A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: New Leinster Rugby website

Post by Dave Cahill »

goreyguy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
No, its not a fact that its mostly shite. Its a fact that in your opinion its mostly shite. In my opinion too a lot of it is poorly executed. But that doesn't mean that it is shite or poorly executed though. All that matters are the users, the user is God, and judging by the numbers, God is pretty happy.
appealing to the lowest common denominater.. everything thats wrong with modern society.
Vox populi vox dei
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
goreyguy wrote:The vast majority of content they put out on social media streams is useless shite.
Sez you (and a lot of the time I sez so too), but just because we don't like it doesn't mean the vast majority of Leinster supporters don't. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that this site or its posters are representative of the greater Leinster Rugby community - because it isn't and we aren't.
This became apparent to me after we beat Edinburgh earlier in the year. The leinsterrugby twitter account was retweeting Leinster fans after the game. Things like
Incredbile defense there from leinster
Another comrpehensive victory for leinster
Which wasn't really what had happened on the pitch. Now, fair enough morkeshing needs a positive story so they're always going to look for stuff that supports a positive narrative. But I found myself wondering who the hell are these people.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I find most of the stuff Leinster do fine. It's not for me so if it's slightly dumbed down then grand. The magazine style show they did monthly last year was good.
'The Academy' was good too and they get huge numbers.

However, this sort of shyte gets on my goat: https://www.facebook.com/leinsterrugby/ ... 568065240/
Who thought it was a good idea to have player's commenting on another sport?! They had one for the Premiership too. What's the relevance of this?
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I haven't been on the website in years, I would say, and forgot it existed until this thread. I don't have Twitter or Instagram but do follow Leinster on Facebook. As long as I see the games (or highlights) and their FB page provides basic info like team news, injuries, new contracts or signings, without me even having to click on the article, then I'm happy. Sad, really, but I don't offer anything back.

I see those videos Leinster post on Facebook, such as the one around the time of the US presidential election. Asking players who they would vote for squad president. I never watch any of that stuff. Some people like it, I just don't care for it.

I know some of you guys like the site because it provides stats on playing minutes etc
Leinster Branch
Beginner

Post by Leinster Branch »

Dave Cahill wrote: John gives the example where he can only see the next fixture or two - I would say that thats probably what the majority of visitors to the site want - info about the next fixture, maybe the top news story - they are classic 'two clicks and out' users.

Exactly. Vast majority want to know about the next game, what channel it's on, and can they buy tickets.

If you want to see fixtures on a more condensed page, go here: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/fixtures-an ... d-results/
Leinster Branch
Beginner

johng wrote:My unscientific nose tells me that this site and the few others I see have a fraction of the traffic you got 5 years ago. Is this across the board?
Site traffic last season up 62.56% compared to season 2011/12 (which was a pretty good year). Pages per session and session duration also up significantly. So much so in fact that, if I told you, you'd think I was having you on :wink:
Leinster Branch
Beginner

goreyguy wrote:The vast majority of content they put out on social media streams is useless shite.
:shock:

Open to suggestions!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Leinster Branch wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: John gives the example where he can only see the next fixture or two - I would say that thats probably what the majority of visitors to the site want - info about the next fixture, maybe the top news story - they are classic 'two clicks and out' users.

Exactly. Vast majority want to know about the next game, what channel it's on, and can they buy tickets.

If you want to see fixtures on a more condensed page, go here: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/fixtures-an ... d-results/
That's better. Not as good as it was but good enough. Thanks for taking an interest in educating us in the use of the site. I had presumed that link would give me historic fixtures.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Leinster Branch wrote:
johng wrote:My unscientific nose tells me that this site and the few others I see have a fraction of the traffic you got 5 years ago. Is this across the board?
Site traffic last season up 62.56% compared to season 2011/12 (which was a pretty good year). Pages per session and session duration also up significantly. So much so in fact that, if I told you, you'd think I was having you on :wink:
Sorry. When I said this site I meant forum.leinsterfans.com and fan forum sites in general. I wasn't very clear there.

Good that you are getting more hits though. And I do understand that your site is not run for the benefit of me or those of a like mind
Leinster Branch
Beginner

johng wrote:
Leinster Branch wrote:

That's better. Not as good as it was but good enough. Thanks for taking an interest in educating us in the use of the site. I had presumed that link would give me historic fixtures.
Should do that as well.

That page is still being worked on, by the way. Has to be styled and the menu needs to be changed. But it's getting there.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Leinster Branch wrote:
Should do that as well.

That page is still being worked on, by the way. Has to be styled and the menu needs to be changed. But it's getting there.
Good stuff. Are you going to reinstate the link to the olsc fixtures pdf also?

used to be at.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/files/downl ... 016-17.pdf
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Imagine if the site covered things like players playing AIL rugby or the leinster players away with Ireland 7's or Irish u20's.

Like Munster do.
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/23471.php#.WC25uTX004U
Leinster Branch
Beginner

johng wrote:
Leinster Branch wrote:
Sorry. When I said this site I meant forum.leinsterfans.com and fan forum sites in general. I wasn't very clear there.

Good that you are getting more hits though. And I do understand that your site is not run for the benefit of me or those of a like mind
Ah, apologies! Some free stats there for you anyway!

It's difficult to produce something that's going to please all of the people all of the time. But everything we do, and have done on the new site, is based on feedback from supporters that visit leinsterrugby.ie. That being said, no site is ever 'done' - always a work in progress!
Leinster Branch
Beginner

johng wrote:
Leinster Branch wrote:
Should do that as well.

Good stuff. Are you going to reinstate the link to the olsc fixtures pdf also?

used to be at.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/files/downl ... 016-17.pdf
Sorry! Have been sitting on that page since last week.

Here you go: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/supporters/olsc-fixtures/
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Great thanks
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:
Leinster Branch wrote:

John if you want to reduce the list of games a little bit further here a workaround - its not ideal but it might keep you going until the page is fixed. When you go onto the "All Fixtures and Results" page you'll see it brings up a list of every game played this season (including Leinster A, U20s, U 19s, U18s, U18 Girls and Schools). The top option should be 'Senior Team' and this is currently being worked on but in the meantime if you select any of the other options, wait till it loads and then reselect Leinster Rugby it will bring you up just the senior team's fixtures/results.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yes I spotted that straight away
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

most of the academy profiles are broken and Will Connors doesn't have one at all.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

have only used it once or twice on mobile and the site/fixture list look and work pretty good on that platform
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:have only used it once or twice on mobile and the site/fixture list look and work pretty good on that platform
Really? You didn't find it slow and jerky?

I have also found that munster's website is one of the few that give you a full league table.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/league_tables.php

I tried irish rugby. The pro 12 site. The Irish Times. Leinster's was the least informative.