42%
Maybe, it would depend on the fee
21%

Total votes: 33

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Would you pay to download Pro12 games

Post by Dave Cahill »

On one of the other threads Dirk Sticker and Riocard911 were pointing out that the Pro12 YouTube channel wasn't all that good. It led me to think, if the Pro12 offered a download service where, for either an seasonal subscription, say €20, or a per match basis, say €2, you could download and watch the previous weekends games once the weekend was over, would people be interested?

Personally i think that the Pro12 should produce its own hour-long highlights and magazine show and distribtute it online.

Obviously there are rights to work out between the league, broadcasters and clubs, but most games are already available via the various broadcasters streaming services - this is a way of bringing it all together, compensating for and removing those games in geo-locked territories, and doing so in a way that is legal, easy for the supporter, good value for the supporter, and pays for the process for the broadcaster.

Basically, iTunes for rugby
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Would you pay to download Pro12 games

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:On one of the other threads Dirk Sticker and Riocard911 were pointing out that the Pro12 YouTube channel wasn't all that good. It led me to think, if the Pro12 offered a download service where, for either an seasonal subscription, say €20, or a per match basis, say €2, you could download and watch the previous weekends games once the weekend was over, would people be interested?

Personally i think that the Pro12 should produce its own hour-long highlights and magazine show and distribtute it online.

Obviously there are rights to work out between the league, broadcasters and clubs, but most games are already available via the various broadcasters streaming services - this is a way of bringing it all together, compensating for and removing those games in geo-locked territories, and doing so in a way that is legal, easy for the supporter, good value for the supporter, and pays for the process for the broadcaster.

I could go for that. By the same token I only discovered yesterday, that you can watch the complete matches with a couple of days delay on YouTube for free, if you don't mind the footage being interrupted every 10 to 15 minutes for ads. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrJ8KsRx-nw

Couldn't make out is this an official Pro 12 initiative or not.
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

I'd be more likely to pay to watch a property edited highlights package than for a full game.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I'd be more likely to go for a UFC fight pass model where you can watch the games live
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

simonokeeffe wrote:I'd be more likely to go for a UFC fight pass model where you can watch the games live

This!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

No definitely not. There are very few games that I'd miss that I couldn't record and I'd imagine that's the same for a lot of people.

You mention that the Pro12 should produce its own highlights package and distribute it online. I don't disagree that that should happen but why can't there be one on TV too? I know the comp is spread across a lot of channels and two languages but a Monday evening highlights show would work for me. Basically a cross between MOTD and The Rugby Club (as it used to be on Sky a few years ago). As I was writing that I realised that that's basically what BT do and, aside from the annoyingly cringey banter, they do it very well.

There are definitely obstacles in the way but the World Rugby show is shown across a few channels and that could be a good model to go with.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Dave Cahill wrote:On one of the other threads Dirk Sticker and Riocard911 were pointing out that the Pro12 YouTube channel wasn't all that good. It led me to think, if the Pro12 offered a download service where, for either an seasonal subscription, say €20, or a per match basis, say €2, you could download and watch the previous weekends games once the weekend was over, would people be interested?

The highlights show would be a huge yes for me. I simply can't afford the time to watch every game, every weekend. But I could certainly find time for a few games plus the highlights show to cover what I missed.

If they can guarantee next day availability of games in HD then that would go a long way to making it an attractive option. If it takes 3 or 4 days and the quality is cr@p then it's a waste of time. With less legal options available it needs to be timely and high quality.

They then need to be sure that all games are covered by cameras. The Cardiff-Glasgow game is a perfect example. Who would not want to have watched that game, yet there was no way to do so.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
You mention that the Pro12 should produce its own highlights package and distribute it online. I don't disagree that that should happen but why can't there be one on TV too? I know the comp is spread across a lot of channels and two languages but a Monday evening highlights show would work for me. Basically a cross between MOTD and The Rugby Club (as it used to be on Sky a few years ago). As I was writing that I realised that that's basically what BT do and, aside from the annoyingly cringey banter, they do it very well.
This is precisely what I had in mind.

To answer your question, "why can't there be one on TV too", the only answer is 'because there isn't one on TV'. There would appear to be no inclination towards having one from the broadcast partners, which is why I suggest going online.
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

I wouldn't pay, but might turn off my ad blocker for such an initiative.
Anyone But New Zealand
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

In the us the rugby channel app already provides this. The only problem for me is it doesn't carry every game. It's $50 a year. Also gives some international games and super rugby. Only it doesn't cover the us pro league
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
This is precisely what I had in mind.

To answer your question, "why can't there be one on TV too", the only answer is 'because there isn't one on TV'. There would appear to be no inclination towards having one from the broadcast partners, which is why I suggest going online.
This is the thing I don’t understand. Is rugby viewership in Ireland really on it’s arse that badly that RTE or TV3 don’t see any point in paying for the rights for (at least the provinces) Pro12 games?

Even just do a proper highlights package (60/90mins) on a Sunday/ Monday evening. Gerry Thornley would be absolutely delighted to bang on about drift defences and coaching tickets on the box.

