Anthony Foley RIP

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Anthony Foley RIP

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote:Powerful statement by the family considering they must be in a state of shock, God love them:

http://www.thejournal.ie/anthony-foley- ... 1-Oct2016/

IMO, the best way for Munster supporters to show their respect for Foley's legacy would be if they started showing up in greater numbers for Munster matches again.
I'll be honest, while I get where you're coming from, I wouldn't really feel comfortable telling other supporters how to best respect one of their heroes' legacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The game wont be deferred I dont think, unfortunately, especially as its Europe but for what its worth is you can be sure itll be a full house and I hope they will use that emotion, rest assured the crowd will be behind them like no other game

Think Im right in saying this but hopefully they can mirror Ulster retiring 12 for the season when Nevin Spence died and retire the 8 jersey for the season
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
riocard911 wrote:Powerful statement by the family considering they must be in a state of shock, God love them:

http://www.thejournal.ie/anthony-foley- ... 1-Oct2016/

IMO, the best way for Munster supporters to show their respect for Foley's legacy would be if they started showing up in greater numbers for Munster matches again.
I'll be honest, while I get where you're coming from, I wouldn't really feel comfortable telling other supporters how to best respect one of their heroes' legacy.

Point taken!
MrsYetiGoose
Beginner

Post by MrsYetiGoose »

mtleinster wrote:
MrsYetiGoose wrote: Can't imagine them having their heads in the right place if they have to play Glasgow on Saturday. Hopefully it will be deferred.
I would say the opposite. Munster Rugby are at a crux. This is a perfect opportunity for people to fill Thomond Park against worthy opposition and have the 2008 level of demand for tickets.
The are fortunate that they are playing Glasgow as they will give them a proper challenge. they are fortunate that it is in thomond park and not independent park

On a week like this we all have to be a little bit Munster

Also, the last thing they want is to be trying to fit two game into the schedule later in the year
Not to disagree with you, I hope I am wrong but I think there will be so much emotion this week it might have the opposite effect. If, at best, his funeral was mid week followed by the inevitable outpouring of grief, the team would have to get straight back to training with no lead in game for two weeks and somehow try to channel all that emotion. Not having him there at the training sessions has to leave a huge hole. Thomond will be packed to the doors all right but if you have banners and posters remembering Axel all over the ground and a Glasgow team off the back of a hammering of Leicester it could be hard to manage the emotion and not think it will sustain them on its own. I'm just hoping it doesn't go that way. They will still have to play really, really well to beat this Glasgow team. I know it worked well for the 6 Nations game against England at Croker (the English were never going to win that day!). So I hope its the same here. I for one would love to see Munster back to those glory days when they were a rampaging beast and capable of turning over anybody and that's as a Leinster fan. Strong provinces are crucial to our success. I would hate to see them get turned over on Saturday because it was still too raw. Agree with you though on the rescheduling if it comes to it.
Anyway, right now its about the family. Thoughts are with them.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

MrsYetiGoose wrote:
mtleinster wrote:
MrsYetiGoose wrote: Can't imagine them having their heads in the right place if they have to play Glasgow on Saturday. Hopefully it will be deferred.
I would say the opposite. Munster Rugby are at a crux. This is a perfect opportunity for people to fill Thomond Park against worthy opposition and have the 2008 level of demand for tickets.
The are fortunate that they are playing Glasgow as they will give them a proper challenge. they are fortunate that it is in thomond park and not independent park

On a week like this we all have to be a little bit Munster

Also, the last thing they want is to be trying to fit two game into the schedule later in the year
Not to disagree with you, I hope I am wrong but I think there will be so much emotion this week it might have the opposite effect. If, at best, his funeral was mid week followed by the inevitable outpouring of grief, the team would have to get straight back to training with no lead in game for two weeks and somehow try to channel all that emotion. Not having him there at the training sessions has to leave a huge hole. Thomond will be packed to the doors all right but if you have banners and posters remembering Axel all over the ground and a Glasgow team off the back of a hammering of Leicester it could be hard to manage the emotion and not think it will sustain them on its own. I'm just hoping it doesn't go that way. They will still have to play really, really well to beat this Glasgow team. I know it worked well for the 6 Nations game against England at Croker (the English were never going to win that day!). So I hope its the same here. I for one would love to see Munster back to those glory days when they were a rampaging beast and capable of turning over anybody and that's as a Leinster fan. Strong provinces are crucial to our success. I would hate to see them get turned over on Saturday because it was still too raw. Agree with you though on the rescheduling if it comes to it.
Anyway, right now its about the family. Thoughts are with them.
As a Glasgow fan I can't see how Munster will be in any fit state to play on Saturday. Do we even know when the funeral will be?

