Montpellier v Leinster - Sunday 14.00 CET/13.00 Irish time

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Montpellier v Leinster - Sunday 14.00 CET/13.00 Irish time

Post by curates_egg »

5 years since the last time we played them there. The din as Sexton took the penalty to draw at the end was seriously impressive.
Had forgotten Nugget had exploded over the line in that game too. Still going strong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kI2prD4Tiw

A very different Montpellier outfit now. All power based.
We are probably less different this season (to our 2011 iteration) than we have been for a while.

Regardless of the injuries, I reckon we would have seen a different back row, a different second row and a different back row. I reckon we will see Ross starting and SOB and Murphy might come into the squad.
As good as Carberry was, I really hope Sexton is back for this. At home vs a disinterested Castres is a slightly different proposition to Montpellier in Montpellier.
Another call is at scrum half. Assuming Isa doesn't play there, there are solid cases to be made for either McGrath or JGP.
If Dave is fit, he'll surely start. Kirchner was about the only unimpressive back yesterday.

Sadly, I won't make it there this time myself.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Montpellier v Leinster - Sunday 14.00 CET/13.00 Irish ti

Post by suisse »

curates_egg wrote:5 years since the last time we played them there. The din as Sexton took the penalty to draw at the end was seriously impressive.
Had forgotten Nugget had exploded over the line in that game too. Still going strong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kI2prD4Tiw

A very different Montpellier outfit now. All power based.
We are probably less different this season (to our 2011 iteration) than we have been for a while.

Regardless of the injuries, I reckon we would have seen a different back row, a different second row and a different back row. I reckon we will see Ross starting and SOB and Murphy might come into the squad.
As good as Carberry was, I really hope Sexton is back for this. At home vs a disinterested Castres is a slightly different proposition to Montpellier in Montpellier.
Another call is at scrum half. Assuming Isa doesn't play there, there are solid cases to be made for either McGrath or JGP.
If Dave is fit, he'll surely start. Kirchner was about the only unimpressive back yesterday.

Sadly, I won't make it there this time myself.
I thought McGrath was awful on Saturday. Again. Passing to shoelaces.
Rémy63
Bookworm

Post by Rémy63 »

From Clermont : C'mon you boys in blue !!
"Worst Olympic Game Ever"
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

suisse wrote: I thought McGrath was awful on Saturday. Again. Passing to shoelaces.
Agreed - Carbery preformed miracles to hold some of them.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Montpellier have signed Tomas O'Leary as a medical joker
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Strange. Is there something going on behind the scenes with TOL and Munster? Seems like he was there...but not really there...if that makes sense.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Strange. Is there something going on behind the scenes with TOL and Munster? Seems like he was there...but not really there...if that makes sense.
Munster journos were saying last few weeks he couldnt train with old back injury flaring up. Plus Sheridan is out for a while now and Murray has a busy November
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Who's his agent?
From what I've seen and heard of his form, it seems like a miracle has been worked.
Nic White has been playing back-up to Paillaugue (who's off injured). They have some guy called Cameron Wright on their books as well but I don't know much about him (other than that google tells me he's a Safa of course) and he hasn't really played for them.
It's some fooken squad when you look at it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montpelli ... rent_squad
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Nic White cost Montpellier the win against Northampton big time. Leinster shouldn't be afraid of them at all especially after that performance from the pack on Saturday. All of a sudden I think we have a good chance of getting a win after the weekend. With Sexton back in the fold, fingers crossed, we'll have a big chance.
I think we'll go for 6/2 split on the bench with big power to come on in the second half. My 23 would be this:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Zane Kirchner
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Isa Nacewa
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Luke McGrath
8. Jamie Heaslip
7. Josh van der Flier
6. Rhys Ruddock ( injury depending ) ( Dan Leavy otherwise )
5. Ian Nagle
4. Devin Toner
3. Mike Ross
2. Sean Cronin
1. Jack McGrath

