A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Munster - Who's Boss and who's Toss

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
I liked Warwick but he was flakey, so would have thought he was exactly the type of player you didn't like Dave?
I'm not sure where this thing about him being flakey has come from, he was a really good 5/8, a pretty good full back and even gave scrum half a go when asked - and that was Warwick, the ultimate team guy. He was your classic Aussie 5/8 - good pace, great hands, big boot. He was to Munster and Connacht what Shaun Berne or Christian Warner was to us, a guy who could be counted on in a miserable night in Netherdale or Rodney Parade as well as knowing the right knife and fork to use at the top European table. If he hadn't played sevens for Aus I have no doubt that he would have picked up a decent number of Irish caps (ironically probably at the expense of Paddy Wallace who was a very similar kind of player)
Christian Warner maybe, but he was no Davey Holwell. But then again who is?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Flash Gordon wrote: Christian Warner maybe, but he was no Davey Holwell. But then again who is?
Nathan Spooner?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Laighin Break wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Christian Warner maybe, but he was no Davey Holwell. But then again who is?
Nathan Spooner?
Not even close.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
artaneboy wrote: Not true at all; a very good player in most positions beyond SH. We'd have welcomed him even in our days of backline riches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was a good pro, can't really see which NIQ back we would have sacrificed for him though
Berquist, Berne, Goodman,Tiquri
Can you count Berquist?
I preferred Berne.
Surely Tiquri was of a different era.
Remind me about Goodman.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Remind me about Goodman.
Was injured a fair bit but did a very good job at 12 when fit and called upon. I know he was very highly rated within the squad.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: Can you count Berquist?
I preferred Berne.
Remind me about Goodman.
If you can remember Goodman, you weren't really there maaaaan.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Goodman was actually pretty....good. Did a job away in Clermont once, no?
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

neiliog93 wrote:Goodman was actually pretty....good. Did a job away in Clermont once, no?
Yeah he was fairly decent. That Clermont game was one where we really should have beaten them, but we just weren't accurate or clinical enough at times. At one stage we were only 2 points behind them and in their 22. They were looking fairly shaky, like we had gotten under their skins a bit. A DG would have put us in front and piled the pressure on them, but we kept pushing for a try which led to that cross field that we missed narrowly. And then our line-out went to cr@p too. Goodman definitely stepped up that day.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

molloyjh wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Goodman was actually pretty....good. Did a job away in Clermont once, no?
Yeah he was fairly decent. That Clermont game was one where we really should have beaten them, but we just weren't accurate or clinical enough at times. At one stage we were only 2 points behind them and in their 22. They were looking fairly shaky, like we had gotten under their skins a bit. A DG would have put us in front and piled the pressure on them, but we kept pushing for a try which led to that cross field that we missed narrowly. And then our line-out went to cr@p too. Goodman definitely stepped up that day.
Their supporters got them over the line. Was a great atmosphere.
It was J10 to McFadden for that crossfield kick no? Looked like a mistake all day long.
Pretty scratch backline: Goodman, Madigan at 15... We done well
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
Their supporters got them over the line. Was a great atmosphere.
It was J10 to McFadden for that crossfield kick no? Looked like a mistake all day long.
Pretty scratch backline: Goodman, Madigan at 15... We done well
The cross field was a pretty close one. Happened right under us and there wasn't much in it. Had we gone ahead at that stage I felt we had it won. Which is why I had been calling for the DG a little bit before hand. We were their bogey team and even with the scratch side we were getting on top of them. We just needed to get our noses in front.

The atmosphere was electric though. Their fans are the best going I reckon. Got to feel or them never getting over that line the last few years.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

cormac wrote:
I preferred Berne.
Remind me about Goodman.
Oh yeah, Andrew Goodman, I'd take him over Warwick
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
cormac wrote:
I preferred Berne.
Remind me about Goodman.
Oh yeah, Andrew Goodman, I'd take him over Warwick
As an NIQ? Or as a date?

Not that there's anything wrong with that now.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

There's just somethinh about a strong beard
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:There's just somethinh about a strong beard
Tache no?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

curates_egg wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Remind me about Goodman.
Was injured a fair bit but did a very good job at 12 when fit and called upon. I know he was very highly rated within the squad.
Scored on his debut against scarlets I think.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

the spoofer wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:
Nathan Spooner?
Not even close.
I remember Davey getting a kick in the head and playing on before finishing the game and getting a ridiculous amount of stitches in the head. 2 hours after the game I wandered into Kielys and he was sitting there knocking back the Captain and cokes grinning away. The lad was hard as nails and a cracking player.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Flash Gordon wrote:
I remember Davey getting a kick in the head and playing on before finishing the game and getting a ridiculous amount of stitches in the head. 2 hours after the game I wandered into Kielys and he was sitting there knocking back the Captain and cokes grinning away. The lad was hard as nails and a cracking player.
If I was doing Boss vs Toss for Leinster (impossible to pick only 3), Holwell would be a candidate for my boss list.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

In light of today's sad events, I suggest that posters to this thread and the Webmasters should discontinue this sort of commentary. In my opinion,it's not worthy of our sport and in particular the rugby community we all belong to
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

backrower8 wrote:In light of today's sad events, I suggest that posters to this thread and the Webmasters should discontinue this sort of commentary. In my opinion,it's not worthy of our sport and in particular the rugby community we all belong to
Completely agree
Some terribly personal and insulting comments lower the tone and really should have been moderated.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

All Blacks nil wrote:
backrower8 wrote:In light of today's sad events, I suggest that posters to this thread and the Webmasters should discontinue this sort of commentary. In my opinion,it's not worthy of our sport and in particular the rugby community we all belong to
Completely agree
Some terribly personal and insulting comments lower the tone and really should have been moderated.
Boss is fine; Toss is tedious. We don't have to always play this 'zero-sum game'- do we? I mean is it not enough that we support and love Leinster, (or Munster), or do we really have to hate the 'others' and their players- as opposed to want to beat them.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"