We had 2 European games to reschedule last year- not ideal but can be done. First priority should be what the Foley family want.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Irish funerals are nearly always within 2-5 days of the death (quite different from the UK), so I'd imagine it's tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neiliog93 wrote:Irish funerals are nearly always within 2-5 days of the death (quite different from the UK), so I'd imagine it's tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.
Unfortunately, passing away outside of Ireland tends to complicate matters quite a lot. Can often take over a week to repatriate the body. Don't think the funeral will take place until early next week.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

cormac wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Irish funerals are nearly always within 2-5 days of the death (quite different from the UK), so I'd imagine it's tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.
Unfortunately, passing away outside of Ireland tends to complicate matters quite a lot. Can often take over a week to repatriate the body. Don't think the funeral will take place until early next week.
Anthony's remains are yet to be officially release, and no word yet when a post mortem will take place.

It may well be Thursday or even Friday before his remains are back in Ireland, with the funeral a couple of days later.

I seriously doubt that there will be a game this weekend.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Takes 2-7 working days in France to process remains in these circumstances. Given the circumstances here I expect it would be closer to 2.

I heard the removal was to be Thurs, funeral on Fri with the match to be played on Sat
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

Poor Axel and his family I feel so for them. I remember an honest and tough player with no little skill...its a tragic loss at so young an age. I hear the game will proceed at weekend I dunno how they will get through 80mins against a very good Glasgow team but they certainly will not lack motivation.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Match confirmed as going ahead according to the Indo....
Four Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Lar wrote:Match confirmed as going ahead according to the Indo....
Damn that's going to be rough. I understand they would be under real pressure from sponsors and organisers to fulfill the fixture but I think its too much to expect them to play it this soon. Cant see how any of their heads could be in the right place.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

According to the IT the Players and Management have a meeting today to decide whether they'll go ahead with it or not. With the Funeral on Friday I can't really seeing it going ahead tbh.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Logorrhea wrote:
Lar wrote:Match confirmed as going ahead according to the Indo....
Damn that's going to be rough. I understand they would be under real pressure from sponsors and organisers to fulfill the fixture but I think its too much to expect them to play it this soon. Cant see how any of their heads could be in the right place.
Totally agree. Even if it's the concensus "it's what Axel would have wanted" it's a huge ask of the organisation and everyone in it to rise to the challenge after such a hard week. If they are being pressured, shame on whoever's doing it.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

kermischocolate wrote:As a Glasgow fan I can't see how Munster will be in any fit state to play on Saturday. Do we even know when the funeral will be?
Funeral scheduled for noon on Friday

http://www.independent.ie/sport/munster ... 42780.html
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

I really don’t see this game going ahead. How can anyone expect players to perform the day after his funeral?

I don’t know how Glasgow could really be expected to play against them.

I do appreciate this is a professional game but given the emotional intensity involved I think there’s a strong chance it’ll be postponed.

RIP to a great player and by all accounts an ever greater man.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

On hearing last night about the funeral and match arrangements, someone suggested to me that Sky might well be demanding that the game proceed so as not to lose two big viewership fixtures in a row.

Thomond Park on Saturday 24 hours after Axel is buried will be packed and raw.

As an aside, Hugo MacNeill's letter of tribute to Axel in the Irish Times today is worth a read:

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/lette ... E.facebook
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

backrower8 wrote:On hearing last night about the funeral and match arrangements, someone suggested to me that Sky might well be demanding that the game proceed so as not to lose two big viewership fixtures in a row.

Thomond Park on Saturday 24 hours after Axel is buried will be packed and raw.

As an aside, Hugo MacNeill's letter of tribute to Axel in the Irish Times today is worth a read:

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/lette ... E.facebook

Thanks for that. Darce's piece is great too!!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/e ... -1.2834346
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Not sure this is the right move, I don't think Axel would have wanted it tbh, I'm sure if the tragedy had hit one of his team mates or heroes he would have wanted time to grieve.

Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

Cannot see how this makes sense...I know life goes on and the show must go on...but the grief will sap their energy...and spare a thought for Glasgow and their fans...everyone in the Rugby world would want to give Axel a good send off...they have to try and spoil the show !!! Not right.