Euro Squad 16/17

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Euro Squad 16/17

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Personally I think he's ready now.
For Europe though?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I wouldn't worry about him in any game at any level tbh, including internationals. That doesn't mean he shouldn't try and put on weight if he can, but I don't think he needs it to survive. Much like Ringrose his technique is top notch in everything he does, doesn't just rely on size.
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

I wouldn’t mind seeing Ryan at some stage but this is one area where Leo really should be the best judge.

Presumably he’s not hitting the S&C targets (not an issue for Porter) required for the step up. A year to build himself will only be a good thing long term.

I imagine he’ll be pushing pretty hard next season…and will then captain the Lions to victory in 2021.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Yeah I wouldn't worry about him in any game at any level tbh, including internationals. That doesn't mean he shouldn't try and put on weight if he can, but I don't think he needs it to survive. Much like Ringrose his technique is top notch in everything he does, doesn't just rely on size.
Left side of the scrum rather thsn right side though at this stage?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wouldn't even be thinking about him to play on the LH side tbh. If he played TH and wasn't up to it then yeah send him to Five Guys with a few vouchers and see him again in a few months, but I reckon he'd be fine.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

In two minds about all this chat urging Ryan to be fast tracked. On the one hand he is just 2 years younger than Molony. They were 2nd row partners in the 2012 SCT Final (which Gary Ringrose won for Rock) when Molony Captained Michael's and Ryan was a 4th year.

2nd season out of school (2014-15season), which is the stage Ryan is at now, Molony got 2 PRO12 sub appearances - I expect Ryan will do likewise towards end of this season before pushing on in 2017-18.

I have been very surprised, and a tad concerned tbh, at how much weight he put on in the 12 months since leaving school (June 2015). His face has changed shape. Talk of 12kgs in 12 months is way off the mark....I know you are trying to pull it back/justify it simonokeefe...but it was an OTT remark.

Both Molony and Ryan are naturally tall, rangy men and leaders too. Molony's DNA is to remain tall and rangy, his old man is 6'6" and athletic. Ryan's old man was a blockier, but fairly tall, blind-side wing forward for Lansdowne and Leinster and maybe he can take some more weight, but I think 116 territory should be his limit.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

goreyguy wrote:
Ryan will be ready next season for consistent gametime, although I expect him to make his debut this season.
The voice of reason. :)
backrower8 wrote:In two minds about all this chat urging Ryan to be fast tracked. On the one hand he is just 2 years younger than Molony. They were 2nd row partners in the 2012 SCT Final (which Gary Ringrose won for Rock) when Molony Captained Michael's and Ryan was a 4th year.

2nd season out of school (2014-15season), which is the stage Ryan is at now, Molony got 2 PRO12 sub appearances - I expect Ryan will do likewise towards end of this season before pushing on in 2017-18.

I have been very surprised, and a tad concerned tbh, at how much weight he put on in the 12 months since leaving school (June 2015). His face has changed shape. Talk of 12kgs in 12 months is way off the mark....I know you are trying to pull it back/justify it simonokeefe...but it was an OTT remark.

Both Molony and Ryan are naturally tall, rangy men and leaders too. Molony's DNA is to remain tall and rangy, his old man is 6'6" and athletic. Ryan's old man was a blockier, but fairly tall, blind-side wing forward for Lansdowne and Leinster and maybe he can take some more weight, but I think 116 territory should be his limit.
Similarly reasoned voice. With some excellent info on their genes and school career.

We all want to see James Ryan asap because he looks like that perfect combo of Athleticism, Power and most importantly Rugby brain and attitude.

We just need to notch back a little and let it happen naturally. I'm sure he would give an excellent account of himself at almost any level, but let's ease him in. Pro 12 this season. Europe next. He could end up playing into his late 30s if he is lucky with injury, so there's no fire.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I think the call for both Molony and Ryan to put on X amount of weight each is fairly stupid. The 3/4 of the best locks in the world at the moment, Itoje, Retallick and Whitelock, are all around the 115 mark but as was said they're technique is second to none. You don't see New Zealand struggle at scrum time do you?

