Edinburgh vs Leinster Sept 16th

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Edinburgh vs Leinster Sept 16th

Post by ronk »

Reid had a few poor moments in defence but overall I thought he put in a good shift.

Lots of good defending mixed with missed tackles caused by eagerness. Should iron out a little over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Blue not red blood wrote:Worst decision of the night was penalising Dev for not rolling away when two men lying on top of him!
Made hard work but 5 points
Poor second half but a lot to be happy about especially the clinical first half
The decision to award a deliberate knock on was the worst decision I've seen, probably ever. My eyes are still bulging.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Good Few positives to take from that outing (and a couple of negatives)
Leavys line and pace for 1st and his power for last try
Cronins feet and pass for Isa try
Jameson GP pass and all round temp impressive
Scrum and line-out solid until replacements made

Negatives
Start of both halves was shambolic, need to cut that out
First up tackling
Set piece went to pot
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Looked to me like Leavy dropped the ball for the final try and he seemed almost to forget to touch down in the first half. He had a terrific game overall though.

The first up tackle misses are a serious concern; last night we looked pretty good with the ball and very ordinary without it.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Hippo wrote:Looked to me like Leavy dropped the ball for the final try and he seemed almost to forget to touch down in the first half. He had a terrific game overall though.

The first up tackle misses are a serious concern; last night we looked pretty good with the ball and very ordinary without it.
I missed the first 20 mins, our defence in the second 20 was pretty fuvkin good, at one point we drove them back from almost our 22 to their own 10 m line. Second half was a bit of a shambles though
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

domhnallj wrote:
Blue not red blood wrote:Worst decision of the night was penalising Dev for not rolling away when two men lying on top of him!
The decision to award a deliberate knock on was the worst decision I've seen, probably ever. My eyes are still bulging.
Just hoping there's some kind of review, how can we expect our league to grow in popularity with Johnny clown shoes standing in the middle making up rules as he goes.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Have no idea what to make of that game. JGP looks smooth and impressed me.
Everyone else a mixed bag. A mixed bag of big fuppin baxtardin revels. Mmm, there's a nice minstrel. Yuk there's a coffee. Mmm, minstrel. Yuk, coffee. Ad nauseum.
Revels not Minstrels , let's not get sloppy about our confectionery nomenclature folks. :)

I watched the game on Alba and the commentators were raving about Leinster's rock solid defence; they also gave MoTM to an Edinburgh player, was it Leavy in the real world?
I thought it was a gritty and determined display from the boys in dayglo, although with some errors. There's a clear change in mindset from last season.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
Just hoping there's some kind of review, how can we expect our league to grow in popularity with Johnny clown shoes standing in the middle making up rules as he goes.
I couldn't believe that the ref and his officials reviewed the incident on the screen and completely missed what happened - it was clear even in real time
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Did I hear the ref at one stage threatening a red card for the next penalty? I think it was at about the 60 minute mark so would have been after Leavy's yellow.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Thought the ref had one or two poor moments, but overall wasnt tht bad, Leinster were unlucky with one or two decisions. Although Watson got MOTM I believe it should have gone to Leavy or Heaslip who both had good games. As a collective I thought the pack were decent, but the backs apart from ringrose were poor, looked very nervous in their patterns, never really gelled properly in attack. Defense and scrum looked mostly good. Positive signs but plenty to work on...
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Experimental wrote:Thought the ref had one or two poor moments, but overall wasnt tht bad, Leinster were unlucky with one or two decisions. Although Watson got MOTM I believe it should have gone to Leavy or Heaslip who both had good games. As a collective I thought the pack were decent, but the backs apart from ringrose were poor, looked very nervous in their patterns, never really gelled properly in attack. Defense and scrum looked mostly good. Positive signs but plenty to work on...
Well, here's the thing, when a ref makes a howler as bad as the "deliberate knock on" or awarding Edinburgh a scrum when Leavy Is clearly on the ball a stone cold penalty for Leinster how can the players trust him for the rest of the match, we've seen this kind of Reffing leading to complete anarchy on on pitches before and I think it speaks volumes for Leinsters discipline that they kept playing regardless, but I feel it had to have an impact on the second half performance.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

