Anthony Foley RIP

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

Anthony Foley RIP

Post by COYBIB »

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/38284.php#.WAOfersX7IU

I know this isn't strictly a Leinster related topic, but I think given the magnitude of this morning’s development and for higher visibility, it would be appropriate to open a "book of condolences" in the main forum for us to express our condolences to the family of Anthony Foley, his close friends and the Munster and Irish rugby family as a whole.

I think it's fair to say that the Foley name is held amongst the highest regard in both Munster and Irish rugby, his father was part of the Munster team who achieved that famous win over the All Blacks, and Anthony of course captained Munster to their first European Crown in 2006.

Much like the sad passing of Nevin Spence in 2012, these are untimely reminders of how fragile life can be and puts into a wider context the bond we all share as fans at a time like this, when rugby seems so irrelevant in the shadow of a real tragedy.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
larock

Re: Anthony Foley RIP

Post by larock »

So very sad to hear of Anthony Axel Foley untimely passing.
On behalf of my fellow 4 season ticket holders and rugby and Ireland supports we
Send our condolences to his family and to all Munster fans.
He was some man for one man.
hope not expectation
Bookworm

Post by hope not expectation »

I was really shocked to hear the news. His love of Munster Rugby was plain to see. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends and condolances to all fans of Munster Rugby
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Utterly, utterly shocking news.
I literally couldn't believe it when I heard today. Such a young age to go at too.

I can only imagine what his family and friends are going through. A man who gave his all for every side he played for, and that's something that only deserves respect. Some brilliant tributes on Newstalk today.
RIP.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nquDK5oFs

Still cant quite believe it. RIP Axel.
Here's a good memory from 2004 for Ireland.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Very sad for all involved in Irish rugby- particularly for Munster Rugby and its fans. A shock to all in the world of rugby- where his personification of Munster was universally recognised and much admired. Tragic beyond words for his wife, children, family and close friends.

Rest in peace Anthony.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

A huge loss to Munster and all of Irish rugby. One of the smartest players I've ever seen, his natural rugby intelligence was simply awesome. By all accounts a very decent man too.

RIP.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

A sad, sad day for Ireland. A young man with a young family, my thoughts and condolences go to his family.
Icarus
Knowledgeable

Post by Icarus »

A sad loss. He will be sorely missed. Ar dheis De go raibh a h-anam dilis.
Last edited by Icarus on October 16th, 2016, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nquDK5oFs

Still cant quite believe it. RIP Axel.
Here's a good memory from 2004 for Ireland.
He was at 8 for the Ireland side which was the first to beat England after the 2003 world cup, which I feel took rugby more into the Irish publics view. A great memory.

A sad loss for his family, condolences and thoughts with them.
Anyone But New Zealand
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A man whose DNA is now part of Shannon, Munster and Irish rugby. Rest in peace Axel
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Very sad. RIP
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I was watching the Ulster game and got quite a shock when they came back from the break and his picture was on the screen with 1973-2016 underneath it. Just goes to show how trivial any sporting rivalries are.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

nc6000 wrote:I was watching the Ulster game and got quite a shock when they came back from the break and his picture was on the screen with 1973-2016 underneath it. Just goes to show how trivial any sporting rivalries are.
+1
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
MrSensible
Learner

Post by MrSensible »

An absolute gentleman. So Sad. Condolences to his family & Munster Rugby
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Peg Leg wrote:
nc6000 wrote:I was watching the Ulster game and got quite a shock when they came back from the break and his picture was on the screen with 1973-2016 underneath it. Just goes to show how trivial any sporting rivalries are.
+1
Yeah it was really weird. I remember them very, very briefly going back to the studio at the end of the first half. There was a surreal way the presewnter closed the show before the break and then almost immediately the news alert from Newstalk flashed across the screen.

Shocking news. very hard to find the right thing to say.

Foley's hands here for Wood's try for England.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7HvT-OREoM
Pendragon
Bookworm

Post by Pendragon »

Everybody is shocked and saddened. It is always tragic when someone so young with children passes. No matter what they did for a living. He was a genuine hard but fair man. A real rugby man. RIP Anthony
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Just so surreal and sad. 42 years old ffs. His poor family. Condolences to his family and friends.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Turned on the radio to get the build-up to the Munster match, to hear Donal Lenihan mid-sentence having difficulty speaking about a deep loss to Munster rugby. At first I thought it must be an older official or ex-player, blood ran cold when the name "Anthony" came into his words. I'll usually follow all the results of a European cup weekend with interest, lost all interest today.
Heart goes out to Anthony Foley's young family, and of course to all Munster supporters.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was so shocked that initially I couldn't actually make sense of the dates on the TV. I thought they were talking about great European players and had the dates of his career up or something and honestly thought "that couldn't be right...2016 is this year". Just so hard to believe, still hasn't sunk in now and I never met the guy, can't begin to imagine how his family feels.