Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby Laighin Break » December 7th, 2018, 10:04 am

We're only a couple of month into the season and the media are speculating about Lancaster's future. How long will we have to put up with this?
They spent months speculating about Joe and trying to force an answer from him, now that that's done it's just on to someone else :x
User avatar
Laighin Break
Enlightened
 
Posts: 894
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby mildlyinterested » December 7th, 2018, 10:12 am

Laighin Break wrote:We're only a couple of month into the season and the media are speculating about Lancaster's future. How long will we have to put up with this?
They spent months speculating about Joe and trying to force an answer from him, now that that's done it's just on to someone else :x


to be fair he is out of contract at the end of the season and retaining him is of highest priority.

I wonder when they will start on player contracts.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby deco » December 7th, 2018, 11:18 am

mildlyinterested wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:We're only a couple of month into the season and the media are speculating about Lancaster's future. How long will we have to put up with this?
They spent months speculating about Joe and trying to force an answer from him, now that that's done it's just on to someone else :x


to be fair he is out of contract at the end of the season and retaining him is of highest priority.

I wonder when they will start on player contracts.


I'd say they've well started with the contracts (not that they're worth the paper they're written on these days). Leinster tend to announce them later than most and in one or two tranches.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
User avatar
deco
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:33 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby mildlyinterested » December 7th, 2018, 11:23 am

deco wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:We're only a couple of month into the season and the media are speculating about Lancaster's future. How long will we have to put up with this?
They spent months speculating about Joe and trying to force an answer from him, now that that's done it's just on to someone else :x


to be fair he is out of contract at the end of the season and retaining him is of highest priority.

I wonder when they will start on player contracts.


I'd say they've well started with the contracts (not that they're worth the paper they're written on these days). Leinster tend to announce them later than most and in one or two tranches.


Oh leinster has started a long time ago, I meant to the press asking questions about players they know who are out of contract, peddling rumours etc.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on December 7th, 2018, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby Oldschool » December 7th, 2018, 11:54 am

Best thing that Leinster can do to convince Lancaster to stay is to win the back to backs against Bath.
C'mon Leinster, C'mon Stuart.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby mildlyinterested » December 10th, 2018, 2:31 pm

"There's definitely talks ongoing," he said of his negotiations with his current employers.

"I'm happy with where I'm at. The family situation works, it's not ideal and I've said that consistently that flying backwards and forwards, my daughter's just gone to university and my son is a year away from going to university. I occasionally see my wife.

"But yeah I'm certainly happy with Leinster but we'll see how it all plays out.

"It's up to Andy to build his coaching team. The reality is he needs his coaching team to be ready by January 2020.

"I've not caught up with him actually since the announcement, I will do soon I'm sure and it will be up to him to shape that. I'll have that conversation with him.

"He's the right man for the job in my opinion, I think that when Joe announced he was going there was only one person I felt was qualified to do the job and that was Andy.

"He's sat as an assistant coach for eight years now, four with me and four with Joe.

"And when you're sat in that assistant coaching role you can learn a lot about what you would do when you get your chance and Andy has got the opportunity now over the next six to nine months to put that into place.

"I think of my appointment as England head coach, I got it in December and my first game was in January. Andy's got a year to decide what he wants to do, so I don't think he'll be in a hurry.

"I enjoy club coaching, the day to day stuff. For me it is all about the role that I would do that would give me the best opportunity to keep developing as a leader.

"But it's up to Andy to formulate his plans, but one thing is for certain he will always get my 110% support."

Lancaster said he had not given much thought to a return to his position as England coach, despite interim RFU chief executive Nigel Melville's recent comments saying the union would be open to talking to the coach who presided over the country's home World Cup quarter-final exit.

"I think they suggested that every coach in world rugby is of interest, I don't think it's narrowed down to me," he said.

"I think that was the way it was described, but I think Nigel Melville said they'd be happy to talk to any coach and I'd fall into that category."

"It's a hypothetical situation because it's never been suggested. I've never spoken to Nigel Melville or the RFU so I don't even exercise my mind thinking about it."


https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 11147.html
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby blockhead » December 23rd, 2018, 11:48 pm

Bomber on the BBC
"The one thing I've learned is that, for me, it's all about the role and the people," Lancaster told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme.

"After the World Cup I went to Australia. One of the people I met was [England rugby league coach] Wayne Bennett, who told me whatever I did or wherever I went to make sure I 100% wanted to go there and they 100% wanted me to come. It was probably the best advice I was given, and I genuinely feel that at Leinster.

"The role is a hands-on coaching role, which I really enjoy. It's with good people in a talented squad, it suits my family, which is hugely important because you put them through a huge amount when you are a national coach.