Sam Whitelock, 6'8" and 114kg
Maro Itoje, 6'5" and 116kg
Brodie Retallick, 6'9" and 117kg

Ryan especially I can see becoming a first-receiver style second row in the mould of Retallick or Muldowney. Certainly seems to have the skills to do it anyway, especially important now that Leinster seem to playing a much wider game this season.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
Ryan will be ready next season for consistent gametime, although I expect him to make his debut this season.
The voice of reason. :)
backrower8 wrote:In two minds about all this chat urging Ryan to be fast tracked. On the one hand he is just 2 years younger than Molony. They were 2nd row partners in the 2012 SCT Final (which Gary Ringrose won for Rock) when Molony Captained Michael's and Ryan was a 4th year.

Similarly reasoned voice. With some excellent info on their genes and school career.

We all want to see James Ryan asap because he looks like that perfect combo of Athleticism, Power and most importantly Rugby brain and attitude.

We just need to notch back a little and let it happen naturally. I'm sure he would give an excellent account of himself at almost any level, but let's ease him in. Pro 12 this season. Europe next. He could end up playing into his late 30s if he is lucky with injury, so there's no fire.
Sheeesh....

In other news, shiny light weight , rangey gold bandwagon for sale, very low mileage, minor damage from hitting an obstacle on its first run out.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

have said about 3 times now that 12kg (over 15 months) was predicated on false premise of him not having played AIL this year thus giving him massively extebded preseason as well as not being exact science or legally binding, and thats if his listed weight is even correct, and hey 108 to 120 is some nice rounding off

The 3 Bok locks are all around that height and weight combo and theyre world class

can people stop acting like I said Luke McGrath should be locked in the disabled toilet of a New Zealand airport with a fallen woman to make him a better passer
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

erskinechilders wrote:I think the call for both Molony and Ryan to put on X amount of weight each is fairly stupid. The 3/4 of the best locks in the world at the moment, Itoje, Retallick and Whitelock, are all around the 115 mark but as was said they're technique is second to none. You don't see New Zealand struggle at scrum time do you?

Ryan especially I can see becoming a first-receiver style second row in the mould of Retallick or Muldowney. Certainly seems to have the skills to do it anyway, especially important now that Leinster seem to playing a much wider game this season.
Where are you getting your stats? It says on Wikipedia that Retallick is 121kg

I agree with your general point, though. Paul O'Connell played tighthead lock a lot of the time and I believe he was around the 110-112kg mark
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not sure if people are referring to my comments when they say he shouldn't be fast tracked...but that's not what I said at all. I just said that he'd be ready if called upon.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

leinsterforever wrote:
erskinechilders wrote:I think the call for both Molony and Ryan to put on X amount of weight each is fairly stupid. The 3/4 of the best locks in the world at the moment, Itoje, Retallick and Whitelock, are all around the 115 mark but as was said they're technique is second to none. You don't see New Zealand struggle at scrum time do you?

Where are you getting your stats? It says on Wikipedia that Retallick is 121kg

I agree with your general point, though. Paul O'Connell played tighthead lock a lot of the time and I believe he was around the 110-112kg mark
If that is what Wikepedia say then that must be right. They are very careful in checking all the facts and figures published on their site.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Somewhat tangential, but still relevant to the convo in this thread. According to Murray K on Twitter, Ringrose put on 4kg of muscle over the summer. It's showing too, bumped off Earls very nicely the other day.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:Somewhat tangential, but still relevant to the convo in this thread. According to Murray K on Twitter, Ringrose put on 4kg of muscle over the summer. It's showing too, bumped off Earls very nicely the other day.
see the benefits of not benchwarming on a foreign tour

if that 4kg is lean ie pure muscle then that is good work for a guy that size and in that timeframe, and hasnt slowed him down at all, dont want to turn him into Jame Roberts
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

wixfjord wrote:Somewhat tangential, but still relevant to the convo in this thread. According to Murray K on Twitter, Ringrose put on 4kg of muscle over the summer. It's showing too, bumped off Earls very nicely the other day.
And POM in the first half.