Leinster vs Castres Sat Oct 15th @ 15:15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Leinster vs Castres Sat Oct 15th @ 15:15

Post by Cianostays »

Ah Europe :D

Our performances in recent weeks have given us a reason to be optimistic for the pool campaign this year imo. A win is the minimum requirement and is very much achievable but if there is a sniff of a bp then we have to be ruthless and go for it.

My team (1-15): McGrath, Cronin, Ross, Toner, Mick K, Ruddock, VDF, Heaslip, McGrath, Sexton, Dave K/Isa, Henshaw, Ringrose, Isa/O'Loughlin, Rob K
(16-23): Tracey, Healy, Furlong, Moloney, Leavy, JGP, Carberry, Reid
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster vs Castres Sat Oct 15th @ 15:15

Post by simonokeeffe »

Think that team is both accurate and desirable
Only one Id predict otherwise is Jordi at 20
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Good shout that. Between Ruddock, Murphy, VDF and Leavy some poor fupper is going to miss out.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Wouldn't have O'Loughlin starting on the wing: he did not look ready for a H-Cup game out of position on yesterday's evidence. He could become a very handy player for us and has pace, which has been a rarity for us, but not by throwing him into big games out of position. If none of Kirchner/Kearney/McFadden/Byrne is fit, then we have no choice though I guess.

Would also go for Gibson-Park but that is clearly a forum-dividing issue.

Regardless, we have a good squad in a good place and it looks like we have built nicely towards this part of the season.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That'd be the team I'd pick too. Ross/Furlong is probably the most debatable.
VDF has to come back in and Rhys put in a big shift yesterday.

I'd say Nagle might bench too, but we need one of Mick K or McCarthy for this, Castres are a big old French pack.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:Wouldn't have O'Loughlin starting on the wing: he did not look ready for a H-Cup game out of position on yesterday's evidence. He could become a very handy player for us and has pace, which has been a rarity for us, but not by throwing him into big games out of position. If none of Kirchner/Kearney/McFadden/Byrne is fit, then we have no choice though I guess.

Would also go for Gibson-Park but that is clearly a forum-dividing issue.

Regardless, we have a good squad in a good place and it looks like we have built nicely towards this part of the season.
Just to add to the division - GP does some things well, McGrath does some things well.
The difference at this stage is that McGrath has the edge mentally and probably physically.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:That'd be the team I'd pick too. Ross/Furlong is probably the most debatable.
VDF has to come back in and Rhys put in a big shift yesterday.

I'd say Nagle might bench too, but we need one of Mick K or McCarthy for this, Castres are a big old French pack.
Yeah you'd want a TH SR for the french games.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Leo rightly commented on Leinster's under par maul defence. Interestingly, we only tried one line-out maul in 80 minutes, and it was motoring until an error (by Devon?)
Our maul has been very strong in the past few years, wonder if we were keeping it under wraps. Could see a few against Castres, especially in their 22.

Against Munster, I was shouting in disbelief at JGP when he picked the ball up from the back of a dominant scrum on the Munster 5-meter line, when Jamie seemed to be trying to keep it in. Maybe the referee told him to use it? Otherwise, he needs to be told what psychological damage a penalty does in that position. Get on top of french forwards when they're away, and their entire team can mentally check out of the hotel. Something he'll learn, but for me, suggests that McGrath starts this one.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

FourMasters wrote:Leo rightly commented on Leinster's under par maul defence. Interestingly, we only tried one line-out maul in 80 minutes, and it was motoring until an error (by Devon?)
Our maul has been very strong in the past few years, wonder if we were keeping it under wraps. Could see a few against Castres, especially in their 22.
Definitely agree on frequency
On that penalty looked to me like the Munster locks were illegally on wrong side and were shunting Toner and Cronin as they retreated to their own side via the back of our maul
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Aussiedub
Mullet

Post by Aussiedub »

FourMasters wrote:Leo rightly commented on Leinster's under par maul defence. Interestingly, we only tried one line-out maul in 80 minutes, and it was motoring until an error (by Devon?)

Against Munster, I was shouting in disbelief at JGP when he picked the ball up from the back of a dominant scrum on the Munster 5-meter line, when Jamie seemed to be trying to keep it in. Maybe the referee told him to use it? Otherwise, he needs to be told what psychological damage a penalty does in that position. Get on top of french forwards when they're away, and their entire team can mentally check out of the hotel. Something he'll learn, but for me, suggests that McGrath starts this one.
Pretty sure the ref said to use it.
After showing Munster how to win a HC final in the first attempt we will now demonstrate how to retain the HC in the following season :-)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I thought you could keep the ball in a scrum as long as you want?
this has happened a few times now.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

According to Gezza in the IT this morning, SOB could be back for this one. Leo hinted at it in post match presser.

Don't think I'd throw him in yet personally. We're well stocked with in for guys in the back row. A run out in the B&I cup would be better and get him ready to bench away to Montpellier?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote:I thought you could keep the ball in a scrum as long as you want?

You can't anymlonger, when the ball has been held at the number 8s feet in a scrum that has been stationary for 3-5 seconds, the ref will call use it - since the 1st of July.
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote:

You can't anymlonger, when the ball has been held at the number 8s feet in a scrum that has been stationary for 3-5 seconds, the ref will call use it - since the 1st of July.
Another is that you can kick a penalty to touch and have the lineout even when the clock is in the red.

An interesting one on Friday. Connacht had a free kick, last play and ref said he couldn't kick it directly into touch. Why was that?
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

the spoofer wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Another is that you can kick a penalty to touch and have the lineout even when the clock is in the red.

An interesting one on Friday. Connacht had a free kick, last play and ref said he couldn't kick it directly into touch. Why was that?
TV clock was wrong, Refs watch is the only one that matters
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The penalty has to have been given before the 80 minutes is up. I thought it had been but I'm guessing the ref didn't.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Ref told him to use it.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

offshorerules wrote:

Ref told him to use it.
Cheers, offshorerules and AussieDub. Wasn't aware of the new rules. Well, I can't say I'm disappointed, I'm not clamouring for more and longer scrums in the game :)
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Actually enforcing the use it rule at scrums is key to stopping French teams from leaving it in for 15 seconds, before eventually rolling forward and getting a penalty. Speeds up the game.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

neiliog93 wrote:Actually enforcing the use it rule at scrums is key to stopping French teams from leaving it in for 15 seconds, before eventually rolling forward and getting a penalty. Speeds up the game.
Now if they'd only hurry up in getting the scrum set up and going we'd be laughing.