New Leinster Rugby website

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: New Leinster Rugby website

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:
BlueWheels wrote:Don't like the way the fixture is now displayed but one thing I did notice when looking at it is that we are away in Galway on Good Friday night .............. Anyone know of a Galway bar that opens on a Good Friday????
No we're not. The fixtures after round 13 in Jan have not been set yet. We are in Galway on Easter weekend is all.
Fixtures for Rounds 20 and 22 are already fixed.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

johng wrote:
BlueWheels wrote:Don't like the way the fixture is now displayed but one thing I did notice when looking at it is that we are away in Galway on Good Friday night .............. Anyone know of a Galway bar that opens on a Good Friday????
No we're not. The fixtures after round 13 in Jan have not been set yet. We are in Galway on Easter weekend is all.

Wrong!!! we are playing on Good Friday with a 19.35 start and the game is live on TG4 .....

Maybe you'd like to check it out for yourself http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/fixtures-and-results/
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

BlueWheels wrote:
johng wrote:

Wrong!!! we are playing on Good Friday with a 19.35 start and the game is live on TG4 .....

Maybe you'd like to check it out for yourself http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/fixtures-and-results/
I knew about round 22 but not the Easter one. Fair play.

I wouldn't like to check it out for myself though. I would still be scrolling next Easter on that page..... :)

It's my biggest issue with all these win 8/10 type pages that are all the rage atm. You can't decide how much of your screen these lists take up. Pi$$es me off no end
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I like it.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I cringe when i see it. :lol:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Must be the hypocrisy
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

It's hardly farcical.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I can fit Munster's whole season on a single page. Even on a phone. Including fcking B&I Cup fixtures!

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/result ... xtures.php

Leinster?

If I try really hard I can get 3 fixtures on a page.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/fixtures-an ... nior-team/

:roll:

Must be all the extra info you get on Leinster's website?

Wrong! Zero extra info. Just pure wasted screen space.

Hard to take Munster being better than us. :(
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

johng wrote:I can fit Munster's whole season on a single page. Even on a phone. Including fcking B&I Cup fixtures!

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/result ... xtures.php

Leinster?

If I try really hard I can get 3 fixtures on a page.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/fixtures-an ... nior-team/

:roll:

Must be all the extra info you get on Leinster's website?

Wrong! Zero extra info. Just pure wasted screen space.

Hard to take Munster being better than us. :(
they've been better than leinster when it comes to team coverage online for awhile.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It's a real pet peev of mine, this. It seems any time a website is "upgraded" it becomes less user friendly than its predecessor. Less info, useful info dropped, more conviluted routes to find info, heavier on the juice.
The Pro12 and now the Leinsterrugby site have upgraded this season an I'm finding it difficult to find the enthusiasm to enter them.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The matchday live area is the only part of the pro12 site that is still useful/usable.

Still looking for something on the Leinster site. I've just seen the "team" page :shock:

I think they won the "fit the least info into the most space possible while making it jump around uncomfortably for no good reason" award.

Had to try it on a phone for purely comedic reasons. Breaking new boundaries in speed and usability. Even on wifi. I can't imagine what it would be like at a game.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

A new website is like a christmas tree. First you put up the tree, then you hang all the ornaments and accoutrements off it. The tree on its own isn't particularly impressive, its the decoration that adds value. Very few organisations have the resources to create a tree that is fully decorated with the fairy lights hung and checked and the tinsel and baubles dangled straight out of the box. So its a gradual process once the tree is up.

However, the tree has to be right in the first place. If the framework isn't there, then you can't hang anything off it and no one will want to look at it.

The question is, what is the right tree for Leinster Rugby? I'd go even further - do Leinster actually want or need a tree?

I would suggest that the needs of an extremely small community like this one on lf.com and the needs of the vast majority of people who would interact with the Leinster site are massively different. John gives the example where he can only see the next fixture or two - I would say that thats probably what the majority of visitors to the site want - info about the next fixture, maybe the top news story - they are classic 'two clicks and out' users.

Goreyguy said that "they've been better than leinster when it comes to team coverage online for awhile", that is both accurate and inaccurate. Their website gives more and more indepth information than Leinster's does, certainly, but for a modern business like Leinster, the website is not a primary vector anymore. The business provided website as a communications medium is on its way out. They're community centres where old people go to have a cup of tea and talk about who died recently. Online means Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and whatever is just around the corner - and whilst a lot of the content Leinster put through those channels annoys me somewhat, they are unsurpassed in european rugby at their utilisation.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I was just about to ask you about numbers accessing content on FB and Twitter compared to sites like this one or even official sites.

My unscientific nose tells me that this site and the few others I see have a fraction of the traffic you got 5 years ago. Is this across the board?

I m not anti Facebook but don't find it useful for discussing Rugby. I have a twitter account as it is useful for up to the minute info but I have never "tweeted"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

now that I go lookign for it the shop is hard to find, on a more flippant note theres a shameful lack of mugs
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

The vast majority of content they put out on social media streams is useless shite.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

goreyguy wrote:The vast majority of content they put out on social media streams is useless shite.
Sez you (and a lot of the time I sez so too), but just because we don't like it doesn't mean the vast majority of Leinster supporters don't. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that this site or its posters are representative of the greater Leinster Rugby community - because it isn't and we aren't.
I have Bumbleflex
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
goreyguy wrote:The vast majority of content they put out on social media streams is useless shite.
Sez you (and a lot of the time I sez so too), but just because we don't like it doesn't mean the vast majority of Leinster supporters don't. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that this site or its posters are representative of the greater Leinster Rugby community - because it isn't and we aren't.
I don't make that mistake, doesn't change the fact that it's mostly shite.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

goreyguy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
I don't make that mistake, doesn't change the fact that it's mostly shite.
No, its not a fact that its mostly shite. Its a fact that in your opinion its mostly shite. In my opinion too a lot of it is poorly executed. But that doesn't mean that it is, definitely, shite or poorly executed though. All that matters are the users, the user is God, and judging by the numbers, God is pretty happy.
I have Bumbleflex
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
No, its not a fact that its mostly shite. Its a fact that in your opinion its mostly shite. In my opinion too a lot of it is poorly executed. But that doesn't mean that it is shite or poorly executed though. All that matters are the users, the user is God, and judging by the numbers, God is pretty happy.
appealing to the lowest common denominater.. everything thats wrong with modern society.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:I was just about to ask you about numbers accessing content on FB and Twitter compared to sites like this one or even official sites.

My unscientific nose tells me that this site and the few others I see have a fraction of the traffic you got 5 years ago. Is this across the board?

I m not anti Facebook but don't find it useful for discussing Rugby. I have a twitter account as it is useful for up to the minute info but I have never "tweeted"
Forums have kind of bleed users over the lat few years, not just rugby ones, but in general. Non-transactional website traffic has fallen off a cliff. Nowadays a website is pretty much just a backend contributor to a social media interface
I have Bumbleflex