Leinster v Gloucester Sat 20th August

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster v Gloucester Sat 20th August

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:Now Simon, can you tell us the percentage of Leinster Academy products of a percentage of the other provinces?
Its not that high, plus Connacht complicate things by signing guys from other provinces into their own academy

Ulster only have 3 players that played for/came through other provinces (O'Connor, Shanahan, Ah You) 28/49 academy produced

Munster have 4 (Copeland, Arnold, Keatley, Conway) so thats 2 Leinster academy; 30/42 academy produced

Connacht have 13/24 forwards from elsewhere, 11/19 backs, from other provinces:

JP Cooney (Munster underage)
Delahunt (Leinster sub academy)
White (Leinster)
Roux (Leinster)
Marshall (Leinster Academy)
Stevenson (Ulster)
Dillane (Munster underage)
Connolly (Leinster SC)
Carey (Ulster sub academy)
Cooney (Leinster academy)
Robb (Leinster underage)
Ronaldson (Leinster schools)
Adeolokun (Leinster sub academy)
Kelleher (Leinster academy)
Healy (Leinster schools)

Of our 42 man squad, 31 came through the academy, 5 played for other provinces (Cronin, Ross, Nagle, McCarthy, Henshaw)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

johng wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
I wasn't rehashing it, just pointing out that while the academy deserves praise for their work with the forwards, they could be doing better with the backs.

Now i've had to spend several posts defending my right to post my opinion and to post that opinion on this forum.
I've yet to be warned by a moderator that my posting is disruptive or trolling and if I am I will take steps to address that.
So If you and whoever else was annoyed had just ignored the post and moved on, well that would have saved everyone some time.
Of course, if you just kept your posts on that very same subject to one, or even two relevant threads instead of bringing it up again and again (as Peg Leg has illustrated), then that would save even more time. :wink:
On the plus side. A lot of those threads contain some of the very good info he provides about Academy and underage rugby..... When he is not on one of his hobby horses.

None of us are perfect.
I agree. GG is one of the best sources of invariably reliable info on the academy- and he's never nasty. So while he can indeed be wearing on those "retreads" he's due a bit of slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sorry but what were the constant :roll: :roll: :roll: directed at people who disagree with him, and even sometimes when people agree with him, other than nasty? and hes made plenty of abusive comments to other people

maybe nasty isn't the right word, but taking peoples ideas/posts from here and posting them in other boards as his own, often after slagging the people here over them, is a d**k move

know team fortunes play a part but the amount of traffic here has been going way down the last 12-18 months
and yes I accept people like me reacting probably aint helping at times

but do we want this season to be another one of the exact same conversation derailing every single thread?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

johng wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
I wasn't rehashing it, just pointing out that while the academy deserves praise for their work with the forwards, they could be doing better with the backs.

Now i've had to spend several posts defending my right to post my opinion and to post that opinion on this forum.
I've yet to be warned by a moderator that my posting is disruptive or trolling and if I am I will take steps to address that.
So If you and whoever else was annoyed had just ignored the post and moved on, well that would have saved everyone some time.
Of course, if you just kept your posts on that very same subject to one, or even two relevant threads instead of bringing it up again and again (as Peg Leg has illustrated), then that would save even more time. :wink:
On the plus side. A lot of those threads contain some of the very good info he provides about Academy and underage rugby..... When he is not on one of his hobby horses.

None of us are perfect.
I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I get a load of value from those threads.
But again, my point is that making the same point over and over in thread after thread is at best annoying and repetitive, and as someone has said at worst trolling.
I don't actually disagree per se with the point he's making about academy forwards versus backs, but when it's literally made multiple times every few weeks in different threads it becomes spam.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
offshorerules wrote:To be honest with you my definition of a successful academy would be the bringing through of one or two players per annum. Surely the academy has achieved that, no?
own academy produced backs/total senior backs

14/21 Ulster 67%
11/18 Munster 61%
9/19 Connacht 47%
12/16 Leinster 75%
Given the way irish and leinster rugby is set up i.e limited NIQ's and biggest playing population, leinster will always have a high number of academy players in their squad. Also i've never claimed leinster have always done a poor job at developing quality backs. They've just done so recently and that is reflected in the squad at the moment.