16. James Tracy
17. Cian Healy
18. Tadhg Furlong ( injury depending ) ( Michael Bent otherwise )
19. Mick Kearney
20. Dan Leavy ( O'Brien if Leavy starts )
21. Jordi Murphy
22. Jamison Gibson-Park
23. Joey Carbery
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

erskinechilders wrote:Nic White cost Montpellier the win against Northampton big time. Leinster shouldn't be afraid of them at all especially after that performance from the pack on Saturday. All of a sudden I think we have a good chance of getting a win after the weekend. With Sexton back in the fold, fingers crossed, we'll have a big chance.
I think we'll go for 6/2 split on the bench with big power to come on in the second half. My 23 would be this:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Zane Kirchner
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Isa Nacewa
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Luke McGrath
8. Jamie Heaslip
7. Josh van der Flier
5. Ian Nagle
4. Devin Toner
3. Mike Ross
2. Sean Cronin
1. Jack McGrath

16. James Tracy
17. Cian Healy
19. Mick Kearney
21. Jordi Murphy
22. Jamison Gibson-Park
23. Joey Carbery
I concur - with one objection: Zane Kirchner just doesn't do it for me on the wing. I'd rather see RO'L or even Carberry there.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

curates_egg wrote:They have some guy called Cameron Wright on their books as well but I don't know much about him (other than that google tells me he's a Safa of course) and he hasn't really played for them.
This is his second season with them. He has 11 apps and 1 try. Was an unused sub on Saturday. He was in the Sharks Academy
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

erskinechilders wrote:Nic White cost Montpellier the win against Northampton big time. Leinster shouldn't be afraid of them at all especially after that performance from the pack on Saturday. All of a sudden I think we have a good chance of getting a win after the weekend. With Sexton back in the fold, fingers crossed, we'll have a big chance.

15. Rob Kearney
14. Zane Kirchner
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Isa Nacewa
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Luke McGrath
8. Jamie Heaslip
7. Josh van der Flier
5. Ian Nagle
4. Devin Toner
3. Mike Ross
2. Sean Cronin
1. Jack McGrath

16. James Tracy
17. Cian Healy
19. Mick Kearney
21. Jordi Murphy
22. Jamison Gibson-Park
23. Joey Carbery
I don't think SOB should be included. He's only had 40 minutes of rugby. Let him get a full game under his belt. It's not like we need to rush him back.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

curates_egg wrote:Who's his agent?
From what I've seen and heard of his form, it seems like a miracle has been worked.
Nic White has been playing back-up to Paillaugue (who's off injured). They have some guy called Cameron Wright on their books as well but I don't know much about him (other than that google tells me he's a Safa of course) and he hasn't really played for them.
It's some fooken squad when you look at it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montpelli ... rent_squad
Jesse Mogg might be a guy we could take a look at next season?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

jezzer wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Who's his agent?
Jesse Mogg might be a guy we could take a look at next season?
Pace out wide. Check!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Mogg is a bit flakey, hes been good in flashes and white has had him at 2 clubs but you could find better project wings let alone NIQs and I think hes primarily a fullback
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

We'll struggle to snag a test frontliner or a guy who the big money clubs want. It'll prob be a Mogg-level player we get, if we're allowed anyone...

He is a bit flakey, but I'll take that over some of our 3/4.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

On 8min there should be a few lines of the fields for Axel.

Or a mins applause.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Stuka wrote:On 8min there should be a few lines of the fields for Axel.

Or a mins applause.
I'm pretty sure there is no way it would fly to do something mid-game in Montpellier: there won't be that many Leinster fans and the Montpellier fans won't know what's going on.
I'm sure it will be marked in an appropriate way: presumably a minute's silence or applause at the start. I'm not sure the fields would have been the right way in any case.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I watched most of the saints - Montpellier game. Montpellier offered a lot of bosh and have some danger men on the wing (Their try featured a lovely offload from Naholo) but mostly they were bosh. Thought Nige(and to some extent the ARs) was a bit kind to Saints in the first half who made a big defensive effort. If they have us under that much pressure at home I think they'll score. Nic White is fairly dangerous with the box kicks but I think Rob and Isa will be well able for that. Their lineout wasn't great but not sure we've anyone to really challenge unless we start Molony. We can't out "big" them but probably can out run them. Mind you it was our pack who dominated the scoring last Saturday.....
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

curates_egg wrote: I'm not sure the fields would have been the right way in any case.
I was thinking that yesterday - There is an Isle seemed more appropriate somehow. I think you're absolutely right, a minute's applause at the beginning sounds about right.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan