Leinster V Treviso 02/09/16 19:35

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Re: Leinster V Treviso 02/09/16 19:35

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

You know you're doing bad when you've the worst hair style on the pitch. And you didn't even do the shave or dye. Looking at you Jordi
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Irish_Rugby_Fan

Post by Irish_Rugby_Fan »

20 - 8 to Leinster
Very poor
1 minute to go to get the bonus point

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

That is a point dropped. I like what they appear to be trying to do but it was not working due to basic skills issues and decision making. Every break or attack appeared to end in a knock on or pointless kicking away of the ball. They need to know when to hold on to the ball. The last play was the best example. Rory should have held it and gone to ground. Cannot blame a young guy for looking to off load but maybe not the right move at the time.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Fireworks wrote:That is a point dropped. I like what they appear to be trying to do but it was not working due to basic skills issues and decision making. Every break or attack appeared to end in a knock on or pointless kicking away of the ball. They need to know when to hold on to the ball. The last play was the best example. Rory should have held it and gone to ground. Cannot blame a young guy for looking to off load but maybe not the right move at the time.
Harsh on Rory. That pass had to go or he was in touch. I'd rather a failed pass at the death than being dragged into touch
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Fireworks wrote:That is a point dropped. I like what they appear to be trying to do but it was not working due to basic skills issues and decision making. Every break or attack appeared to end in a knock on or pointless kicking away of the ball. They need to know when to hold on to the ball. The last play was the best example. Rory should have held it and gone to ground. Cannot blame a young guy for looking to off load but maybe not the right move at the time.
Harsh on Rory. That pass had to go or he was in touch. I'd rather a failed pass at the death than being dragged into touch
He should have put the head down and drove infield. That's what Mcfadden or D Kearney would have done. He is very inexperienced so I wouldn't really blame him but it was typical of our performance overall. A lot of really poor decisions made out there!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Gibson Park oozes class although I suppose its easier coming on in the last quarter. Joey was superb, he will have a job living up that performance
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Dire enough stuff....not picking up a bonus point is criminal, I know it's early days but could possibly be looking back with regret come business end
Thought Healy was back to a decent level, leavy and JVDF worked hard throughout and carried well...we lacked a ball carrying threat in the forward pack like a Ruddock/Cronin type carrier
Luke Mc not great, Gibson park will pressure him big time
Joey Carberry was sensational and could be a huge player for us
No imagination in the back 3 and please please play Ringrose in the CENTER!!!!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

BlueStreak wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:
He should have put the head down and drove infield. That's what Mcfadden or D Kearney would have done. He is very inexperienced so I wouldn't really blame him but it was typical of our performance overall. A lot of really poor decisions made out there!
New breed of player. Looks to play instead of head down hard yards sort of stuff. Can't have high reward without high risk
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Sorry to say that once again Reid offered nothing ... We had no midfield to speak of all night
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

The outhalf stocks look a fair bit stronger after that showing by Carbery. Can anyone honestly say that they'd still like to see someone brought in to back up Sexton? We've got Sexton, Carbery, Marsh and Byrne, and it would be terrible to see Carbery's progress stunted by a stop-gap signing
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

A seriously mixed bag. I actually enjoyed a lot of our attacking play, surprised at the negativity above. Completely agree that we threw the ball away needlessly but the creativity was there.

Great start. Loved the mix of short and long passes, who the first receiver was, forwards popping up and showing nice hands and taking short balls at pace and on good angles. Carbery's passing was top notch, he had loads of nice little moments even before his try. We seemed to be far more decisive than last season when moving the ball wide. There were a few nice floated passes to the wing that helped us make good ground.

All of that pretty much disappeared as the game went on though. I thought our problem was holding onto the ball once we'd made a break but instead of doing that we seemed to just go into ourselves and play fairly predictable stuff.

Not happy with Ringrose on the wing. Everything he did was class but we didn't get involve him enough and Zane was a bit of a passenger for parts of the game. I wouldn't be ecstatic about Zane on the wing either but can't understand what the coaches see in him as a 13.

Set piece was very poor. I thought our bench would solve that and give us a bit more structure but it didn't really. The try we conceded was very poor as well. There were plenty of just simple missed tackles throughout the game, Reid was guilty a few times.

I think part of the reason I'm not too frustrated is because I was so happy with Carbery's performance, Healy looked better than he has in at least a year, and because I never actually felt the result was in doubt even when it was 15-8 and we were making mistakes. Had the atmosphere been tense I'd probably have been more annoyed.

I'd expect us to stop blowing chances like we did but the set piece worries me given that people complained a out it during preseason too.

Also I watched JGP warming up with Marsh for a while and his pass is absolute bullet. He didn't quite show it when he came on but it was frighteningly quick. He looked good when he came on.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

leinsterforever wrote:The outhalf stocks look a fair bit stronger after that showing by Carbery. Can anyone honestly say that they'd still like to see someone brought in to back up Sexton? We've got Sexton, Carbery, Marsh and Byrne, and it would be terrible to see Carbery's progress stunted by a stop-gap signing
Yes I honestly would. He was brilliant but it was Treviso at home and he wasn't taking the kicks. He looks like an extremely confident guy but I still think it's borderline negligent to have such an inexperienced guy as backup. It looks like it might pay off but it's still a massive risk.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Can't understand Ringrose on the wing. It's such a waste of his intelligence in defence and his ability to create stuff for others
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

leinsterforever wrote:Can't understand Ringrose on the wing. It's such a waste of his intelligence in defence and his ability to create stuff for others
As much as I agree, thought he played well. Can definitely see him playing there for Ireland initially.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

It was an odd game alright. Whitehouse allowed a contest at the ruck (which is fine) and bodies to lie on the wrong side (which is not fine). We never seemed to grasp what needed to be done to speed up/secure our ball. The lineout and scrum malfunctions were irritating and need to be addressed. It was however a very promising performance from Carbery. I also thought Leavy showed decent intelligence at 8 (a position that I didn't know he could play) and Ringrose looked very sharp in attack and defence. Gibson Park looked very good coming off the bench. He could end up sharing the role with McGrath like Reddan and Boss used to i.e. Home and Away scrum halves.

A lot to work on for next week but non need to panic just yet.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

McGrath does not have the skills for a top class scrum half, if carbery got a fast accurate service, we would see the best of our mid-field including Reid. Ringrose at 13 is a great idea but he possily has International potential in the mind of JS - on the wing.

Up front, we must have a major improvement in our front five scrum work and select a back - row in position. Whether Fogarty is a good enough scrum coach is a serios question. Byrne is not yet a Pro12 starter. Nice feet, decent throw to 2 or 4, but not a good enough scrummagger or physical presence.

Crowley will make Treviso hard to beat and a lot more professional. They will finish 6-9 this season and take some scalps.

IMO, JGP and Joey Carbery will be a revelation and the bedrock of our season, but lets get a bit more hard-nosed up front. More bodies cleaning out rucks, a couple of puck and go through the middle and fast clear-outs by Scrumhalf with ball through the hands.

Leo must be ruthless in demanding these standards.
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:You know you're doing bad when you've the worst hair style on the pitch. And you didn't even do the shave or dye. Looking at you Jordi
Your post couldn't be more Leinster!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

rookie wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:You know you're doing bad when you've the worst hair style on the pitch. And you didn't even do the shave or dye. Looking at you Jordi
Your post couldn't be more Leinster!
Can't always be discussing crop yields and livestock prices Rookie.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Watched the first half again.

Bit of a nightmare first 15 for Noel. Great break from the kickoff but then got blocked down, gave away two penalties, and totally lost touch with Zane when Zane shot up. Terrible decision by Zane too btw.

Leavy was better than I thought when watching live, turns out I kept mixing him up with Molony. Made a couple of excellent turnovers and had one lovely offload. I'd still like to see him on the ball more though. Josh was also excellent.

Think Luke had two poor passes and a pointless box kick but was very good apart from that. Ferg looked very sharp too.

Carbery was just class, looked like he's incapable of dropping a ball.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oh and the defence for their try was shocking. We were clearly blowing very hard but it was still really poor.