Leinster line up Mike Ford to replace Kurt McQuilkin

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster line up Mike Ford to replace Kurt McQuilkin

Post by wixfjord »

Headline is a bit strong, the actual story merely says that he's 'among several coaches to hold discussions with Leinster as the province looks for a defence coach to replace Kurt McQuilkin'

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/l ... um=twitter

I don't like Ford's demeanour, comes across as a tool, but I'd certainly take this.

However, what sort of a relationship would he have with Leo as his boss? Can't see him being the type of guy to submit to a 38 year old head coach with little experience...
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster line up Mike Ford to replace Kurt McQuilkin

Post by erskinechilders »

Perfect replacement if we get him. A hell of a lot of experience working solely as a defensive coach and could also give Leo pointers in the head coach role. I don't think he would have any massive problems serving under Leo tbh. Another big plus is that he knows the Irish system and how it works.

He could also give Girv a hand with the attack considering how good the Bath attack was for the 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think hes a good coach,the consensus was that his systems were very good, but when they collapsed, they collapsed spectacularly. Was there not a stat somewhere, and its only a vague memory so entirely open to correction, that when he left the Irish job, all of Irelands record defeats to the big 8 were on his watch?
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought of him yesterday but dismissed it because I couldn't see him take a lesser role than he's had before. He ticks a lot of boxes but don't see him as being the right fit personally. That said, if he doesn't have other clubs banging on the door and could stomach being Leo's number two and not try and undermine Girv then it could well work.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I thought of him yesterday but dismissed it because I couldn't see him take a lesser role than he's had before. He ticks a lot of boxes but don't see him as being the right fit personally. That said, if he doesn't have other clubs banging on the door and could stomach being Leo's number two and not try and undermine Girv then it could well work.
Yeah....
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think that after Bath his options are limited - he can drop down a level to stay head coach or stay at the elite level as a unit coach for a couple of years to rebuild his reputation. He is the perfect fit for us in terms of what we can hope to attract - talented but damaged.
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote:I think hes a good coach,the consensus was that his systems were very good, but when they collapsed, they collapsed spectacularly. Was there not a stat somewhere, and its only a vague memory so entirely open to correction, that when he left the Irish job, all of Irelands record defeats to the big 8 were on his watch?
Can't remember exactly when he left. But even assuming he went at the same time as Eddie O'Sullivan (March 2008) it doesn't hold up. [edit] Looked it up, he left at the start of the 2005/06 season to coach Saracens, so the only record defeat he was involved with was the 44-5 defeat to France in 2002. Both records against New Zealand were eclipsed under Declan Kidney's tenure. A 66-28 defeat in 2010 (record pts conceded) and 60-0 in 2012 (record margin).

New Zealand*

Pts conceded: 63 - 15 Nov 1997
Record Margin: 56 (59-3) 6 Jun 1992

South Africa

Pts conceded: 38 - 30 Nov 1912
Record Margin: 38 (38-0) 30 Nov 1912

Australia

Pts conceded: 46 - 12 Jun 1999
Record Margin: 36 (46-10) 12 Jun 1999

England

Pts conceded: 50 - 5 Feb 2000
Record Margin: 40 (46-6) 15 Feb 1997

France

Pts conceded: 44 (2) - 6 Apr 2002, 21 Mar 1992
Record Margin: 39 (44-5) 6 Apr 2002

Wales

Pts conceded: 34 - 21 Feb 1976
Record Margin: 29 (29-0) 9 Mar 1907

Scotland

Pts conceded: 38 - 1 Mar 1997
Record Margin: 28 (38-10) 1 Mar 1997

* both records since exceeded
Last edited by cormac on August 18th, 2016, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Cool, thanks for that, I though it a bit vague alright!
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:I think that after Bath his options are limited - he can drop down a level to stay head coach or stay at the elite level as a unit coach for a couple of years to rebuild his reputation. He is the perfect fit for us in terms of what we can hope to attract - talented but damaged.
A season or two with us, get in the IRFU's good books and then take over Connacht when Lam is inevitably poached? Sounds like a plan.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Cool, thanks for that, I though it a bit vague alright!
yup, he went in 2006, only record defeat under him was France in his first 6n, maybe there were one or two highest scores conceeded but not biggest margin of defeat

