Leinster vs Ospreys Friday September 23rd

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

molloyjh
Mullet

Re: Leinster vs Ospreys Friday September 23rd

Post by molloyjh »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:My one quibble is that I thought we should have kicked it out when time was up. Even though we were deep in their half I don't think it was worth the risk of the Ospreys getting a LBP.
Apparently, Ref said time wasn't up on official clock. Leinster put it out as soon as told them 80 was up.
But Ospreys had the ball at the end of the game and the ref blew it up after they threw a forward pass...........
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There's been a lot of media talk about the scrum being dominant the other night, but other than the pen try when they were down a man, was it really? Prior to that I was surprised by the fact we were being pushed backwards and had to take it out quickly, and after that I don't really remember us being too dominant?
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

wixfjord wrote:There's been a lot of media talk about the scrum being dominant the other night, but other than the pen try when they were down a man, was it really? Prior to that I was surprised by the fact we were being pushed backwards and had to take it out quickly, and after that I don't really remember us being too dominant?
Yeah our scrum has been a bit of a worry for me. It's been under pressure in every game. Looking at Munster at the weekend and it's the one area of the game that I'd be worried about against them. The scrum saved their bacon at the weekend and is a real weapon. I can see us getting mullered there big time.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

i've been pretty unconvinced by the scrum & Fogarty.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

goreyguy wrote:i've been pretty unconvinced by the scrum & Fogarty.
I'd be interested to see the comparison between our scrum when Moloney is and isn't on the pitch. Just from watching games "live" my feeling is our scrum is fine when we have our better scrummaging locks on and takes a dip when Moloney is pushing. It's just an impression of mine, which is why I'd love to have some way of confirming it without going back and watching every scrum again.

Certainly against O's we were doing fine until the subs came on and I'm a little sceptical that any of our front row changes made things worse.

Hopefully we can see Toner and Kearney in a few games together before the AIs and we'll get a better idea of what we're like with our "first choice" pairing.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

molloyjh wrote:
wixfjord wrote:There's been a lot of media talk about the scrum being dominant the other night, but other than the pen try when they were down a man, was it really? Prior to that I was surprised by the fact we were being pushed backwards and had to take it out quickly, and after that I don't really remember us being too dominant?
Yeah our scrum has been a bit of a worry for me. It's been under pressure in every game. Looking at Munster at the weekend and it's the one area of the game that I'd be worried about against them. The scrum saved their bacon at the weekend and is a real weapon. I can see us getting mullered there big time.
Yeah they hammered the warriors in the scrum but weren't they up against a third choice (?) tight head just converted into the position and with little/no experience? If Kermit is about perhaps he could clarrify.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

A list of Leinster coaches that Goreyguy is convinced by:

eh...............
Hammerhead
Learner

Post by Hammerhead »

Munster were playing Edinburgh (not warriors).Edinburgh were missing their starting front row but even taking that into account, their scrum is looking good.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

the spoofer wrote:
A list of Leinster coaches that Goreyguy is convinced by:

eh...............
Stuart Lancaster.

The rest have a lot to prove. But it's been encouraging this season so far.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

molloyjh wrote:
the scrum got better and better last season but looking at the personnell this season you had Bent, Porter on debut, small hookers, no Strauss

our best scrum pack contains McGrath, Strauss, Ross, McCarthy/MK, and a big lump like Ruddock

Toner switching to TH does depower it as alluded above but its getting better in general and we have better personnell to come on stream
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
the scrum got better and better last season but looking at the personnell this season you had Bent, Porter on debut, small hookers, no Strauss

our best scrum pack contains McGrath, Strauss, Ross, McCarthy/MK, and a big lump like Ruddock

Toner switching to TH does depower it as alluded above but its getting better in general and we have better personnell to come on stream
Tracy/Cronin certainly aren't small hookers.

Bryne is around the same size as Strauss.

Leinster need Furlong to continue to step up and replace Ross, Tracy to be more consistent and Mick Kearney to replace McCarthy & not have Molony pack down at TH lock.
Last edited by goreyguy on September 27th, 2016, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Toner packed down on the TH side against South Africa and our scrum was really good down there. At least that's how I remember it, may be wrong. Can certainly remember being surprised at how good the scrum was with Dev there in the recent past and think that was it.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Toner packed down on the TH side against South Africa and our scrum was really good down there. At least that's how I remember it, may be wrong. Can certainly remember being surprised at how good the scrum was with Dev there in the recent past and think that was it.
he did in 1st and 3rd tests but worth noting he had front row of McGrath Best Ross, plus SA sub loosehead prop Nyakane is not up to much

Toner scrummed at TH in 6n and we were frequently mullered
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

But France and Wales scrummaged completely illegally. My point is just that I don't think Dev is the weakness that he used to be.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

It is only mild semantics but why was Leavy wearing 22? Surely he should have been in the 21 shirt and JGP in the 22?

The only thing I can think of is they already have a number of shirts with 21 on them for JGP that would be too small for most people where as you could reassign a jersey that fits Leavy to someone else? But that also seems needlessly frugal
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:But France and Wales scrummaged completely illegally. My point is just that I don't think Dev is the weakness that he used to be.
More fool us for not cheating back but mainly having McCarthy at 4

I take your point, but the Molony for Kearney/McCarthy switch in isolation does weaken the scrum
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Any thoughts on whether Nagle has a chance to climb the lock pecking order. Reports are he could be fit this coming weekend
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

DomhnallOC wrote:Any thoughts on whether Nagle has a chance to climb the lock pecking order. Reports are he could be fit this coming weekend
Hes fighting to be here next year to fill gap left by Triggs & McCarthy leaving IMO, Toner will have Ireland duty, and MK is injury prone so he'll get gametime even with Ryan

A lot of serious quality in front of him right now
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

DomhnallOC wrote:Any thoughts on whether Nagle has a chance to climb the lock pecking order. Reports are he could be fit this coming weekend
very little chance
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

goreyguy wrote:
very little chance
Let him play UBL at the weekend and see how he gets on first.