[quote][quote="Oldschoolsocks"][quote="Experimental"]Thought the ref had one or two poor moments, but overall wasnt tht bad, Leinster were unlucky with one or two decisions. Although Watson got MOTM I believe it should have gone to Leavy or Heaslip who both had good games. As a collective I thought the pack were decent, but the backs apart from ringrose were poor, looked very nervous in their patterns, never really gelled properly in attack. Defense and scrum looked mostly good. Positive signs but plenty to work on...[/quote][/quote]
Well, here's the thing, when a ref makes a howler as bad as the "deliberate knock on" or awarding Edinburgh a scrum when Leavy Is clearly on the ball a stone cold penalty for Leinster how can the players trust him for the rest of the match, we've seen this kind of Reffing leading to complete anarchy on on pitches before and I think it speaks volumes for Leinsters discipline that they kept playing regardless, but I feel it had to have an impact on the second half performance.[/quote]

The ref should have been better advised by the TMO on this decision imo. TMO should have said to the ref ~ 'theres a posibility of a charge down, would you like another look?' or something.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Yup, assistant ref, ref and TMO all at fault here.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Very impressive half-hour before the half-time whistle – four tries and a bonus point wrapped up nice and early in the evening. Edinburgh were poor in that period, but we went out and capitalised on it well.

The second half was frustrating to watch, as we seemed to lose some intensity in terms of our pace off the line, accuracy in tackling technique and general determination not to cede the gainline. I would exempt a couple of players from that criticism [Healy, Heaslip and Leavy all maintained a high standard], but in general it looked as though there wasn't a real teak-tough attitude to finishing the job. Having watched Saracens beat Exeter in Sandy Park last weekend, and been immensely impressed by their relentless defence and accuracy in taking chances, I think that we're quite a long distance off that standard at the moment.

Have to put a bad word in for the referee, seeing that we won well and it won't come off as sour grapes. He was brutal in the second half, after a reasonable first half showing. Dan Leavy's yellow card was an incident that didn't even merit a penalty, and penalising Garry Ringrose for blocking down a kick was comedic.

I thought the negatives for us were:
a] Bryan Byrne's throwing – it's so very poor for somebody who has been a hooker for as long as he has. It really seems like a case of the yips, because he's throwing some of them so crookedly he's almost missing the lineout. I don't think it's a purely technical flaw, because he has the rep of a diligent trainer and his technique in generally every other area is spot on - he's a great tackler, good over the ball, good hands, good lines of running etc. I'm sure if his tendency to throw it in squint could have been ironed out solely by working on it, it'd be a done deal by now. If it is the yips, as far as I can see there's no real remedy to this other than to build a new throwing technique.
b] Jordi Murphy – NOT A F*CKING BLINDSIDE! He doesn't play the position well and never has.
c] Cathal Marsh - I'd rather see Ross Byrne get the 3 mins and 8 mins at the end of matches, because I just don't rate Marsh as a long-term Leinster player. I've seen him for a number of seasons at U20, 'A', Pro12 and European level and am still wholly unconvinced of his ability to run a backline [nevermind marshal a team] at first-grade level. Ross Byrne hasn't convinced me yet either, but he hasn't done the emphatic job of unconvincing me that Marsh has.
d] No12 - can we please see somebody other than Noel Reid play a minute of rugby in the No12 jersey before the European campaign starts?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Yeah the ref was quite por, but we were just shocking in the second half. Some awful decisions (kicking the ball away in particular) and some awful execution of pretty basic stuff. In the first half we probably weren't as good as the scoreline suggested, but we're a way better team than the rabble that served up dross for most of the second 40. Very flat and almost liek they didn't want to be out there at times. No appetite to take the game on once we had 4 tries.

Set piece was a mess. Byrne made Cronin look like Eric Bristow. Furlong and Healy arsing around too much instead of just propping. Molony clearly doesn't have the push that Mike Mc had. Carbery just firing the ball indiscriminiately off his boot whenever we finally did get possession. Hollywood offloads and knockons when we needed to get a foothold. Oxymoron (who was very quick to the breakdown and sharp with his passing/decisions) had the chance of a chip over the top for a 3 on 1 and probable try and he booted it away. Ringrose (who cleaned up a lot fo other guys' messes) shooting up and giving runners a dogleg, Marsh looking like a 12-year-old in the tackle with and without the ball, Kirchner launching imposible garryowens..... we were a rabble and I'm disappointed in Isa and Heaslip for not pulling them in and knocking a few heads.

But it's a 5-pointer and that's all the stat sheet will say. We got no points for a talented loss last week so we'll take the 5 for a messy victory.

There is absolutely NOTHING in the history of rugby to support the deliberate knock-on decision. That was a panto decision.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

hugonaut wrote:Very impressive half-hour before the half-time whistle – four tries and a bonus point wrapped up nice and early in the evening. Edinburgh were poor in that period, but we went out and capitalised on it well.

