McCaw & Carter. I'd rather a fully fit Sexton that the current situation - for his sake and our sake. However, it'll leave a sour taste in the mouth if the Lions are the ones who end up benefitting from this. I've really gone off the whole Lions malarky in the years since 09.
The risk is really that Leinster go into Europe with completely inadequate resources at 10. Carbery for all his promise is still a kid whose body is developing. Not having a world class goalkicker is also an issue.
the kicking would be more of a concern but we have Isa for that even if he isnt the longest range kicker of all time
Yep on the kicking. If you think of our successful European campaigns 0-5 point wins dot the progress so it's pretty critical. I do think they will need to look after him physically, he's got a hell of a future but at the moment he's 30-35 kilos lighter than the lads who will be hitting him.

Interesting when you think about player development and Isa, his presence means we can take the load off Joey a bit and you've got to be learning a load from a lad with his experience.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:James Ryan is out for 5 months after an op on his hammer
Jesus, Leinster rugby players and massive hamstring injuries – Healy, O'Brien and now Ryan. The Strength and Conditioning staff urgently need to examine what they're doing with regards to lower-body and posterior chain work. We had something like this before a number of years ago with hip complaints.
The hip problem was the academy/younger players doing too much/too heavy squatting; getting ahead of what their bodies could take
IIRC it was Ruddock, O'Malley, DK with exact same injury but now the academy players all have regular scans

would love to know similar (hamstring injury) ratios for other teams

could well be a deadlifting issue
Overheard Medico-Fitness Conference chat between Physio and S&C head honcho was centred on use of "Watt Bike". Physio had horror stories from Ice Hockey & NFL.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

interesting

youd think rugby/Europe wouldnt lag much behind other sports any more
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Its a wonder Leinster aren't further ahead than most other teams in Europe when it comes injury prevention. Stephen Smith, former staff member, set up Kitman Labs which deals exactly in this field. They're now being hired by the LA Dodgers and Miami Dolphins. He did a really interesting interview with OTB recently explaining exactly what they do. Leinster were there first ever employers so should be better at this than most. Maybe they should get them back in!

Here's there interview with OTB :

http://offtheball.newstalk.com/player/p ... 8/1/cp_12/

Interesting article regarding they're work with the Dolphins,View from ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1366 ... rogram-nfl
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Absolutely fascinating. Now, when are they going to really analyse Jamie and find out what he's doing and how he avoids injury?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

With Heaslip, it seems to be a combo of three things:

Genetics (the neanderthal blood!)
His playing style & body shape (not top heavy like SOB, Healy, Ferriss)
and ridiculous levels of professionalism (sleeping on oxegen tents, hyperbaric chambers, leg recovery devices etc)

I don't think we'll ever see anyone like him again!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:With Heaslip, it seems to be a combo of three things:

Genetics (the neanderthal blood!)
His playing style & body shape (not top heavy like SOB, Healy, Ferriss)
and ridiculous levels of professionalism (sleeping on oxegen tents, hyperbaric chambers, leg recovery devices etc)

I don't think we'll ever see anyone like him again!
That's very interesting stuff.
Is there any more detailed info.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Absolutely fascinating. Now, when are they going to really analyse Jamie and find out what he's doing and how he avoids injury?
Think Jamie may have been an early investor - I certainly remember him giving them plenty of publicity.
A proud Winsome Fluter
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

He is, Smith mentions himself and Cheika as stakeholders in the business!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Have I not read elsewhere that Jamie does yoga/pilates and this keeps him supple as well as strong thus limiting his susceptibility to injury? If true the S&C peeps should be on it.

Or was I being wound up?
Four Stars
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

you weren't - he does
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Om........
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

riocard911 wrote:Om........
Let's leave the gods out of this.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Lar wrote:Have I not read elsewhere that Jamie does yoga/pilates and this keeps him supple as well as strong thus limiting his susceptibility to injury? If true the S&C peeps should be on it.

Or was I being wound up?
He has spoken before about being given a book called 'Supple Leopard' (I sh1t you not!) and employing some of the exercises in this.
There's a few pics of him before games using resistance bands in strange ways.

I think most of the players do some level of yoga/pilates regularly. Darce has his own yoga hub now, so I'm sure he'd give them a good deal!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

wixfjord wrote:
Lar wrote:Have I not read elsewhere that Jamie does yoga/pilates and this keeps him supple as well as strong thus limiting his susceptibility to injury? If true the S&C peeps should be on it.

Or was I being wound up?
He has spoken before about being given a book called 'Supple Leopard' (I sh1t you not!) and employing some of the exercises in this.
There's a few pics of him before games using resistance bands in strange ways.

I think most of the players do some level of yoga/pilates regularly. Darce has his own yoga hub now, so I'm sure he'd give them a good deal!
Here you go..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Becoming-Suppl ... le+leopard
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

42 quoting Leo as expecting Johnny back for one of the festive interpros
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Any idea on the situation for Ed Byrne?

Is he injured again?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Carbery could be out for up to 6 weeks according to Fanning in the Sindo
I have Bumbleflex
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Dave Cahill wrote:Carbery could be out for up to 6 weeks according to Fanning in the Sindo
ST says Kearney& O'Brien should be fine for Saturday, but Carbery is out.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”