Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Post by Dirk Stickler »

I’m very happy about this. We needed someone badly and not just as a defence coach.

I really hope it works out with Leo & Girv. Their willingness to trust youth has been fantastic but under them we’ve really not looked impressive, aside from a couple of games.

Every coaching appointment has an element of risk but Lancaster seems like a decent guy and is a respected coach.

I do accept there’s a chance this could unsettle Leo but I don’t think that’s enough of a reason not to give Lancaster a go.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:An interesting detail is that his contract is only until the end of the season
I'd say he just wants to tide himself over/rebuild his reputation until a head coach role becomes available but Leo's is up then too so it couldn't have been for longer.
Its the known unknown of who wanted that duration but Im glad of it
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

simonokeeffe wrote:An interesting detail is that his contract is only until the end of the season

That thought also crossed my mind..... could the IRFU by giving him a contract that expires at the same time as St Joe's, be lining up a replacement if St Joe doesn't stay on??
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

BlueWheels wrote:

That thought also crossed my mind..... could the IRFU by giving him a contract that expires at the same time as St Joe's, be lining up a replacement if St Joe doesn't stay on??
yes but not Lancaster, Ireland could do better (than reuniting England's world cup coaching tickets)
Bluebulls
Beginner

Post by Bluebulls »

Will Lancaster report to Cullen? seems strange, I assumed that he would step into the director of rugby role and help Leo learn his trade similar to the Munster setup.
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

I’d say it’s more the case that Leo and Girve are both out of contract at the end of the year. If it goes terribly then there’s no compensation for a clearout. There’s probably an option for an extension.

I really can’t see the IRFU lining up Lancaster, especially given that Farrell is already under contract and there really seemed to be an influence issue there at 10 during the WC.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Bluebulls wrote:Will Lancaster report to Cullen? seems strange, I assumed that he would step into the director of rugby role and help Leo learn his trade similar to the Munster setup.
No they dont want to geld Leo, Leo still in charge (and of forwards) so hes de facto DOR
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

From the IT

'Leinster Rugby CEO Mick Dawson confirmed that former England head coach Lancaster would join the Leinster Rugby coaching team as a ‘Senior Coach’ with immediate effect until the end of the season.
Commenting on the appointment Dawson said, “We are always looking at options around resources but once we were made aware of Kurt McQuilkin’s departure, we narrowed our focus and we are delighted that Stuart has agreed to come on board.'

That reads to me like they had been scoping SL already about a role within the setup with a view on Leo's contract ending next year.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

We needed an additional coach with genuine coaching experience - we have good coaches, but predominantly of a group who were Leinster Players in the past 6 years - SL can bring the benefit of his experience, etc, to the coaching table. We just have to integrate SL into the setup. The Team have to play as a team and they understand that - same applies for all the Coaching Team; good bit of business by Leinster Rugby.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

So apparently it was Leo who approached Lancaster about the position. The way they talked about it in the presser is quite encouraging. It seems Leo is working hard at identifying where the issues in the coaching set up are and he's trying to address them.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 22487.html
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

molloyjh wrote:So apparently it was Leo who approached Lancaster about the position. The way they talked about it in the presser is quite encouraging. It seems Leo is working hard at identifying where the issues in the coaching set up are and he's trying to address them.

"But the position of the former England coach within the province’s structure remains somewhat clouded after he spoke about taking over from defence coach Kurt McQuilkin, while also having input on the attacking side of the game and a role with the academy.
Leo Cullen remains the head coach and will continue to pick the team and conduct media duties, but the presence of the experienced 46-year-old will certainly test the balance of a young, indigenous coaching team."

So Leo IS DoR & forwards and Lancaster is head coach
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Excellent appointment bringing in a man of wide management experience, upwards and downwards. SL can talk with Lucifora and JS, eyeball to eyeball, when they come calling with their next selection request / requirement. These are a huge element in Leo's day to day and week to week assignments and challenges. Having somebody with the experience of SL in these circumstances will be a bonus.

Having watched Leo at work as a Coach, I have no concerns who'll be in charge. Leo, Girv and Kurt did not work in a hierarchy, much more as a team and that is Lancaster's modus operandi also. Leo is a natural boss and every group he is part of, has already treated him a boss, without confrontation.

The unique management experience he brings is the ability to prioritise challenges. What team unit needs most to be corrected? What's the balence between the need for a tight-head lock to strengthen our scrum and another ball-carrier to make the midfield gain line? How much game time do you give a young gun out-half in comparison with his challenger who also kicks points?

Much more than skills or Unit coaching, these are the day to day challenges that Head Coaches wrestle with and where a voice with experience is invaluable - e.g. Gaffney with Cheika.

Yes, it would have been better to have had SL available during pre-season. But he wasn't, and Kurt's situation hadn't arisen. However, be certain that it won't be lack of commitment that will inhibit Lancester making up for lost time. This guy will know Leinster players, senior down to Academy by the back end of next week.

