Leinster v Gloucester Sat 20th August

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Gloucester Sat 20th August

Post by offshorerules »

To be honest with you my definition of a successful academy would be the bringing through of one or two players per annum. Surely the academy has achieved that, no?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

forwards don't count, no matter how good they are or how many caps they get, they don't count. Only backs, because backs are sssscchexy
I have Bumbleflex
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

offshorerules wrote:To be honest with you my definition of a successful academy would be the bringing through of one or two players per annum. Surely the academy has achieved that, no?
academy is successful at bringing through forwards, not as successful at bringing through backs.

It has to do both given rules are NIQ signing and the nature of irish rugby.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dave Cahill wrote:forwards don't count, no matter how good they are or how many caps they get, they don't count. Only backs, because backs are sssscchexy
Or forwards and backs count equally and both need to be developed in order for leinster rugby to continue to be successful.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

goreyguy wrote:
wixfjord wrote: Not at all, like most others on here, I come on the board for entertainment (and to skive off work).
However, you've made your point over and over (and over and over) meaning it's difficult to ignore to be honest. There's no need to keep rehashing it.
I wasn't rehashing it, just pointing out that while the academy deserves praise for their work with the forwards, they could be doing better with the backs.

Now i've had to spend several posts defending my right to post my opinion and to post that opinion on this forum.
I've yet to be warned by a moderator that my posting is disruptive or trolling and if I am I will take steps to address that.
So If you and whoever else was annoyed had just ignored the post and moved on, well that would have saved everyone some time.
It's not that you don't have a point, I think Wix is referring to your tendency to re-iterate the same point on quite number of threads all the while there are dedicated threads to the topic.

Like this one:
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24464
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Last edited by Peg Leg on August 22nd, 2016, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Or you could just give out about them here:
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24472
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Historically, i.e. Leinster & Irish under-age career to date, Byrne is probably well ahead in kicking stats and that has been one of his pluses.

Trying to compare Joey Carbery with Marsh or Byrne on actual match data to date is very difficult. IMO, Carbery has that indefinable ability of good out-halves to choose the best attacking options in last third of the pitch, coupled with the individual skill to cut open line breaks himself, or find an unexpected off-load to a team mate.

Ross Byrne has a much more dominant physique and appears to be a more-learned and disciplined out-half, largely doing what a coach would want in the different areas of the pitch. He may be easier for others to play with, on that basis.

Cathal Marsh improved significantly in the earlier part of last season but plateaued around about Christmas and seems to lose confidence in attack thereafter.

To me, Carbery looks like the only one of the three who might develop to regular international standard in due course. I saw a fair bit of him at U.20 level when he and Tomas Quinlan (Cork Con & Munster) under-studied Byrne. I thought his AIL knock-out performances last season for 'Tarf were excellent and he looked very confident in using his mid-field or taking opportunities himself. I would expect to see the impact of pre-season S&C work improve his defensive work this season, but the critical factor will be how well his game develops in managing our attacking potential.

If that part of his game prospers, I would be confident he might develop into a player like Ford or Cipriani and both of those guys are highly regarded by their peers. In my dreams, he might develop into a Matt Giteau, as he is very quiet off the pitch and may need to develop his personality to impose his vision on those around him.

Ross Byrne is more likely to develop into an out-half like Farrell but he needs to "love" his defensive role more than at present.

In comparative terms, Cathal Marsh is more like Scottish outhalf Ruaridh Jackson, competent on good days, but with occasional shockers which are a constant worry.

All in all, good competition to have below JS and a nice range of different strengths and weaknesses.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

So am I being thick pointing out some of our current squad? Notably Adam Byrne, Billy Dardis, Dave Kearney, Rob Kearney, Cathal Marsh, Fergus McFadden, Luke McGrath, Noel Reid, Gary Ringrose, and Johnny Sexton appears to be a reasonable return from the academy?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

Jesus, that kicked up a notch.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dirk Stickler wrote:Jesus, that kicked up a notch.
LMFAO!!!! :lol:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

goreyguy wrote:
I wasn't rehashing it, just pointing out that while the academy deserves praise for their work with the forwards, they could be doing better with the backs.

Now i've had to spend several posts defending my right to post my opinion and to post that opinion on this forum.
I've yet to be warned by a moderator that my posting is disruptive or trolling and if I am I will take steps to address that.
So If you and whoever else was annoyed had just ignored the post and moved on, well that would have saved everyone some time.
Of course, if you just kept your posts on that very same subject to one, or even two relevant threads instead of bringing it up again and again (as Peg Leg has illustrated), then that would save even more time. :wink:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

offshorerules wrote:To be honest with you my definition of a successful academy would be the bringing through of one or two players per annum. Surely the academy has achieved that, no?
own academy produced backs/total senior backs

14/21 Ulster 67%
11/18 Munster 61%
9/19 Connacht 47%
12/16 Leinster 75%
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
own academy produced backs/total senior backs

14/21 Ulster 67%
11/18 Munster 61%
9/19 Connacht 47%
12/16 Leinster 75%
The quality Vs quantity in a nutshell
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

wixfjord wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

Of course, if you just kept your posts on that very same subject to one, or even two relevant threads instead of bringing it up again and again (as Peg Leg has illustrated), then that would save even more time. :wink:
On the plus side. A lot of those threads contain some of the very good info he provides about Academy and underage rugby..... When he is not on one of his hobby horses.

None of us are perfect.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Now Simon, can you tell us the percentage of Leinster Academy products of a percentage of the other provinces?
Daniel Sullivan