Anthony Foley RIP

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Anthony Foley RIP

Post by Oldschool »

artaneboy wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:You missed the point. It's not a song that's well known to younger generations, at least not those from Munster. So it would be next to impossible for it to catch on.
And yet "Ireland's Call" was introduced from nowhere and we sung the crappy lyrics with embarrassed gusto because it was all we had to unite us! You don't think that fans are capable of adopting a song with real relevance and history if the context and tradition- passed great, etc. Is explained? Don't buy that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two wrongs don't make a right.
In fact perhaps what might be more appropriate would be for Munster to replace the field with the isle as a means of remembering one of their great legends.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Anthony Foley RIP

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:You missed the point. It's not a song that's well known to younger generations, at least not those from Munster. So it would be next to impossible for it to catch on.
And yet "Ireland's Call" was introduced from nowhere and we sung the crappy lyrics with embarrassed gusto because it was all we had to unite us! You don't think that fans are capable of adopting a song with real relevance and history if the context and tradition- passed great, etc. Is explained? Don't buy that.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
In fact perhaps what might be more appropriate would be for Munster to replace the field with the isle as a means of remembering one of their great legends.
There are no wrongs there at all; just an illustration of the fact there's no reason, other than the valid one of taste, to say we couldn't or shouldn't pick the song as a more suitable alternative to Ireland's Call.

But I suspect the multiplicity of 'reasons' is really an unease at a Munster-connected song being adopted. Pity.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

artaneboy wrote: But I suspect the multiplicity of 'reasons' is really an unease at a Munster-connected song being adopted. Pity.

No, the unease is because its a very poor idea.

Its not just a Munster song btw, its also the Coolmine club song and I wouldn't be surpised if there were other clubs out there in Ireland and Scotland who use it
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Irony of that is the whole point of Irelands Call is that it represents all 4 provinces

Like it or not its not getting changed

To echo Donny the red AF shirts were a nice touch today
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
artaneboy wrote: But I suspect the multiplicity of 'reasons' is really an unease at a Munster-connected song being adopted. Pity.

No, the unease is because its a very poor idea.

Its not just a Munster song btw, its also the Coolmine club song and I wouldn't be surpised if there were other clubs out there in Ireland and Scotland who use it
Really??? Well, if it's that bad an idea you better offer something other than that weak as milky tea Coolmine alibi.

BTW, definitive provenance and all that stuff, didn't stop Munster, then Liverpool robbing Pete St John's "Fields" on its right province/ club. A good song in context is a good song in context.

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

The fields is shite too

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

artaneboy wrote:
But I suspect the multiplicity of 'reasons' is really an unease at a Munster-connected song being adopted. Pity.

Read the title of this thread and keep your suspicions to your yourself or for another thread whichever you prefer.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

Read the title of this thread and keep your suspicions to your yourself or for another thread whichever you prefer.
Don't get po-faced or preachy; you're easily the least entitled to do that here. But I think my point is made.

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Wonder will Munster be let retire the 8 shirt for the full season
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

artaneboy wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

Don't get po-faced or preachy; you're easily the least entitled to do that here. But I think my point is made.

Give your iphone a break - it needs it!
Last edited by Oldschool on October 23rd, 2016, 10:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Lads let's keep this thread to the Axel memories and tributes and move the anthem elsewhere
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Anthony Foley RIP

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Just watching the 2006 final again, the entire Munster team were massive that day but fuvkin hell Wally was awesome that day

Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on October 23rd, 2016, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

And stringer, for a small and fit bloke has a huge arse

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 6?mode=amp

A fine tribute to a great man. Good for them.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I hear faddeler got it. Top bloke. Even if he's a sarrie