Leinster v Connacht, Sat 29 Oct @ 17.15 in the RDS

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Connacht, Sat 29 Oct @ 17.15 in the RDS

Post by neiliog93 »

Our defence was pretty outstanding until the missed tackle on Delahunt at the death.

Adam Byrne looked sharp going forward and defended very well against Adeleokun. I thought O'Loughlin's defensive decision-making showed maturity and he fronted up well with a huge hit on big Bundee Aki and more generally against Peter Robb, the latter of whom honestly is the biggest looking centre I've seen apart from Bastareaud.

The dilemma in back row selection is a great problem to have. I fancy Conan to force his way in, exceptionally powerful guy and deserved his Irish cap before the 2015 RWC. I can actually see Ruddock losing out, with VDF and Leavy neck and neck for 7 (or 6 if Leavy wins the battle and SOB is moved to 7), SOB 6 and Jamie 8. Conan 20.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wprathead
Bookworm

Post by wprathead »

No issue with losing that - Leinster defense was so solid, Lancaster looks to have a serious defensive system in place there. A promising opening 25mins for Connacht but when Ronaldson went off with HIA and when SOB got binned it all seemed to fall apart

Thought Jack Carty was one of our better players again tonight.

I'll admit to not buying into the Leavy hype but having experienced it first hand, wow, he some player
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

We were poor for the first 20 mins, then excellent for the next hour. Happy Days.

Lacey's refusal to referee the breakdown seemed to frustrate us at first but, once we adapted to that, his influence was minimal. From our spot on the terrace I couldn't appreciate Leavy's performance as I thought SO'B and Healy were our many poachers (great to see these to coming back into a bit of form). Conan and Byrne were my highlights for their lines of running and offloading. It's great to see that we do have some talented backs with a bit of pace coming through. Like everyone else, I was thrilled with O'Loughlin's hit on Aki. A lot of us would have felt that we lacked adequate cover for the Henshaw-Ringrose partnership but Reid's dramatic defensive improvement and O'Loughlin's discovery should allay a lot of those fears. After an hour we looked full of energy and Connacht looked out on their feet.

The pack look big, hungry and full of dynamism. The backs seem to have found a bit of speed and invention. Our coaching team this season, so far anyway, are certainly producing the goods :D :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

neiliog93 wrote:Our defence was pretty outstanding until the missed tackle on Delahunt at the death.

Adam Byrne looked sharp going forward and defended very well against Adeleokun. I thought O'Loughlin's defensive decision-making showed maturity and he fronted up well with a huge hit on big Bundee Aki and more generally against Peter Robb, the latter of whom honestly is the biggest looking centre I've seen apart from Bastareaud.

The dilemma in back row selection is a great problem to have. I fancy Conan to force his way in, exceptionally powerful guy and deserved his Irish cap before the 2015 RWC. I can actually see Ruddock losing out, with VDF and Leavy neck and neck for 7 (or 6 if Leavy wins the battle and SOB is moved to 7), SOB 6 and Jamie 8. Conan 20.
Peter Robb is cartoonishly big. He actually reminds me of Mr Incedible. Only Peter Robb is in better nick.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Fan with smartphone wrote:
hugonaut wrote:Very good win, and a very good performance overall. Dan Leavy once again shone brightest – an outstanding wing forward's performance from him. Easily the man of the match from my viewing, and glad to see that he picked up the official award. I've said it before and will say it again, he's a player who can thrive at the highest level of the game.

A lot of fine performances from our inexperienced three-quarter line, highlighted by tries from Adam Byrne and Barry Daly, and a smashing defensive performance from Rory "Conor" O'Loughlin.

AB+ completely outplayed Kelleher in every practical aspect of a winger's game – running, chasing, defending, physicality, positioning, restarts – which was a real source of satisfaction. It reinforces that it was absolutely f*cking bonkers that Matt O'Connor didn't give Byrner a single minute of gametime and gave Darragh Fanning 2200+mins over two seasons. That's not to totally sh*t on Fanj, but when you've got a guy with outstanding physical capabilities and a long history of playing rep. rugby above his age grade, you're well served to actually give him a chance on the pitch.

