Cardiff v Leinster Sat 19.35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Cardiff v Leinster Sat 19.35 TG4

Post by wixfjord »

Team I'd go with for this:

McGrath, Tracy, Furlong, Moloney, McCarthy, Rhys, Leavy, Jordi, McGrath, Sexton, DK, Reid, Ringrose, Isa, ZK
Cronin, Healy, Ross, Dev, JVDF, GP, Carberry, MCF

Can't see SOB or Henshaw being back for this. Mike Mac and Rhys probably need some game time. Mike could do with some too, but Furlong should go better on astro. Backline stays the same for me, as, barring Henshaw coming back, it'll be the one that starts in the Aviva.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Cardiff v Leinster Sat 19.35 TG4

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cardiff aint the team for rotation for the sake of it no more and we badly need Cronin for lineout

Only changes Id make would be also McGrath and Ruddock starting
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I think there's a good argument to be had for a Leavy, VDF, Jordi back row considering how they performed in Glasgow on an identical surface. Have Ruddock on the bench to provide a real impact like Friday night and keep Jamie fresh for Munster and Europe.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cianostays wrote:I think there's a good argument to be had for a Leavy, VDF, Jordi back row considering how they performed in Glasgow on an identical surface. Have Ruddock on the bench to provide a real impact like Friday night and keep Jamie fresh for Munster and Europe.
Whatever about Ruddock on bench Heaslip has been on fire and the combination of neanderthal DNA and wolverine blood keeps him fresh plus we need his leadership in the pack
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Is it just my impression, or are squad lads getting more playing time in the UBL e.g. Mick Kearney last weekend, Barry Daly, Peter Dooley, Adam Byrne etc. this weekend?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

All now encouraged to play if not on Squad duty. Serious distortion to UBL as Lansdowne, UCD & Clontarf all breach the notional Leinster rule of "no more than one contracted player for each position".

Its not an IRFU ruling, its a Leinster protocol unlikely to be enforced by Leinster CEO.

Straight allocation without the blatant 'bullshit' of personal player choice is the only way to allow contracted professionals compete in UBL. Trinity playing w/o any contracted players against UCD with 12 starting was a travesty in UBL Div 1A.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

It says on the 42 that they hope to have McFadden in contention for this one. I'd say it might be good to play him off the bench at inside centre just to have a look at another option in that position
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

leinsterforever wrote:It says on the 42 that they hope to have McFadden in contention for this one. I'd say it might be good to play him off the bench at inside centre just to have a look at another option in that position
[Spits vomit out]
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jezzer wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:It says on the 42 that they hope to have McFadden in contention for this one. I'd say it might be good to play him off the bench at inside centre just to have a look at another option in that position
[Spits vomit out]
wouldnt go that far myself but he has played there so little last 4 or 5 years when he does pop up there he doesnt look good
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Assuming Henshaw is pencilled in to be our 12 for Europe then I think it's important to get Ferg some game time there because if Henshaw isn't available then the game plan is very different with Noel. I've been very happy with Noel but would still like us to look at other options and as much as his defence has improved, it's hard to shake the feeling that he'd be exposed in a big European game.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Rather see Tom Daly play 12 than McFadden at this stage. McFaddens last run out in the centre was not pretty, if I remember right.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Assuming Henshaw is pencilled in to be our 12 for Europe then I think it's important to get Ferg some game time there because if Henshaw isn't available then the game plan is very different with Noel. I've been very happy with Noel but would still like us to look at other options and as much as his defence has improved, it's hard to shake the feeling that he'd be exposed in a big European game.
why not give Daly a go then?

Ferg will defend well but his passing & distribution are poor and his head down charges arent much use in heavy traffic
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Because I don't rate Daly, think the pace at pro level will be too much for him.

I get why people don't want Ferg at centre, but I still think his physicality would be useful there.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Because I don't rate Daly, think the pace at pro level will be too much for him.

I get why people don't want Ferg at centre, but I still think his physicality would be useful there.
McFadden at 12 means an even more limited gameplan.

Daly probably won't be good enough, but lets at least see him get a run out at 12 and see how he goes.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Because I don't rate Daly, think the pace at pro level will be too much for him.

fair enough

I think Nacewa could do more than Ferg in that position or Ringrose and would leave better options in their wake
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Maybe, but I think Ferg has lost his wheels and could do with moving inside anyway.

I'm not saying I think he'll be an amazing 12, just that he could be a useful option if we need physicality and Henshaw isn't around. Plus he has a good chance of wearing the 23 jersey for Europe so getting time at 12 could useful for that too.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Maybe, but I think Ferg has lost his wheels and could do with moving inside anyway.

I'm not saying I think he'll be an amazing 12, just that he could be a useful option if we need physicality and Henshaw isn't around. Plus he has a good chance of wearing the 23 jersey for Europe so getting time at 12 could useful for that too.
LRIP, the guy has thrown 3 passes in the last 3 seasons in the Pro12. I remember one really good one last season or the one before because it was the exception to prove the rule. But he makes Shaggy look like Quade Cooper. He would be a total roadblock at 12. He'll drop his head and get you a few metres up the middle, plus make his share of tackle sand hit his share of rucks. But every phase is going to die in Ferg's hands.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Maybe, but I think Ferg has lost his wheels and could do with moving inside anyway.

23 HC is an interesting one, but think it also pushes argument to try Ringrose at 12 as Kirchner is probably ahead of Ferg on form and versatility

Our non Henshaw options at 12 are all catch 22s
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

goreyguy wrote:Rather see Tom Daly play 12 than McFadden at this stage. McFaddens last run out in the centre was not pretty, if I remember right.
Home to Wasps last season. Reid and McFadden in the centre, Madigan at full-back. Yeesh. :(

Hasn't started a game at 12 for Leinster since the 9-6 win over Exeter in October 2012.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

cormac wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Rather see Tom Daly play 12 than McFadden at this stage. McFaddens last run out in the centre was not pretty, if I remember right.
Home to Wasps last season. Reid and McFadden in the centre, Madigan at full-back. Yeesh. :(

Hasn't started a game at 12 for Leinster since the 9-6 win over Exeter in October 2012.
Inability to develop quality outside backs rearing its head once again..