The Pro12 is struggling but while they’re talking about huge changes there doesn’t seem to be any focus on more practical ones.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Dirk Stickler wrote:This is the thing I don’t understand. Is rugby viewership in Ireland really on it’s arse that badly that RTE or TV3 don’t see any point in paying for the rights for (at least the provinces) Pro12 games?

Even just do a proper highlights package (60/90mins) on a Sunday/ Monday evening. Gerry Thornley would be absolutely delighted to bang on about drift defences and coaching tickets on the box.

The Pro12 is struggling but while they’re talking about huge changes there doesn’t seem to be any focus on more practical ones.
What exactly can the Pro12 do about RTEs lack of interest in delivering a highlights programme? Also, I don't think I'd want to watch an RTE highlights programme unless they bother getting decent presenters and pundits. The thought of watching Mr "Go Easy" and Thornley would not make me turn on the TV!
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

molloyjh wrote:
Dirk Stickler wrote:This is the thing I don’t understand. Is rugby viewership in Ireland really on it’s arse that badly that RTE or TV3 don’t see any point in paying for the rights for (at least the provinces) Pro12 games?

What exactly can the Pro12 do about RTEs lack of interest in delivering a highlights programme? Also, I don't think I'd want to watch an RTE highlights programme unless they bother getting decent presenters and pundits. The thought of watching Mr "Go Easy" and Thornley would not make me turn on the TV!

You don’t think the Pro12 should be trying to entice broadcasters into agreeing deals for viewing rights? I really do.

Also, you’ve stated that you wouldn’t watch such a programme on RTE anyway. If that is the feedback being received by Pro12 Rugby then surely they should be looking to improve their online content.

They could even produce their own highlights show and then flog that to the various national networks.

The point is that as a fan of the Pro12 (not just Leinster) it’s really feckin hard to follow the league. That shouldn’t be the case.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dirk Stickler wrote:
molloyjh wrote:

You don’t think the Pro12 should be trying to entice broadcasters into agreeing deals for viewing rights? I really do.

Also, you’ve stated that you wouldn’t watch such a programme on RTE anyway. If that is the feedback being received by Pro12 Rugby then surely they should be looking to improve their online content.

They could even produce their own highlights show and then flog that to the various national networks.

The point is that as a fan of the Pro12 (not just Leinster) it’s really feckin hard to follow the league. That shouldn’t be the case.
+1
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Dirk Stickler wrote:You don’t think the Pro12 should be trying to entice broadcasters into agreeing deals for viewing rights?
Have I ever said that? I'm pretty sure I never said that. What I did say was that if the broadcasters don't want to get involved there's not much the Pro12 can do about that. RTÉ weren't arsed sharing the rights for live games like last year. Why would they be bothered with a highlights show? And would TG4 show one in English? Would anyone watch one in Irish? There's loads of things I'd love to see happen, and a few things the Pro12 could certainly be doing better, but it's not all on them. We have an issue here with a lack of interest from broadcasters generally (and possibly the audience too). The Pro12 can't fix that. Look at Wales where they replay games on S4C or have Scrum V on BBC. Should we applaud the Pro12 for that or is it the broadcaster making an effort for a market that has an appetite for it?
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

molloyjh wrote:
Dirk Stickler wrote:You don’t think the Pro12 should be trying to entice broadcasters into agreeing deals for viewing rights?
Have I ever said that? I'm pretty sure I never said that. What I did say was that if the broadcasters don't want to get involved there's not much the Pro12 can do about that. RTÉ weren't arsed sharing the rights for live games like last year. Why would they be bothered with a highlights show? And would TG4 show one in English? Would anyone watch one in Irish? There's loads of things I'd love to see happen, and a few things the Pro12 could certainly be doing better, but it's not all on them. We have an issue here with a lack of interest from broadcasters generally (and possibly the audience too). The Pro12 can't fix that. Look at Wales where they replay games on S4C or have Scrum V on BBC. Should we applaud the Pro12 for that or is it the broadcaster making an effort for a market that has an appetite for it?
Did you only read the first line?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

One of the problems the Pro12 has, and its one that goes back years, is broadcasters not using rights they hold. When the international season rolls around, RTE will start up its bizarre Against the Head schedule, which starts at the end of the start of the season and ends at the start of the end of the season. On it they'll show international rugby, AIL and Pro12, because they have rights to highlights for the Pro12 alright, but they just don't use them.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: I know the comp is spread across a lot of channels and two languages
Which of Irish, Welsh, Scots Gaelic, Italian and English are the 2 languages you mean?
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Eir sport have already said they're interested in buying pro12 rights when the current contract is up. Maybe TV3 will throw their hat into the ring also seeing as they can afford big international tournaments.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

molloyjh wrote:
Re: "Would anyone watch one in Irish?" I certainly would. I love watching Rugbaí Beo and the opportunity it affords me to practice acoustially the bit of Gaeilge I have. On top of which, I think TG4 have pulled their weight and maybe even more in terms of supporting provincial rugby in this country since the dawn of professionalism. Sometimes I get the impression that they don't get the credit they deserve. I mean, take even the Rugbaí Beo intro music: doesn't it get the juices flowing? Doesn't it get one fired up for the upcoming clash? It does for me, ar aon nós!!!!