The half-back partnership was extremely impressive. JG doesn't alway choose the right option, but he has enough gas and quick enough hands to get himself out of trouble, and Carberry really grew into the game against an accomplished opposite number in Jack Carty. By the end of it [admittedly with a pack completely in control], Carberry was playing Carty off the park.

Decent performances from Cian, Seany, Rossy, Mike Mac, Mike Kearney and Jack Conan up front. We had too much for them on paper and, as it turned out, on grass too. Not by any means a first rate showing from the pack as a whole, but some real moments of quality and a lot of intent.
On Byrne, I hate it when people talk about a winger and ask what's his kicking game like, but what's his kicking game like? He showed all the skills you've mentioned in his repertoire tonight (and I'd add offloading), but not kicking. It will really harm him if he is one of those potentially exciting wingers who just keeps getting the ball put in behind him. Given O'Connor's gameplan that might explain his omission. Certainly on the evidence of tonight, he is worth a go in there for a spell.
Well Byrne kicked very effectively and accurately into space for one of our best attacks in the second half. Great judgement and execution. Doesn't look much wrong with that aspect. He was very good all match in attack and defence- carrying, passing, tackling, receiving... everything.

Okay it's one match- but he's now not just an option, he's the one I want to see in the squad (at least) whenever he's available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

nc6000 wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:It'll be very hard to leave one of Ruddock, VDF, Leavy, Sean O'Brien & Heaslip out of European match day squads when all are fit. I guess that's a great problem to have. Conan has it in him to catch up with them too. Dominic Ryan is a while behind, and might be well advised to move on now.
Don't forget Jordi Murphy.
Yeah, that too. It's a bit ridiculous really. Given their age profile, you would have to wonder about the opportunities the likes of Tinmins will get.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Special mention for Cronin in the midfield chase for the ball, speeding past the 4 Leinster and Con backs.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Peter Robb, the latter of whom honestly is the biggest looking centre I've seen apart from Bastareaud.
Robb and Aki are scary big. I fancy Robb will be capped in the next season or two if he keeps his form up, his skill-set under Lam is improving the whole time.
It's a bit ridiculous really. Given their age profile, you would have to wonder about the opportunities the likes of Tinmins will get.
Agreed. If Ulster were smart they'd be making come hither eyes to him at the next contract setting if they could talk Dominic Ryan off the roof.
Last edited by sunshiner1 on October 30th, 2016, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Our mauling game was pretty poor yesterday. We had 6 men being held by 2 before they added numbers and turned it over (think it was McKeon lying on top of the ball for that one). Our attacking maul seems to take so long to form and it's too wide to be effective, letting oppo through the middle and failing to put any real length between ball and defence.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Noel Reid for president.
Daniel Sullivan
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Peg Leg wrote:Our mauling game was pretty poor yesterday. We had 6 men being held by 2 before they added numbers and turned it over (think it was McKeon lying on top of the ball for that one). Our attacking maul seems to take so long to form and it's too wide to be effective, letting oppo through the middle and failing to put any real length between ball and defence.
Can't speak for all of them but the maul we tried towards the end of the first half was dreadfully officiated. We saw both McKeown and Heenan enter it from the side whilst the touch judge said nothing. JGP also had the ball in his hands when Lacey awarded a Connacht scrum. Absoloutely infuriating.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Very accomplished and reassuring performance. Connaught are a good team. Save for some lack of pace, we have the best squad of players in Europe but the difference is that we now have a great coach once more - first since 2012.

Onwards and upwards - we can go all the way now.

Oh those missed seasons where we squandered our talents. We cannot expect to win Europe every year but we can expect a home quarter final with the resources we have - choc-full of internationals.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Raydollard wrote:Very accomplished and reassuring performance. Connaught are a good team. Save for some lack of pace, we have the best squad of players in Europe but the difference is that we now have a great coach once more - first since 2012.

Onwards and upwards - we can go all the way now.

