Zebre v Leinster, 05/11/16, 17:05 local time

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Zebre v Leinster, 05/11/16, 17:05 local time

Post by jezzer »

I'm running Opera with Hola and it tells me it won't run in a private window. In a normal window, set to Italy, the video is still blocked. Anyone know why? Thx.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

jezzer wrote:I'm running Opera with Hola and it tells me it won't run in a private window. In a normal window, set to Italy, the video is still blocked. Anyone know why? Thx.
Get a less esoteric browser :)
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Some very good running from Adam Byrne & Barry Daly on the wings, maybe one or both of them could develop into a top class finisher.

Offloads for Conan's try great and Adam Byrne caught at least 3 high balls a la Shane Horgan as well as his trys. The offload for Tom Daly after high catch was superb.

Only criticism would be Adam Byrne and Leavy getting blocked as scrum wheeled for their try leaving easy run in. Not sure if they could have prevented it anyway and needed more support on short side.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

JGPs final offload for Conan was smart play by a smart player. Really a touch of class.

Suprised to see Nige reffing a sh1tty away Italian fixture on an international weekend. He must be taking a step back.

Between there being no legal way of watching this and TG4 going back on their promise to stream it, it really is an insult.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

That catch by Byrne off the kickoff is Horganesque.

Barry Daly runs like someone who has had a bit of sprint form coaching. Maybe he could have given it to JGP after his big break though
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Just from looking at the highlights the tries aren't even the highlight of Byrne's performance. Won numerous aerial duels in terrible handling conditions, one of them setting up a try. I can actually see him starting in our full strength team this season.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

neiliog93 wrote:Just from looking at the highlights the tries aren't even the highlight of Byrne's performance. Won numerous aerial duels in terrible handling conditions, one of them setting up a try. I can actually see him starting in our full strength team this season.
Exactly, made a few great hits and some nice half breaks too.

Looking at the third try, must say Tom Daly's line and offload were brilliant. Bodes well.

Triggs had a good game too. Some nice takes and he has lovely hands.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:JGPs final offload for Conan was smart play by a smart player. Really a touch of class.

Suprised to see Nige reffing a sh1tty away Italian fixture on an international weekend. He must be taking a step back.

Between there being no legal way of watching this and TG4 going back on their promise to stream it, it really is an insult.
He's reffing Italy vs NZ next weekend - probably getting a holiday in.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

goreyguy wrote:the tries from the weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urcs6W8 ... youtu.be&a
Thanks for posting that GG.

Have to say that I am absolutely delighted for Adam Byrne [in particular] and Tom Daly. As somebody who has been singing their praises for four years and bleating about their lack of opportunities for three, I'm very happy they're taking their chances so well.

I was worried that pushing Daly to outside centre could impact on his game negatively on his debut, but from those highlights it looks like he went very well indeed. Should have had more faith in the chap ...

As for AB+, what a way to grab your chance! He joins an illustrious list of Leinster hat-trick scorers [of the pro era] that includes Drico, Darcy [x2], Shane Horgan [x2], Denis Hickie, Felipe Contepomi and Luke Fitzgerald* – some company to keep. He has had some ups and downs with injury and form over the last four years, but the main factor holding him back [in my opinion] has been a lack of adventure in selection, and a skewed view of the risk/reward probability in the face of obviously massive potential. I would put those same factors as the main cause behind Kelleher opting to move to Connacht; even though I wouldn't be a particular fan, it doesn't blind me to his obvious ability.

*As far as I can ascertain, the hat-trick scorers are below - maybe Xan has a more complete list?

2016-17 - Adam Byrne [@ Zebre 05/11/16]
2013-14 - Luke Fitzgerald [@ Northampton 07/12/13]
2012-13 - Andrew Conway [vs Ospreys 03/05/13]
2006-07 - Shane Horgan [vs Edinburgh 13/01/07]
2006-07 - Brian O'Driscoll [vs Agen 09/12/06]
2004-05 - Shane Horgan [vs Treviso 15/01/05]
2004-05 - Felipe Contepomi [vs Bourgoin 04/12/04]
2004-05 - Gary Browne [vs Borders 24/09/04]
2002-03 - Denis Hickie [vs Swansea 10/01/03]
2002-03 - Gordon D'Arcy [vs Swansea 19/10/2002]
2000-01 - Gordon D'Arcy [vs Northampton 27/10/00]
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

hugonaut wrote:
goreyguy wrote:the tries from the weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urcs6W8 ... youtu.be&a
Thanks for posting that GG.

Have to say that I am absolutely delighted for Adam Byrne [in particular] and Tom Daly. As somebody who has been singing their praises for four years and bleating about their lack of opportunities for three, I'm very happy they're taking their chances so well.

