Edinburgh vs Leinster Sept 16th

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Edinburgh vs Leinster Sept 16th

Post by Cianostays »

1. Dooley, 2. Cronin, 3. Furlong, 4. Kearney, 5. Mike Mac, 6. Leavy, 7. VDF, 8. Murphy, 9. Gibson-Park, 10. Carbery, 11. Dave K, 12. Reid, 13. Ringrose, 14. Zane, 15. Rob K, 16. Tracey, 17. Healy, 18. Ross, 19. Moloney, 20. Ryan, 21. McGrath, 22. Marsh, 23. O'Loughlin

Very happy with how the team went, by and large, against on of the best team's in the league (away from home to boot). A similar level of performance will be required to win in Edinburgh which is possible with another week for Lancaster's influence to seep in. Looking forward to it. I presume that we would'nt have the front line Internationals back until the Ospreys game?
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Edinburgh vs Leinster Sept 16th

Post by goreyguy »

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Ross
4. Molony
5. McCarthy
6. Leavy
7. JVDF
8. Murphy
9. McGrath
10. Carbery
11. Dave K
12. Reid
13. Ringrose
14. O'Loughlin
15. Kearney
16. Tracy
17. Dooley
18. Furlong
19. Kearney
20. Ryan
21. JGP
22. Marsh
23. Kirchner
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Cianostays wrote:1. Dooley, 2. Cronin, 3. Furlong, 4. Kearney, 5. Mike Mac, 6. Leavy, 7. VDF, 8. Murphy, 9. Gibson-Park, 10. Carbery, 11. Dave K, 12. Reid, 13. Ringrose, 14. Zane, 15. Rob K, 16. Tracey, 17. Healy, 18. Ross, 19. Moloney, 20. Ryan, 21. McGrath, 22. Marsh, 23. O'Loughlin

Very happy with how the team went, by and large, against on of the best team's in the league (away from home to boot). A similar level of performance will be required to win in Edinburgh which is possible with another week for Lancaster's influence to seep in. Looking forward to it. I presume that we would'nt have the front line Internationals back until the Ospreys game?
I think we'll see Isa back this week as well as a couple of internationals. We want to try and maintain a bit of continuity though, especially given yesterdays performance. Maybe something like this:

Healy Cronin Furlong
Molony McCarthy
Leavy Murphy VDF

McGrath Carbery
Reid Ringrose
Dave Rob Isa

Tracy, Dooley, Ross, Triggs, Ryan, JGP, Byrne, O'Loughlin

I thought our back row yesterday were really good. With Carbery showing the form he is I'm not sure we can use Marsh's experience as a reason for him to be on the bench. And I'd like to see us utilise a 10 with a good kicking game to contrast with Carberys running game, hence Byrne at 22. Kirchner has been going well for us but I would also like to see us backing O'Loughlin. He's looked good over the last month or so and we need to develop outside backs right now. He didn't seem out of his depth against Glasgow (one restart aside) so get him out and playing.

The thought of Isa trailing carriers for offloads is one I find a bit exciting. A few times yesterday we had guys looking to for support runners in the contact and not finding any. I can't help but think that Isa would be all over that.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think Ross will start with Furlong coming on but at very least surely McGrath, Toner, Heaslip, and Cronin come on to the bench now giving us a serious forward corps for this one

Toa gree with you/single someone out Leavy was seriously good
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

simonokeeffe wrote:I think Ross will start with Furlong coming on but at very least surely McGrath, Toner, Heaslip, and Cronin come on to the bench now giving us a serious forward corps for this one

Toa gree with you/single someone out Leavy was seriously good
Yeah Leavy was excellent. But I think all 3 back row really performed. Some of Jordis lines off Carbery were superb.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

McCarthy and Kearney are wasted together. Molony must play with one of them, preferably Kearney who needs game time at the highest level possible as he will emerge to be a real tight-head lock and enforcer.

Back-row is brimming with options but Leavy and JVdF have established their claim to play together a la the Aussies. Murphy, Conan and Heaslip may be in a queue for one slot and then we must figure where to fit in SO'B.

In these circumstances, Mr Lancaster may provide suitably objective counsel.