were he to come though its a big backroom dagger for Leo and anyone else
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That assumes he is the backstabby sort, and he doesn't appear to be. Not everyone is Axel Foley!
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Cool, thanks for that, I though it a bit vague alright!
yup, he went in 2006, only record defeat under him was France in his first 6n, maybe there were one or two highest scores conceeded but not biggest margin of defeat

were he to come though its a big backroom dagger for Leo and anyone else
He left in 2005 to take over Saracens I thought?
There were loads of fluff pieces with him/about him when we played Bath two seasons ago.

I have no strong feelings about him in particular but it would be good to get some experience and outside thinking in immediately to replace Kurt. It still leaves us a coach short at least but at least we will have shored the ship up.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:That assumes he is the backstabby sort, and he doesn't appear to be. Not everyone is Axel Foley!
Is he Lawrie Fisher though?

Wikipedia said 4 seasons starting 2002 6n so I went off that
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Dave Cahill wrote:That assumes he is the backstabby sort, and he doesn't appear to be. Not everyone is Axel Foley!
Its Mrs Cullen I'd be worried about...
A proud Winsome Fluter
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:I think that after Bath his options are limited - he can drop down a level to stay head coach or stay at the elite level as a unit coach for a couple of years to rebuild his reputation. He is the perfect fit for us in terms of what we can hope to attract - talented but damaged.
He's damaged goods alright – but has seen a lot and done a lot in the game, and experience is at a premium in the Leinster coaching staff. Bath played some absolutely cracking rugby the season before last, but the wheels came off entirely last season, and the same players [Ford Jnr., Joseph and Watson] were very impressive for Eddie Jones with England. Beyond that, I thought his handling of Burgess' departure was petty and, frankly, quite knobbish.

I don't think we're quite in the 'beggars can't be choosers' department yet, but the timing of McQuilkin's departure puts us in the next room. It's a difficult call for Leo to make though though, because you don't know if you're bringing in somebody who has had the corners knocked off him, is a bit chastened and just wants to get down to work, or if you're bringing in somebody who, once he gets comfortable, will have his eye on your job and not his own.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Parachuting Burgess in to promote Union in League while the RWC was on in England was a disaster from start to finish. Lancaster and Ford were put in an invidious position by the RFU, IMO. Anytime Ford spoke on TV in the last two seasons on the occasions of our matches with Bath, I thought he came across well. He and Girv would know each other from back in the day with Ireland, so it could work out very well. Here's hoping it does, if he gets the nod.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Mike Ford is an excellent guy who has a wealth of experience and it was only Bath's owner who lost faith in him. Leo has the Forwards coaching nouse to combine with Ford's defensive and backs coaching. Girv is more focussed on skills and execution of backs' coaching, whereas Ford has the overview of attacking plays, originally developed from his defensive and offensive experience at League and Union.

If Ford views the Leinster project as having good prospects, he would make an excellent addition to Coaching set-up. Combined with Farrell, they have huge wealth of experience of English players and teams and cannot but add to our back-room expertise. Sign him up!
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

While I do think Ford would be a potentially valuable addition it does appear that he lost the players at Bath last year. They finished 9th, having been 2nd the previous year.

The Burgess thing was a disaster, not entirely of his own making i accept but he handled the aftermath badly.

Also, thought he was far too vocal after George got dropped during the World Cup.

Maybe getting back across the Irish sea, to a different competition would be of benefit to him.

Funny the difference a year makes. If he'd somehow been available at the end of the 14/15 season he'd surely have got the top job ahead of Leo.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dirk Stickler wrote:
Funny the difference a year makes. If he'd somehow been available at the end of the 14/15 season he'd surely have got the top job ahead of Leo.
Leo had no business getting the top job.
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

But he's our Guy Noves!