It comes down to quality, and leinster stopped developing high quality backs for awhile.. hopefully that is changing and Ringrose/McGrath can step up and be 1st choice quality backs for Leinster. Because the last leinster developed back to do that was quite a few years ago.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

None of us are perfect.
Couldn't agree more, think gg provides a huge amount of info to this forum. Massive resource. Considering the gra for the underage game it's not surprising that he holds them to account so often.
As I've said before,
Thanks gg.
But does every thread have to go the same way? Getting a bit like Godwin's law at this stage.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

You see this is exactly why I get pissed off about this. Here we have a thread about the Gloucester game. There are already multiple other threads about the Academy and/or our development of players as Peg pointed out. And yet we've now spent 2 pages talking about the Academy and our development of players and not talking about the Gloucester game. If people want to talk about the Academy then there are already enough other places to do it. We don't need to be doing it here as well. I think we have all our bases covered on that front already. Wouldn't it be great if you could go onto a thread to talk about what the thread is about? That may seem like a wonderfully new and innovative concept, but I assure you it isn't.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

molloyjh wrote:You see this is exactly why I get pissed off about this. Here we have a thread about the Gloucester game. There are already multiple other threads about the Academy and/or our development of players as Peg pointed out. And yet we've now spent 2 pages talking about the Academy and our development of players and not talking about the Gloucester game. If people want to talk about the Academy then there are already enough other places to do it. We don't need to be doing it here as well. I think we have all our bases covered on that front already. Wouldn't it be great if you could go onto a thread to talk about what the thread is about? That may seem like a wonderfully new and innovative concept, but I assure you it isn't.
I'm fairly sure that us mods don't have enough time to be splitting every thread that goes off-topic, but maybe there could be scope for us to be a bit more pro-active in this regard.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

limecat wrote:
molloyjh wrote:You see this is exactly why I get pissed off about this. Here we have a thread about the Gloucester game. There are already multiple other threads about the Academy and/or our development of players as Peg pointed out. And yet we've now spent 2 pages talking about the Academy and our development of players and not talking about the Gloucester game. If people want to talk about the Academy then there are already enough other places to do it. We don't need to be doing it here as well. I think we have all our bases covered on that front already. Wouldn't it be great if you could go onto a thread to talk about what the thread is about? That may seem like a wonderfully new and innovative concept, but I assure you it isn't.
I'm fairly sure that us mods don't have enough time to be splitting every thread that goes off-topic, but maybe there could be scope for us to be a bit more pro-active in this regard.
Just for the record that wasn't a go at the mods at all. Given that most/all of us here are adults we shouldn't really need that level of supervision.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Hey Limecat and the mod crew, you guys do enough for the money you get. As Johng so ably demonstrated, the site is fairly good at the self regulation bit.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Highlights provided by Gloucester, of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT988EY ... e=youtu.be
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

goreyguy wrote:Highlights provided by Gloucester, of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT988EY ... e=youtu.be
How many forward passes are you allowed in one try? We seemed to have at least two for our last try.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Cheers for that, I was too lazy to go on Saturday. Some very dodgy looking tries alright, last one in particular. Some poor defence too.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

the spoofer wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Highlights provided by Gloucester, of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT988EY ... e=youtu.be
How many forward passes are you allowed in one try? We seemed to have at least two for our last try.
First one came off a foot or Gloucester hand IIRC. Second looked dodgy but those basketball passes often do.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

molloyjh wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
First one came off a foot or Gloucester hand IIRC. Second looked dodgy but those basketball passes often do.
you wouldnt get away with them in super rugby and

some nice holding players into a ruck by Nagle to create McCrathy's first try though

still they did well to win against a team boasting 10 internationals with 295 caps between them (we had 5 with 70)