Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby simonokeeffe » April 9th, 2017, 9:55 pm

wixfjord wrote:Really enjoyed this podcast with Lancaster, lots of deep insight into his approach:
http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.302/96703/0/

Love the 'comfortable in chaos' approach. It sounds like they've been doing lots of unstructured training at high intensity. Should help is against a side like Clermont.

listened to first 40 so far

he showed squad second half of Northampton HC win in 2011 and said this is the way I want to play
80% of his sessions are unstructured rugby and then he video reviews them

SH coaching is an ambition at some point (Fanning probably fishing off that)

really worth a listen
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen

Postby johng » April 10th, 2017, 11:04 am

wixfjord wrote:Really enjoyed this podcast with Lancaster, lots of deep insight into his approach:

Love the 'comfortable in chaos' approach. It sounds like they've been doing lots of unstructured training at high intensity. Should help is against a side like Clermont.

Listened to it in a park in Bristol yesterday. Very encouraging.
johng
Leo Cullen

Postby Oldschool » April 10th, 2017, 11:38 am

simonokeeffe wrote:

listened to first 40 so far

he showed squad second half of Northampton HC win in 2011 and said this is the way I want to play
80% of his sessions are unstructured rugby
and then he video reviews them

SH coaching is an ambition at some point (Fanning probably fishing off that)

really worth a listen

I dub thee - Bomberball
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Devin Toner

Postby EarthGorilla » April 10th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Great interview that. Have heard some of the soundbites before but he does genuinely seem happy here and we are very lucky to have him.
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Postby riocard911 » April 10th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Thanks for the link. Just had a listen. The guy has "hundreds of books" at his little teach in Donnybrook, which he has bought "since" he arrived? SL is a serious thinker on all aspects of the game. I second EarthGorilla's sentiment: we are very lucky to have him. I was suitable impressed how he made a point of name checking the various opponents we have ahead of us, thereby paying them the necessary respect. Getting ahead of ourselves would be the biggest mistake we could make at this stage. Lancaster is aware of that, I'm glad to report!
riocard911
Enlightened

Postby Ruckedtobits » April 10th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Absolutely agree. A great interviewee but fair dos to Ger Gilroy for a string of questions which were searching but never rude or aggressive. SL is truly a fan (atic) of rugby and having heard from him of the nuts and bolts of his role and how that interacts with Leo, Girv and Fogs I believe we should be very grateful that this opportunity will be with us for a couple more seasons.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey

Postby wixfjord » April 10th, 2017, 6:39 pm

He sounds a little bit like Schmidt in terms of his fanaticism about learning about rugby and coaching, but completely opposite to Schmidt in terms of his willingness to be unstructured and relatively laissez faire with players after they cross the white line.
wixfjord
Girvan Dempsey

Postby simonokeeffe » April 10th, 2017, 7:14 pm

I concur with Bomberball
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen

Postby ronk » April 10th, 2017, 9:13 pm

wixfjord wrote:He sounds a little bit like Schmidt in terms of his fanaticism about learning about rugby and coaching, but completely opposite to Schmidt in terms of his willingness to be unstructured and relatively laissez faire with players after they cross the white line.

He rolled back on being completely unstructured. Partly I think because of 1st phase ball, but also because of the defensive influence of Farrell.

Defensively Farrell (and Leinster) work to break attacking structures. It's the key that Scotland used to beat us.

We're fairly adaptive in terms of switching between schemes such as ruck numbers (as are many teams). Very few teams can hold shape against a defence that alters pace like that.

Ospreys did it well against us. If we setup to go wide around a blitz they would accept and drift while we did our moves safely in front of them. Being able to continue moving the ball while Carbery or JGP were tied up meant that they couldn't reset as well.

We're trying to get into position at pace because we have to to stretch defences. Error count is naturally high and would be higher if everyone needed to be precisely ready.

Kirchner getting held up showed that we still have a way to go.
ronk
Devin Toner

Postby neiliog93 » April 14th, 2017, 2:57 am

Really good insight. Radio can really be superior to tv for in-depth interviews.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly

Previous

Return to Leinster Addicts