Oh those missed seasons where we squandered our talents. We cannot expect to win Europe every year but we can expect a home quarter final with the resources we have - choc-full of internationals.
And of course we have a very good back-up out half in Joey Carberry this year. What was the name of the guy he replaced? :D

Excellent performace from us in the 2nd half especially. A real feel good factor around the RDS last night. Exciting times ahead.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Our defence was all over the shop in that first 20 minutes. Clearly there was a change made from up above and that's great, but I'm really impressed that the young/second choice guys in our backline were able to execute the new plan so well. Wouldn't get carried away with Adam Byrne's performance, he made some dreadful reads in defence was lucky to get away with them, but sorted that out and ROL was the same beside him, thought he really stepped up very well. Whenever I've seen Byrne I've been critical that he doesn't go looking for the ball so doesn't see it unless it's a pre planned move or someone puts him away. When you think of his involvements yesterday then it was the same again but I don't mean that as a criticism for yesterday particularly given that he's been injured, not played much for the first team at all and was playing in a big game etc, plus he did really really well with everything he was asked to do. It's more a comment of how I hope he can improve and want to go out and be the difference maker, because physically he's certainly capable and it was a really good performance overall.

You'd easily forget that our halfbacks are both young and new to the team/each other. Thought they controlled things really well. Carbery just inspires such confidence and doesn't look like he needs his hand held at all. His footwork before Byrne's try was brilliant. Both Connacht centres tried to take his head off but he skipped around them and made a couple of hard yards.

Like everyone else I was hugely impressed with Leavy. He seems to know what's happening a second before almost everyone else on the pitch. Think he had five turnovers in the end and did a whole lot more besides, brilliant stuff and he's unlucky not to be in the Ireland squad. Didn't think Conan was great for the A team last week but was very good yesterday. Healy really is far more like the Healy of old, it's great to see and just hope it continues.

Hats off to the coaches for having the team mentally and physically ready for the last month of games. It was a tough period to get through but we've done really well. I'm also very pleased that we're not just going to be throwing young guys in against Zebre to basically fulfil the fixture, there were guys yesterday who will play next week and you'd hope they just build on how they played and really stake a claim for when the internationals are back. The squad is just being managed really well.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:Noel Reid for president.
Noel Reid to hang on to someone in the tackle :P

Lacey overlooked a horrendous block for Akis break at the start of the second half (and then a Connacht clearout from our side). Wouldve been gimme 3 points

Think Robb would need to be first choice for Connacht before getting capped, and centre for Ireland is getting very competitive
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Think last night might have silenced a lot of grumbles coming from out west about Joe's selections for the national side. I genuinely thought Connacht were set to rip us open in centre and burn us out wide but a lot of young lads from our squad really turned up in a big way. Our scrum was a beut, our defence (last 60) sublime, our passing flowed, and Isarunning the show from 15 is like a fine wine!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I know the Nick Williams tackle seems like a bit of a watershed moment for Noel but yesterday he dragged ROL out of a ruck on the Connacht line so that we didn't give away a penalty for not rolling away. Absolutely brilliant play from him and something that I just can't imagine him doing before. He really does seem to have turned a corner.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I know the Nick Williams tackle seems like a bit of a watershed moment for Noel but yesterday he dragged ROL out of a ruck on the Connacht line so that we didn't give away a penalty for not rolling away. Absolutely brilliant play from him and something that I just can't imagine him doing before. He really does seem to have turned a corner.
I'm putting it down to him bleaching his hair
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I know the Nick Williams tackle seems like a bit of a watershed moment for Noel but yesterday he dragged ROL out of a ruck on the Connacht line so that we didn't give away a penalty for not rolling away. Absolutely brilliant play from him and something that I just can't imagine him doing before. He really does seem to have turned a corner.

Watching the game again and taking my notes for Blues Talk (yes we do actually prepare for it believe it nor not) and that moment is underlined, in bold and highlighted! Just super intelligent play
I have Bumbleflex
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

back-up outhalf? Nonsense. Like Madigan was and is in France, he is number 1. He has no problem replacing Jonny.