As to the backline, where to find pace to capitalise on the emerging guile which is increasingly evident at 10, 12 & 13? Pace or power at 11, 14 or 15 will be essential for Europe and even in the Interpros and games against Glasgow and Ospreys.

Leinster can re-emerge this Season as serious european contenders. We have sufficient forwards of quality and decent half-backs. Now let's assemble a backline to use the ammunition they provide.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Back-row is brimming with options but Leavy and JVdF have established their claim to play together a la the Aussies. Murphy, Conan and Heaslip may be in a queue for one slot and then we must figure where to fit in SO'B.
Don't forget Rhys as well.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

42 saying Munster have Earls & Murray available this weekend so thats a good sign for us getting everyone (fit) back
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

simonokeeffe wrote:42 saying Munster have Earls & Murray available this weekend so thats a good sign for us getting everyone (fit) back
I'd still like to keep a bit of continuity as we need a result this week. Loads of changes will cause too much disruption.

Healy Cronin Furlong
Molony McCarthy
Leavy Murphy VDF

McGrath Carbery
Reid Ringrose
Dave Rob Isa

Tracy, McGrath, Ross, Toner, Heaslip, JGP, Byrne, O'Loughlin

That starting XV should be able to build on the first 2 rounds and put us in a good position and that bench should have more than enough impact to see it out. It also gives the guys on the bench time to ease into the new game plan ahead of the home game against the Ospreys.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:McCarthy and Kearney are wasted together. Molony must play with one of them, preferably Kearney who needs game time at the highest level possible as he will emerge to be a real tight-head lock and enforcer.

Back-row is brimming with options but Leavy and JVdF have established their claim to play together a la the Aussies. Murphy, Conan and Heaslip may be in a queue for one slot and then we must figure where to fit in SO'B.

In these circumstances, Mr Lancaster may provide suitably objective counsel.

As to the backline, where to find pace to capitalise on the emerging guile which is increasingly evident at 10, 12 & 13? Pace or power at 11, 14 or 15 will be essential for Europe and even in the Interpros and games against Glasgow and Ospreys.

Leinster can re-emerge this Season as serious european contenders. We have sufficient forwards of quality and decent half-backs. Now let's assemble a backline to use the ammunition they provide.
On that last point, apart from being the stand-out player in the warm-ups Rory O'Loughlin has impressed me off the bench v Treviso and Glasgow.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I'd start Mick Kearney unless that knock at the end of the Glasgow game was serious, internationals will most likely come back off the bench
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I was very disappointed with Tracy on Saturday. Missed tackles and missed darts that were down to him alone.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

RK out of this game, Isa should be back, no other injuries/updates
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's a decent trade off but it's a pity about Rob. He's looked sharp and badly needs a run of games.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

molloyjh wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Back-row is brimming with options but Leavy and JVdF have established their claim to play together a la the Aussies. Murphy, Conan and Heaslip may be in a queue for one slot and then we must figure where to fit in SO'B.
Don't forget Rhys as well.
Touche! And I did. What extraordinary depth that is at a time when others could use at least two of them in Pro12 games all the way through.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

RK is a bit of a sick note these days.
Aussiedub
Mullet

Post by Aussiedub »

Healy, Tracey, Ross, Maloney, Kearney, Leavy, JvDF, Murphy, JGP, Carberry, Kearney, Reid, Ringrose, Kirchner, Nacewa - Dooley, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Heaslip, McGrath, Byrne, O'Loughlin
After showing Munster how to win a HC final in the first attempt we will now demonstrate how to retain the HC in the following season :-)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

No injury issues for Mick Kearney or Dave either. Isa trained fully last week and will be assessed as week goes on.

Unavailable: Conan, Nagle, Ruddock, O'Brien, Henshaw, Ed Byrne, Sexton, Dardis, Strauss and Rob Kearney
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

After that I guess it's down to which of McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Ross, Toner, Murphy and Heaslip are available this week.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Aussiedub wrote:Healy, Tracey, Ross, Maloney, Kearney, Leavy, JvDF, Murphy, JGP, Carberry, Kearney, Reid, Ringrose, Kirchner, Nacewa - Dooley, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Heaslip, McGrath, Byrne, O'Loughlin
Nice selection. Would be good enough to get a win, IMO.