I was worried that pushing Daly to outside centre could impact on his game negatively on his debut, but from those highlights it looks like he went very well indeed. Should have had more faith in the chap ...

As for AB+, what a way to grab your chance! He joins an illustrious list of Leinster hat-trick scorers [of the pro era] that includes Drico, Darcy [x2], Shane Horgan [x2], Denis Hickie, Felipe Contepomi and Luke Fitzgerald* – some company to keep. He has had some ups and downs with injury and form over the last four years, but the main factor holding him back [in my opinion] has been a lack of adventure in selection, and a skewed view of the risk/reward probability in the face of obviously massive potential. I would put those same factors as the main cause behind Kelleher opting to move to Connacht; even though I wouldn't be a particular fan, it doesn't blind me to his obvious ability.

*As far as I can ascertain, the hat-trick scorers are below - maybe Xan has a more complete list?

2016-17 - Adam Byrne [@ Zebre 05/11/16]
2013-14 - Luke Fitzgerald [@ Northampton 07/12/13]
2012-13 - Andrew Conway [vs Ospreys 03/05/13]
2006-07 - Shane Horgan [vs Edinburgh 13/01/07]
2006-07 - Brian O'Driscoll [vs Agen 09/12/06]
2004-05 - Shane Horgan [vs Treviso 15/01/05]
2004-05 - Felipe Contepomi [vs Bourgoin 04/12/04]
2004-05 - Gary Browne [vs Borders 24/09/04]
2002-03 - Denis Hickie [vs Swansea 10/01/03]
2002-03 - Gordon D'Arcy [vs Swansea 19/10/2002]
2000-01 - Gordon D'Arcy [vs Northampton 27/10/00]
Not too many duds in that list, eh Hugo?

Fair play to Byrne but also to Daly, who to me looks a very dangerous runner in limited space. Both guys are serious looking athletes which, with no disrespect intended to our recent wingers, is a prototype we've been missing for a while. Both seem to have acceleration and long speed, which we all know we're sorely missing at times. They also both looked very composed in the previous game and in these highlights, with and without the ball.

Now that the coaches know they can play and be comfortable at a Pro12 level, I agree with Hugo that it's time to fasttrack one or both into the regular rotation, esp with a view to the future of Kirchner and Isa at the club as players being in doubt.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Dominic Ryan got a hat trick against Treviso in 2013

http://www.the42.ie/dominic-ryan-hat-tr ... 0-Feb2013/
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

They're also both tall and quite heavy, again something we haven't really had in those positions since Horgan (well, maybe Fanning...).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

leinsterforever wrote:Dominic Ryan got a hat trick against Treviso in 2013

http://www.the42.ie/dominic-ryan-hat-tr ... 0-Feb2013/
And Lukey Fitz has a second one - against Edinburgh in September 08

If I have a minute later I'll get out the spreadsheet and have a look to see if there are any others.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Finally got to watch it.

Was a much more even game than the scoreline says. We got bossed in contact for the first 45 mins or so and then we upped the physicality and the footwork to avoid the head-on collisions. Leavy was very visible in this phase of the game, as was Conan.

No doubt JGP had a very good game. Really took a leadership role and was everywhere in attack and defence. I remember 3 crucial tackles that held Zebre back from big gains.

Ross Byrne impressed me more that I expected from the thread posts. Confident, good vision, excellent passing off both sides, some laser kicks incl the crossfielder for Adam. He just sits a little too deep and doesn't take it to the gain line enough. Gave Reid a bit of trouble through the match by passing it too deep and too early. He got a little lateral at times too, but some of that was him trying to loop after the pass to be the extra receiver. All in all, more positive than negative and he just needs to lead the line in attack wit a bit more intent.

Hard to rate the midfield as a result; though Reid put on a nice show of passing, offloading and even a flick out the back - without being dominant or game breaking. The two young wingers were impressive. Adam for his finishing and Daly for his openfield running. Both defended well and hit rucks. They both sort of remind me of 2 American football wide receivers , Byrne the boundary guy who wins the contested catch and burns the secondary, Daly the slot receiver who turns the 5yd catch into a 25yd gain.

Triggs was very valuable in the game as a grizzly beard and a physical presence. Helped us a lot when we were under the pump from the Zebre pack.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've been critical of Adam Byrne and Tom Daly but great to see them looking so good in those clips. Byrne in particular deserves more game time given the lack of options/pace out wide.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I've been critical of Adam Byrne and Tom Daly but great to see them looking so good in those clips. Byrne in particular deserves more game time given the lack of options/pace out wide.
Byrne looks like a born finisher to me. Something we are crying out for. Ringrose at 13 isn't right now an awesome finisher, but he's great at working in tandem with a wide player to get in behind and put players away. He just needs a winger he can do that with. Byrne and he look like a tandem made for each other.