"It's not ideal because I don't live at home in Leeds but I can get home to see the family so it would take a strong position outside of Leinster for me to leave because it's such a good environment to be in."
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5041
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby Ruckedtobits » December 24th, 2018, 8:58 am

blockhead wrote:Bomber on the BBC
"The one thing I've learned is that, for me, it's all about the role and the people," Lancaster told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme.

"After the World Cup I went to Australia. One of the people I met was [England rugby league coach] Wayne Bennett, who told me whatever I did or wherever I went to make sure I 100% wanted to go there and they 100% wanted me to come. It was probably the best advice I was given, and I genuinely feel that at Leinster.

"The role is a hands-on coaching role, which I really enjoy. It's with good people in a talented squad, it suits my family, which is hugely important because you put them through a huge amount when you are a national coach.

"It's not ideal because I don't live at home in Leeds but I can get home to see the family so it would take a strong position outside of Leinster for me to leave because it's such a good environment to be in."


It was a decent length interview in which the Presenter eventually confirmed with him that unless a really outstanding opportunity arose, he wasn't considering leaving Leinster when his contract ends in May because he was really enjoying every aspect of the role, notably that Leo, effectively as Director of Rugby who also did some Coaching, undertook most of the aspects that Lancaster did not enjoy.

You can hear the interview on:

BBC Fivelive Podcast 23/12/2018 starting at 25.20 mins
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby fourthirtythree » December 24th, 2018, 11:45 am

Hi Stu? Can you give the prospective employers a shopping list of what you want in the job offer?

It only makes it harder to hod onto him.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9079
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby blockhead » January 18th, 2019, 5:39 pm

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5041
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby XyzFoo » January 18th, 2019, 6:04 pm

The year is 2100. Stewart Lancaster, having discovered the secrets of immortality and shared them with a grateful world, has become the greatest hero in history. He addresses a crowd of cheering people, taking questions one by one.

"Stewart, can you tell us how you felt, crashing out of your home world cup in 2015?"

"Do you think you have put that behind you yet?"
User avatar
XyzFoo
Beginner
 
Posts: 12
Joined: August 20th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Location: London

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby XyzFoo » January 18th, 2019, 6:09 pm

(It is a nice article, btw, he always comes across really well. But he must have the patience of a saint to keep hearing about healing those wounds etc.)
User avatar
XyzFoo
Beginner
 
Posts: 12
Joined: August 20th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Location: London

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby Oldschool » January 18th, 2019, 6:27 pm


It is but I think he shouldn't have been asked about his dad.
That's very personal and still very raw in my experience.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby artaneboy » January 19th, 2019, 12:46 am

Oldschool wrote:

It is but I think he shouldn't have been asked about his dad.
That's very personal and still very raw in my experience.


Yeah, I’d generally agree. But it’s not clear whether he raised it- or was happy to talk. In my own experience, that’s a phenomenon of the grieving cycle.

But I’m more irked by the constant viewing of “Lancaster at Leinster” through the optic of his departure from the England job. Jeez- give it rest...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3287
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Location: closer than you think...

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby IanD » January 19th, 2019, 12:47 pm

artaneboy wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

It is but I think he shouldn't have been asked about his dad.
That's very personal and still very raw in my experience.


Yeah, I’d generally agree. But it’s not clear whether he raised it- or was happy to talk. In my own experience, that’s a phenomenon of the grieving cycle.

But I’m more irked by the constant viewing of “Lancaster at Leinster” through the optic of his departure from the England job. Jeez- give it rest...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Article is from the Guardian - says so at the bottom. Makes sense a British paper would take that angle.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
User avatar
IanD
Official Mascot
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: May 2nd, 2006, 1:51 pm
Location: Wicklow Town

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby ribs » January 21st, 2019, 2:04 pm

His profile is rising in the media again. The match yesterday showed him numerous times, including halftime. That will put his name into the minds of recruiters unfortunately
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
User avatar
ribs
Mullet
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 7:24 pm
Location: In da Dam

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby jimbobjoe » January 21st, 2019, 2:11 pm

ribs wrote:His profile is rising in the media again. The match yesterday showed him numerous times, including halftime. That will put his name into the minds of recruiters unfortunately


The negative side of success. Still, it's better to have him and for him to be in demand than anything else.
I'll die before I surrender, Tim.
User avatar
jimbobjoe
Mullet
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby mildlyinterested » February 12th, 2019, 10:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8Y7_al9pY

so lucky to have him coaching this team.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Postby ronk » February 13th, 2019, 6:50 am

England's form hopefully means a few less worries for hanging on to him
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9497
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Previous

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot], SemrushBot [Bot] and 4 guests