Friendly v Bath in Donnybrook

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Friendly v Bath in Donnybrook

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just scanning the Bath site and viewed match reports on their two away game victories against Leeds Carnegie (14-20) and Scarlets (17-32)thus far.

Their Squad against Scarlets is a good reminder of what's in store this weekend:
15. Homer;14. Williams; 13. Joseph; 12. Clark; 11. Banahan; 10. Priestland; 9. Fotuali'i; 1. Auterac; 2. Dunn; 3. Thomas; 4. Attwood; 5. Ewels; 6. Denton; 7. Mercer (c); 8. Faleteau.
Bench: Batty, Catt, Palmer-Newport, Charteris, Garvey, Ellis, Sisi,, Homer, Ford, Watson & Davies.

Not too many "Academy-youngsters" in that lot and more like a decent Tour Party a la Ba-Bas. Fasten your seat-belts and lets hope Leo & Girv have explained fully what's required from here on in - kill or be killed!
Last edited by limecat on August 23rd, 2016, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed venue in subject line
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Friendly v Bath in RDS

Post by cormac »

this game is in Donnybrook, not the RDS
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Bath going for 3 away pre season games, we have 3 home ones, strange
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

simonokeeffe wrote:Bath going for 3 away pre season games, we have 3 home ones, strange
Maybe they think goin out on the road is good for squad bonding?.....
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

riocard911 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Bath going for 3 away pre season games, we have 3 home ones, strange
Maybe they think goin out on the road is good for squad bonding?.....
Their history of squad bonding is in A class of its own and not to be sniffed at, if you can read between the lines on that

That and they keep signing Welsh players

This game should be a good trial by fire for the younger players
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

Given the horror show of a season they had last year and the fact that there's new management in place, maybe they figured it'd be best to go away together.

Really looking forward to this game now.

Anyone know if we'll see Gibson-Park at some stage, or is he getting a break?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I have always assumed that the two teams coaches put their heads together and decide what sort of selections they are going to make to ensure a decent match.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Dirk Stickler wrote:Given the horror show of a season they had last year and the fact that there's new management in place, maybe they figured it'd be best to go away together.

Really looking forward to this game now.

Anyone know if we'll see Gibson-Park at some stage, or is he getting a break?
Can't see why JG-P needs a break he never played more than 20 minutes in any of the Canes' games. Most weeks he only got about 12 minutes as they liked to keep Perenara on as long as possible especially if the games were tight. Gibson-Park should be very fresh as he's now had a couple of weeks since the Super final.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He'll get plenty of time off during the season as well.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He'll get plenty of time off during the season as well.
International windows and normal rotation or do you mean riding pine?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Yeah international breaks.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Yeah international breaks.
Gotcha. Think he could for us, and McGrath as a gatekeeper/end of level boss
Was wondering if we'll see our fringe/squad Ireland players for this one but thats really only Cronin, rest are all rehabbing or had busy tours
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Any chance of some of the seniors getting a run out for this or are they still on break? Wouldn't mind seeing Cronin, Toner, Heaslip, McGrath, Rossy (metaphorically :lol: ), Kearneys et al stretch their legs a bit.

Don't get me wrong I love seeing the young fellas get games, but we've a tough start to the new season and would put my mind at ease knowing our first team isn't starting totally cold
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Any chance of some of the seniors getting a run out for this or are they still on break? Wouldn't mind seeing Cronin, Toner, Heaslip, McGrath, Rossy (metaphorically :lol: ), Kearneys et al stretch their legs a bit.

Don't get me wrong I love seeing the young fellas get games, but we've a tough start to the new season and would put my mind at ease knowing our first team isn't starting totally cold
Was thinking much the same.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Any chance of some of the seniors getting a run out for this or are they still on break? Wouldn't mind seeing Cronin, Toner, Heaslip, McGrath, Rossy (metaphorically :lol: ), Kearneys et al stretch their legs a bit.

I would think Cronin is the only one of that group who is even remotely likely to feature this weekend or even against Treviso. We could be very light on experience at prop for the start of the season. Probably one of the reasons why the likes of Porter and Abdeladze have been getting gametime in the friendlies so far.

Don't think we'll see the likes of Heaslip, Toner or Jack McGrath until game 3 or 4 of the season.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Re: Friendly v Bath in Donnybrook

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Think I heard somewhere internationals have a staggered return to play varying on gametime...
Pretty sure the minimum return is first league game which the likes of Cronin, Ruddock if fit might come back for????
Rest all had a bit of game time on tour....would be nice to get them back ASAP to get into the splaying structure and avoid the slow start like last year post WC
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Think I heard somewhere internationals have a staggered return to play varying on gametime...
Pretty sure the minimum return is first league game which the likes of Cronin, Ruddock if fit might come back for????
Rest all had a bit of game time on tour....would be nice to get them back ASAP to get into the splaying structure and avoid the slow start like last year post WC
Don't think our preparation for the first ECC game this season will be as bad as last year. We never got a chance last season to play the first-choice side before the home game against Wasps with most of the players who'd been to the RWC either featuring in the away game v Treviso or at home to the Scarlets but not in both. At the very least I'd expect us to be picking a first choice outfit for the home game v Munster the week before the Castres game and, barring injured players, we'll probably have a full deck to play with by the fourth game (Cardiff at home) of the season. There's also the factor that last season the internationals had been away at Camp Joe for a couple of months and were coming back to a new coaching regime at Leinster. Neither of those should be an issue this year.
Last edited by cormac on August 23rd, 2016, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Honestly thought that our biggest problem in that first Wasps game was Madigan playing 15. He was absolutely dreadful. For all the other factors that went into that collapse, a proper fullback would have had us right in the game IMO.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Honestly thought that our biggest problem in that first Wasps game was Madigan playing 15. He was absolutely dreadful. For all the other factors that went into that collapse, a proper fullback would have had us right in the game IMO.
I'd say his performance increased the margin of defeat rather than it being the main reason for the loss. We were a clueless rabble that day. We never looked like scoring a try, while if they'd had a bit more belief they'd have gotten the four-try bonus point.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Think I heard somewhere internationals have a staggered return to play varying on gametime...
Considering the bad foot we got off to against Glasgow away at the start of the 2014/2015 season - after which IMO everything essentially went downhill - I think we should put out our absolutely strongest possible team against the Warriors in order to try and win that match and put down a marker for the rest of the season.