Anthony Foley RIP

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Anthony Foley RIP

Post by jezzer »

Horrible news. I though it was Foleys da who had died when I first heard it. Just the brain refusing to believe it was a healthy 42 year old like Axel. Really terrible loss for the family and the Munster rugby family.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Very sad.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Thoughts are with his family, friends and the wider Munster community. RIP.
Summer is ready when you are

Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

Shocking and saddening news

Hard to take it in

Condolences to his young family and all involved with Munster rugby

RIP Anthony
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

I can still hardly believe it. Deepest sympathies to his family
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

Always sad when these things happen, silver lining of going in Paris in a European game instead of home alone

We might want to delete the "Munster - Who's Boss and who's Toss" thread as a mark of respect :?:

Quite a few people have already given their opinion about him this week already
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

A Huge shock
Condolences to the family.
RIP
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

RIP, Anthony Foley; here's how you will be remembered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ojbxWTk7I
indalo

Post by indalo »

Very sad news indeed. Condolences to his family and many friends.
RIP
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Absolutely shocking and terribly sad. Couldn't believe it when I heard them talking about it on the radio, took a while to sink in.
RIP Anthony Foley
Dont Panic!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Terribly sad news and we can only offer condolences to his family and his many, many friends and colleagues who are shocked.

42 is no age for him to go, half a life, but what a life he lived in what time he had.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Terribly sad news and inconceivable how his wife and kids must be feeling. my sympathies to Olive and the children and to all the extended Foley family.

On a rugby front he is the true epitome of Limerick, Munster and Irish rugby.

Brought up, literally in the Shannon and Munster dressing rooms, his career spanned the evolution of rugby from amateur to professional and the revolution of Irish rugby from plucky and sometimes hapless losers to international contenders and club (interpro) champions. He was at the heart of the great Shannon team of the 90's when they dominated a tremendously competitive All Ireland League. His commitment to his club was best illustrated by his decision to play an All Ireland League game the weekend before his first international cap. At the time it was the norm for players to avoid the risk of injury prior to their international debut but Foley was having none of that. his thinking at the time was that these were the guys who got him there, why would he let them down? Foley played all 48 of those league games over a four season stretch.

One of my favourite memories of Axel was his hattrick of tries against Biarritz in the 38-29 2001 HC quarter final win in Thomond. It was my first (rugby) date with my wife and despite her knowing very little about rugby she knew all about Munster rugby by the end of that game.
22 HC tries in 86 appearances were all important but his presence, his pride and his passion measured his true worth to Munster and Irish rugby.
He was a leader of men and a leader of people.
A true legend.

'Ah boy the Kid'
MrsYetiGoose
Beginner

Post by MrsYetiGoose »

Terrible loss for his family, Munster teammates and fans. I was in Limerick for the weekend. Left yesterday morning and heard the tragic news at lunchtime. We were in Jerry Flannerys bar to watch Leinster and Connacht games and were commenting on how packed it would be on Sunday for Munster. I can only imagine the shock and upset of the fans when they heard this news. I wonder is there a 'hard copy' book of condolence being set up in other cities. Axel would have had a huge respect from rugby fans all over Ireland. Obviously his family will be shattered by this, but the Munster team will be deeply affected too. Can't imagine them having their heads in the right place if they have to play Glasgow on Saturday. Hopefully it will be deferred.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

MrsYetiGoose wrote:Terrible loss for his family, Munster teammates and fans. I was in Limerick for the weekend. Left yesterday morning and heard the tragic news at lunchtime. We were in Jerry Flannerys bar to watch Leinster and Connacht games and were commenting on how packed it would be on Sunday for Munster. I can only imagine the shock and upset of the fans when they heard this news. I wonder is there a 'hard copy' book of condolence being set up in other cities. Axel would have had a huge respect from rugby fans all over Ireland. Obviously his family will be shattered by this, but the Munster team will be deeply affected too. Can't imagine them having their heads in the right place if they have to play Glasgow on Saturday. Hopefully it will be deferred.
There's a book of condolence opened at the IRFU offices on Lansdowne Road
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

The saddest of news - an absolute shock.
The French are predictably unpredictable
Eug
Learner

Post by Eug »

Still numb 24 hours later.

RIP
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Words inadequate but nonetheless necessary. Rugby will miss you Axel but nothing like your family and close friends will.
Four Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Very sad for his Family. I'm sure his dad will become a father to the 2 boys now and help them get through the next while.
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

MrsYetiGoose wrote: Can't imagine them having their heads in the right place if they have to play Glasgow on Saturday. Hopefully it will be deferred.
I would say the opposite. Munster Rugby are at a crux. This is a perfect opportunity for people to fill Thomond Park against worthy opposition and have the 2008 level of demand for tickets.
The are fortunate that they are playing Glasgow as they will give them a proper challenge. they are fortunate that it is in thomond park and not independent park

On a week like this we all have to be a little bit Munster

Also, the last thing they want is to be trying to fit two game into the schedule later in the year
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Powerful statement by the family considering they must be in a state of shock, God love them:

http://www.thejournal.ie/anthony-foley- ... 1-Oct2016/

IMO, the best way for Munster supporters to show their respect for Foley's legacy would be if they started showing up in greater numbers for Munster matches again.