Anthony Foley RIP

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Anthony Foley RIP

Post by jezzer »

Took the English to write the best tribute piece to the man. Excellent stuff.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

I'm amazed that the game is going ahead. It's an extraordinary occasion for both teams, Glasgow must be in quite a strange place as well.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I am of his generation and also have a young family and have friends in the same place in life. This is a time for looking forward to your kids futures not a time to die. It puts daily worries and stresses in context.

My thoughts are with his family.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

RO'G in his column in today's Examiner:

"We will get through Killaloe because Munster's knees don't buckle. They'll stand firm. Tomorrow at Thomond Park, Munster and Glasgow heads will be all over the place. The players will be emotionally drained because it's too much for any human to be able to park what's happened.

You can't do that. But what we will see is the crowd at Thomond Park carrying the Munster team. There is only one man who could trigger the tsunami of emotion we are bracing ourselves for, and that is Axel, because that ground hasn't been full in a few years, and there's one reason it'll be full tomorrow - to go and respect Axel. That's why I'm going."

An Mumhan abú!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Spare a thought for poor Strings playing tonight against Toulon. Wouldn't have been able to make the funeral of his teammate and friend and has to play a huge match.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jezzer wrote:Spare a thought for poor Strings playing tonight against Toulon. Wouldn't have been able to make the funeral of his teammate and friend and has to play a huge match.
even allowing for Philips being injured seems unfair, he was actually at the funeral apparently so making him fly back to start the match let alone bench seems even more unfair
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

In fairness to Sale, and taking Peter Stringers legendary professionalism into account, I wouldn't be surprised if this was his choice and decision.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:In fairness to Sale, and taking Peter Stringers legendary professionalism into account, I wouldn't be surprised if this was his choice and decision.
that is true, some mental fortitude to do so if thats the case
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Feel like I have to write something on here before being able to look at a game again. Foley represented the best of munster and while he could handle that limelight, he never hogged it. He gave as much and looked as comfortable whether he was wearing the Shannon jersey or the Ireland one and he was Mick Galwey's successor as Munster's godfather. Peter Stringer described him as his "protector." It made me think of when there was a great moment last week where Joey Carberry came slaloming through with big sidesteps and Mike Ross was following sidestep for sidestep, ready to clear out and look after him. He wore an expression of an exasperated parent desperately trying to keep an eye on his kids, whilst letting them have some fun. It reminded me hugely of Foley. He did so much of that to allow others to shine, but when it needed someone to control the ball over the line, he was as reliable as you could get. You couldn't get a more quintessential munster homebird and yet he was known worldwide. This week has shown that. To lose such a hard and fair and decent man is beyond brutal. Grief is total and for all the good he brought to be thankful for, all that can be seen at the moment is the good that has been lost. Condolences to his beautiful family and his friends and good luck to munster as they try to do justice to the goodness that he brought to them.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Feel like I have to write something on here before being able to look at a game again. Foley represented the best of munster and while he could handle that limelight, he never hogged it. He gave as much and looked as comfortable whether he was wearing the Shannon jersey or the Ireland one and he was Mick Galwey's successor as Munster's godfather. Peter Stringer described him as his "protector." It made me think of when there was a great moment last week where Joey Carberry came slaloming through with big sidesteps and Mike Ross was following sidestep for sidestep, ready to clear out and look after him. He wore an expression of an exasperated parent desperately trying to keep an eye on his kids, whilst letting them have some fun. It reminded me hugely of Foley. He did so much of that to allow others to shine, but when it needed someone to control the ball over the line, he was as reliable as you could get. You couldn't get a more quintessential munster homebird and yet he was known worldwide. This week has shown that. To lose such a hard and fair and decent man is beyond brutal. Grief is total and for all the good he brought to be thankful for, all that can be seen at the moment is the good that has been lost. Condolences to his beautiful family and his friends and good luck to munster as they try to do justice to the goodness that he brought to them.
Well said! :happy clapper:
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

simonokeeffe wrote:
jezzer wrote:Spare a thought for poor Strings playing tonight against Toulon. Wouldn't have been able to make the funeral of his teammate and friend and has to play a huge match.
even allowing for Philips being injured seems unfair, he was actually at the funeral apparently so making him fly back to start the match let alone bench seems even more unfair
Thought I was hearing things when they were discussing this in the pre game blurb. Don't really know what to say about it.

See the Glasgow squad have visited the tributes at Thomond Park and laid a wreath today. I wonder if there's any significance that Kenny Dalglish seems to have been at Scotstoun this week. If anyone can provide some insight into sport and emotion I'm sure he can. As the opposition Glasgow really are in a difficult position tomorrow.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Yeah, it is difficult for Glasgow but respect demands that they give it their all. I'm sure everyone on both sides are agreed on that one.

Massive respect for Stringer here, a few players in recent times showing the kind of strength it takes. Special people.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Steve Diamond in a prematch interview tonight said that Stringer was adamant that he wanted to play tonight, so Sale's owner put a private plane on for him
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Stringer playing well too!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Thought the same for O'Leary
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Feel like I have to write something on here before being able to look at a game again. Foley represented the best of munster and while he could handle that limelight, he never hogged it. He gave as much and looked as comfortable whether he was wearing the Shannon jersey or the Ireland one and he was Mick Galwey's successor as Munster's godfather. Peter Stringer described him as his "protector." It made me think of when there was a great moment last week where Joey Carberry came slaloming through with big sidesteps and Mike Ross was following sidestep for sidestep, ready to clear out and look after him. He wore an expression of an exasperated parent desperately trying to keep an eye on his kids, whilst letting them have some fun. It reminded me hugely of Foley. He did so much of that to allow others to shine, but when it needed someone to control the ball over the line, he was as reliable as you could get. You couldn't get a more quintessential munster homebird and yet he was known worldwide. This week has shown that. To lose such a hard and fair and decent man is beyond brutal. Grief is total and for all the good he brought to be thankful for, all that can be seen at the moment is the good that has been lost. Condolences to his beautiful family and his friends and good luck to munster as they try to do justice to the goodness that he brought to them.
That's a lovely post. Had a look back at the match on Wednesday and copped Ross blowing hard behind him.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Dave Cahill wrote:Steve Diamond in a prematch interview tonight said that Stringer was adamant that he wanted to play tonight, so Sale's owner put a private plane on for him
That's extraordinary in the most wonderful way :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cianostays wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Steve Diamond in a prematch interview tonight said that Stringer was adamant that he wanted to play tonight, so Sale's owner put a private plane on for him
That's extraordinary in the most wonderful way :clap:
Have to agree with that
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

Thinking about lasting tributes... What about replacing Ireland's Call with There Is An Isle as the Irish rugby anthem?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

bonzo wrote:Thinking about lasting tributes... What about replacing Ireland's Call with There Is An Isle as the Irish rugby anthem?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I'd rather replace Amhrann na bhFiann with something to be honest. It is musically and lyrically horrible and has no meaning for the Ireland of today.
There is an Isle certainly has better lyrics than it (or Ireland's Call), it could do with a bit of sprucing up musically though. Maybe I'm prejudiced from my youth, listening to aul fellas with a few too many pints drawling it out at Shannon games though.

It really is pretty moving to see the response of the rugby community around the world to Axel's passing. I can't remember an equivalent.