The second half was frustrating to watch, as we seemed to lose some intensity in terms of our pace off the line, accuracy in tackling technique and general determination not to cede the gainline. I would exempt a couple of players from that criticism [Healy, Heaslip and Leavy all maintained a high standard], but in general it looked as though there wasn't a real teak-tough attitude to finishing the job. Having watched Saracens beat Exeter in Sandy Park last weekend, and been immensely impressed by their relentless defence and accuracy in taking chances, I think that we're quite a long distance off that standard at the moment.

Have to put a bad word in for the referee, seeing that we won well and it won't come off as sour grapes. He was brutal in the second half, after a reasonable first half showing. Dan Leavy's yellow card was an incident that didn't even merit a penalty, and penalising Garry Ringrose for blocking down a kick was comedic.

I thought the negatives for us were:
a] Bryan Byrne's throwing – it's so very poor for somebody who has been a hooker for as long as he has. It really seems like a case of the yips, because he's throwing some of them so crookedly he's almost missing the lineout. I don't think it's a purely technical flaw, because he has the rep of a diligent trainer and his technique in generally every other area is spot on - he's a great tackler, good over the ball, good hands, good lines of running etc. I'm sure if his tendency to throw it in squint could have been ironed out solely by working on it, it'd be a done deal by now. If it is the yips, as far as I can see there's no real remedy to this other than to build a new throwing technique.
b] Jordi Murphy – NOT A F*CKING BLINDSIDE! He doesn't play the position well and never has.
c] Cathal Marsh - I'd rather see Ross Byrne get the 3 mins and 8 mins at the end of matches, because I just don't rate Marsh as a long-term Leinster player. I've seen him for a number of seasons at U20, 'A', Pro12 and European level and am still wholly unconvinced of his ability to run a backline [nevermind marshal a team] at first-grade level. Ross Byrne hasn't convinced me yet either, but he hasn't done the emphatic job of unconvincing me that Marsh has.
d] No12 - can we please see somebody other than Noel Reid play a minute of rugby in the No12 jersey before the European campaign starts?
Spot on!!!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Yup, assistant ref, ref and TMO all at fault here.
The ref was a cunning stunt of the highest proportions, a lippy, make it up as he was going along twerp who I never refs one of our games again.

I see a lot of players were shooting up in defence, which is fine but they all seemed to be slipping off tackles rather than burying the oppo. Make the hit for the love of God. Our defense was a nice mix of blitz and drift used when appropriate, but we were exposed twice by kicking in behind the wing. We'll need to work on that as conceding one soft try there was bad, two is unforgivable
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Kirchner appeared to be running in slow motion for their first try.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

cormac wrote:Kirchner appeared to be running in slow motion for their first try.
Kirchner's defence in general has been v sloppy and I say that not being one of the people on here who love to bash him.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

jezzer wrote:Yeah the ref was quite por, but we were just shocking in the second half. Some awful decisions (kicking the ball away in particular) and some awful execution of pretty basic stuff. In the first half we probably weren't as good as the scoreline suggested, but we're a way better team than the rabble that served up dross for most of the second 40. Very flat and almost liek they didn't want to be out there at times. No appetite to take the game on once we had 4 tries.

Set piece was a mess. Byrne made Cronin look like Eric Bristow. Furlong and Healy arsing around too much instead of just propping. Molony clearly doesn't have the push that Mike Mc had. Carbery just firing the ball indiscriminiately off his boot whenever we finally did get possession. Hollywood offloads and knockons when we needed to get a foothold. Oxymoron (who was very quick to the breakdown and sharp with his passing/decisions) had the chance of a chip over the top for a 3 on 1 and probable try and he booted it away. Ringrose (who cleaned up a lot fo other guys' messes) shooting up and giving runners a dogleg, Marsh looking like a 12-year-old in the tackle with and without the ball, Kirchner launching imposible garryowens..... we were a rabble and I'm disappointed in Isa and Heaslip for not pulling them in and knocking a few heads.

But it's a 5-pointer and that's all the stat sheet will say. We got no points for a talented loss last week so we'll take the 5 for a messy victory.

There is absolutely NOTHING in the history of rugby to support the deliberate knock-on decision. That was a panto decision.
Glass half full man( or woman) clearly from that post....we had 4 tries scored in 2nd gear and actually played some good stuff....ringrose had some fantastic hits in D and carried well throughout
Funny how you can still manage to rip the piss out of Cronin even though he had 100% in the lineout and won a crucial scrum against the head under our posts
Granted marsh shouldn't be anywhere near a pro12 but 5 points in Edinburgh is a great return
Cheer up!!!!