Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

alanair
Mullet

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Post by alanair »

actually (untypically) very good interview on OTB... no sign of itchy feet yet....
sounds like a really good bloke...
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Yep he sounds pretty happy here, for the moment, by the sounds of it and I be suprised if he didn't see out his contract. Good story too about Leo's Ma & Da taking his Ma & Da out on the town in Dublin's fair city.
For 7 years he had a 4 hour daily commute to London, now it's 2 hours to the RDS. So that part of it is not such a big deal.
However, it's a professional sport. Every job vacancy that arises in the UK will have his name linked to it. The more his stock rises here the more he will be linked to these bigger and bigger roles. Eventually he will be linked to International roles too. Maybe the IRFU have a succession plan in place for post WC2019 after Joe goes home. It would be a good idea too since the majority of the team he would inherit will be Leinster players ( or ex-Leinster plying their trade in the other provinces).
#BLUSTU :lol:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:Yep he sounds pretty happy here, for the moment, by the sounds of it and I be suprised if he didn't see out his contract. Good story too about Leo's Ma & Da taking his Ma & Da out on the town in Dublin's fair city.
For 7 years he had a 4 hour daily commute to London, now it's 2 hours to the RDS. So that part of it is not such a big deal.
However, it's a professional sport. Every job vacancy that arises in the UK will have his name linked to it. The more his stock rises here the more he will be linked to these bigger and bigger roles. Eventually he will be linked to International roles too. Maybe the IRFU have a succession plan in place for post WC2019 after Joe goes home. It would be a good idea too since the majority of the team he would inherit will be Leinster players ( or ex-Leinster plying their trade in the other provinces).
#BLUSTU :lol:
BLUSTU does have a nice ring to.
Some of our provincial brethren won't like the sound of that!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Coaching Harry Mallinder might be a bit awkward too for anyone
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Why do folks think Lancaster is being lined up for the Ireland job and not Leo?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

outcast eddie wrote:Why do folks think Lancaster is being lined up for the Ireland job and not Leo?
More experienced.. most people would credit Lancaster for Leinsters current form/style not leo.

Myself I dont think leo is near ready to replace Schmidt if needed..
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

mildlyinterested wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:Why do folks think Lancaster is being lined up for the Ireland job and not Leo?
More experienced.. most people would credit Lancaster for Leinsters current form/style not leo.

Myself I dont think leo is near ready to replace Schmidt if needed..
What he said.
If memory is fading and there’s a need for elaboration...? Leo is our current head coach because Matt O’Connor was summarily dismissed- with no succession plan in place. It wasn’t the immediate concept.

Ideally he’d have been groomed and supported in assistant coach roles, here and elsewhere, of increasing responsibility before getting such a high-pressure, high profile role. He’s about five years ahead of his expected coaching trajectory.

He’d done well in Leinster, supported by Lancaster, in the last two seasons. But he’s not nearly ready for Ireland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

My point is... we have a two headed coaching ticket but everyone appears absolutely clear that Lanny is the one supplying the on-field magic without considering Leo’s input. What are the facts to support this view?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

outcast eddie wrote:My point is... we have a two headed coaching ticket but everyone appears absolutely clear that Lanny is the one supplying the on-field magic without considering Leo’s input. What are the facts to support this view?
Improvement in team since Lancaster came aboard?

Lancaster being name checked by players as making a huge difference once coming aboard.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

outcast eddie wrote:My point is... we have a two headed coaching ticket but everyone appears absolutely clear that Lanny is the one supplying the on-field magic without considering Leo’s input. What are the facts to support this view?
Well- maybe it’s unfair as you pitch it there; but it’s undeniable that results and performances improved when Lancaster came in.

While I’m sure Leo (and Girve and Fogs) have improved, but it’s probably also true that Stuart’s discreet mentoring had helped them do that too.

In any case the reality is that Leo is not a realistic contender for Joe’s job- but Stuart certainly is.

arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

artaneboy wrote:
Well- maybe it’s unfair as you pitch it there; but it’s undeniable that results and performances improved when Lancaster came in.

While I’m sure Leo (and Girve and Fogs) have improved, but it’s probably also true that Stuart’s discreet mentoring had helped them do that too.

In any case the reality is that Leo is not a realistic contender for Joe’s job- but Stuart certainly is.

I'm not sure where that logic stems from. You have zero knowledge on how effective or not so Leo is. Nor have you any knowledge on the IRFUs succession plan post 2019.

For all we know Leo could well be the front runner
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

I'm not sure where that logic stems from. You have zero knowledge on how effective or not so Leo is. Nor have you any knowledge on the IRFUs succession plan post 2019.

Do you think that's even a remote possibility?
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Do you think that's even a remote possibility?
Thankfully I don't have to care. This decision 1) isn't applicable to the short term and 2) isn't something any of us are privy to
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Leo got us to a Pro12 final without Lancaster...short memories.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Leo got us to a Pro12 final without Lancaster...short memories.
And it was him who started giving youth a chance too, granted some of it was necessity.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Leo got us to a Pro12 final without Lancaster...short memories.
don't see anyone claiming Leo hasn't done a good job.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

mildlyinterested wrote:
don't see anyone claiming Leo hasn't done a good job.
Exactly. Some classic pearl clutching here. :roll:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm just pointing out that he did a good job and that there's no reason to think that he hasn't continued to play a big part in our improvement.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Leo was an important part of the chyte O’Connor team and never wavered in his support for the boss. He has maintained his very poor coaching since. He is completely out of his depth. For years now he has had the opportunity to manage and coach a squad chocful of great players. His squad has no equal in the northern hemisphere and he has been unable to manage it successfully. A good manager would have made hay with that squad.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Raydollard wrote:Leo was an important part of the chyte O’Connor team and never wavered in his support for the boss. He has maintained his very poor coaching since. He is completely out of his depth. For years now he has had the opportunity to manage and coach a squad chocful of great players. His squad has no equal in the northern hemisphere and he has been unable to manage it successfully. A good manager would have made hay with that squad.
A good manager would have that squad playing good rugby, which they are.
Big Bird and Bomber have pulled together and that is to both men's credit. The egos have been left outside the fence.
Leave the farmers and pugilists to the haymaking.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.