Go well Mr Lancaster, your values and culture are welcome. We wish you a successful stay.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Dave Cahill wrote:They can't have been that easy to play against, we only ever beat them once under him.
Agreed, I don't recall them ever being easy to play against under Lancaster. Under Lancaster, I believe they lost one game per season for 4 seasons, won 1 championship and finished joint top with us once only to be separated by points difference in our favour. Sure, he didn't win a Grand Slam, but wining a grand slam is elusive. His winning percentage was about 78%.

I'm very happy with this appointment.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

BlueBlue wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:They can't have been that easy to play against, we only ever beat them once under him.
Agreed, I don't recall them ever being easy to play against under Lancaster. Under Lancaster, I believe they lost one game per season for 4 seasons, won 1 championship and finished joint top with us once only to be separated by points difference in our favour. Sure, he didn't win a Grand Slam, but wining a grand slam is elusive. His winning percentage was about 78%.

I'm very happy with this appointment.
They'd have won the Slam three seasons ago, if Lancaster hadn't taken Danny Care off when they were leading in the second half against the French in Paris. That for me would be the single worst decision during his time as England head coach. One can assume he'll have learned from it.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

simonokeeffe wrote:
molloyjh wrote:So apparently it was Leo who approached Lancaster about the position. The way they talked about it in the presser is quite encouraging. It seems Leo is working hard at identifying where the issues in the coaching set up are and he's trying to address them.

"But the position of the former England coach within the province’s structure remains somewhat clouded after he spoke about taking over from defence coach Kurt McQuilkin, while also having input on the attacking side of the game and a role with the academy.
Leo Cullen remains the head coach and will continue to pick the team and conduct media duties, but the presence of the experienced 46-year-old will certainly test the balance of a young, indigenous coaching team."

So what is Girv doing?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Flash Gordon wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

So what is Girv doing?
Didn't sound clouded to me. He wants to coach. Happy to fit in under Leo anywhere that suits. Leo thrilled to have him.

Defense and skills being his main areas. He also mentioned "Elite player development"

Strikes me that himself and Girve could get on great. Both humble types happy to row in for the good of the team.

There is plenty of work to go around for the 2 of them.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Delighted with that appointment. Seems a very fair coach, I'd suggest this could be the start or finish for Noel Reid in the center, hopefully the former.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

So what is Girv doing?
Didn't sound clouded to me. He wants to coach. Happy to fit in under Leo anywhere that suits. Leo thrilled to have him.

Defense and skills being his main areas. He also mentioned "Elite player development"

Strikes me that himself and Girve could get on great. Both humble types happy to row in for the good of the team.

There is plenty of work to go around for the 2 of them.
Well Farrell coached England on defence. Our skills deficit is most acute outside 10 - less said the better about his dealings with the England centres.......If you were looking for a world class coach to coach defence would you go to a guy who has never been a defence coach?

The way rugby is going (like every other elite sport), head coaches have teams of technical coaches - he doesn't seem to fit that tag. He seems to be more of a head coach/coordinator. In his favour, he does have a lot of academy/A team type experience. Hopefully he can help there.

In my experience when coaching roles are vague, tensions develop.

I just don't really understand his role or what he specifically brings aside from experience and that has unfortunately not been very successful!

I've also got to say that since Joe left, coaching appointments haven't been covered in glory and it sometimes feels like we take what's available vs what's needed. Despite some cracking appointments historically, Mick Dawson doesn't always appear to be leading this proactively and well. If the guy was the right choice and was needed he should have come in before pre-season.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:Delighted with that appointment. Seems a very fair coach, I'd suggest this could be the start or finish for Noel Reid in the center, hopefully the former.
Noel Reid to play in the backrow?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Well Farrell coached England on defence. Our skills deficit is most acute outside 10 - less said the better about his dealings with the England centres.......If you were looking for a world class coach to coach defence would you go to a guy who has never been a defence coach?

The way rugby is going (like every other elite sport), head coaches have teams of technical coaches - he doesn't seem to fit that tag. He seems to be more of a head coach/coordinator. In his favour, he does have a lot of academy/A team type experience. Hopefully he can help there.

In my experience when coaching roles are vague, tensions develop.

I just don't really understand his role or what he specifically brings aside from experience and that has unfortunately not been very successful!

I've also got to say that since Joe left, coaching appointments haven't been covered in glory and it sometimes feels like we take what's available vs what's needed. Despite some cracking appointments historically, Mick Dawson doesn't always appear to be leading this proactively and well. If the guy was the right choice and was needed he should have come in before pre-season.
Ah Jaysus. Kurt was still here up to a week ago. Available when needed. That's our Stewart.

On the thing with the centres for England The big lad was forced on him by the RFU and mismanaged where he was looked on as a back row at bath and a centre for England.

I'd be fairly positive on him. Doesn't mean it will work out but let's give the lad a few months before we start collecting villagers, torches and pitchforks.