Newport Gwent Dragons fan in peace

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

RyanRobboNGD

Newport Gwent Dragons fan in peace

Post by RyanRobboNGD »

Hi guys,
To whom it may concern,

My Name is Ryan and I currently work for the Newport Gwent Dragons as a community ambassador. As-well as this, I am studying sports journalism at university. With that in mind, I have been tasked to produce a opposition view article with regards to our away trip to you guys in early December. There were a few questions that I wanted to ask you and I would be grateful if you could answer them so I can compile my article in the coming days.

The questions are:

Where is the best to eat/drink (inside the ground) ?
Where is the best place to eat/drink (outside the ground) ?
What transport is available to/from the ground (trains, bus etc.) ?
Who you think the Dragons danger men are ?
Who are your danger men ?
Do you think you can win ?

I would also be very grateful if you had any photos of the stadium and any action shots taken during a match (doesn't have to be against the Dragons) as I ideally would like a few photos in the article with the information for Dragons supporters

If you feel like you could help in my work, then could you please e-mail responses to RyanRobbo97@gmail.com and I will incorporate your answers into my article. If you would like to be named in the article then please feel free to leave a name on your email and I will make sure that you are given credit for your responses.

Many thanks guys
Lets hope for a great game

Kind regards

Ryan Robinson - NGD community ambassador
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons fan in peace

Post by curates_egg »

RyanRobboNGD wrote:Where is the best to eat/drink (inside the ground) ?
I'm sure some nice people will take the time to respond by email but I want to jump in and rant on this point.
For the Connacht game, I decided to meet mates for a pint in the Laighin Out, before and after.
Usually, I don't drink in the RDS but in pubs nearby when I am over for games, so I hadn't noticed before but was there always Diageo lock-down?
I get that the drink stands will serve whatever the tournament sponsor's pish is (be it Heineken or Diageo) but I was surprised that the supporters bar was also serving the same pish. Why is that?
Is the supporters bar contractually obliged to serve up the same pish of the tournament sponsor or is it a choice?
If it is the former, why on earth is that there? Surely the supporters bar is separate and independent?
If it is the latter, well then I guess it's a choice I'm afraid will influence my choice in the future.
I don't like any of the Diageo products that are on sale on match days - a good Guinness can be ok but not from a plastic cup at a drinks stand.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Heineken isn't Diageo.
You used to be able to get Bulmers in supporters bar too iirc.

I'd say the lack of choice is down to the lack of usage the bar itself gets. Must be tough to supply a bar that might be open once every 2-3 weeks and to know what sales will be like.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

RyanRobboNGD wrote:Hi guys,
To whom it may concern,

My Name is Ryan and I currently work for the Newport Gwent Dragons as a community ambassador. As-well as this, I am studying sports journalism at university. With that in mind, I have been tasked to produce a opposition view article with regards to our away trip to you guys in early December. There were a few questions that I wanted to ask you and I would be grateful if you could answer them so I can compile my article in the coming days.

The questions are:

I would also be very grateful if you had any photos of the stadium and any action shots taken during a match (doesn't have to be against the Dragons) as I ideally would like a few photos in the article with the information for Dragons supporters

If you feel like you could help in my work, then could you please e-mail responses to RyanRobbo97@gmail.com and I will incorporate your answers into my article. If you would like to be named in the article then please feel free to leave a name on your email and I will make sure that you are given credit for your responses.

Many thanks guys

Kind regards

Hi Ryan

1. There are a large number of bars within the RDS. In terms of 'sit-down' vars The Supporters Club bar is the Laighin Out (directions on this page). All are welcome and there are often player events post game in the bar. There is also the Centurian Bar at the Anglesea Road entrance to the ground. There are also multiple Bars under the Grandstand and Anglesea Stands and the old Parade Ring Stables have also been converted into bars. Diageo have exclusive pouring rights for the RDS (Heineken is available on Champions Cup days as they are a sponsor of the tournament).

In terms of food there are a number of concessions on the Anglesea Stand of the ground, with most tastes catered for. I am unfamiliar with the food provision elsewhere in the ground, though I believe theres a similar 'food court' on the grandstand side.

2. Outside the ground you are literally spoilt for choice. Mary Macs, Paddy Cullens, Crowes and (my particular favourite) The Horseshow House stand in a line across the road from the RDS, 5 minutes walk from the ground at most. The Kearney Brothers, Jamie Heaslip and Sean O'Brien have a bar, 'The Bridge' on Ballsbridge Bridge - it's speciality is unpasturised pilsner shipped directly from Pilsen and stored in giant brass tanks. 10 mintues walk away is Donnybrook Village which is home to the famous 'Kielys of Donnybrook' - the spiritual home-boozer of the leinster supporter. You're also not far from the city centre and all the joys it offers. And temple bar. In terms of food, you can get anything you want within 20 minutes walk - chinese, indian, pizza, italian, cal-ital, chipshop, burgers, the whole lot
3. The ground is served by the Lansdowne Road and Sydney Parade stations for suburban rail and the DART - I don't get the bus so I can't answer there. The OLSC have a 'guide to the RDS' available, if you email them at olsc 'at' leinsterrugby they'll send it to you

Hope this helps
I have Bumbleflex
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Ryan,

I'd get in touch with the Leinster branch too if I were you. I'm sure they'll have a really helpful PR person only too happy to help.

I'd agree with Dave's recommendations.

The ground is served by a number of busses from town. Numbers 7, 7a, 8 and quite a few others go through ballsbridge and the 46a goes through Donnybrook. The ground is also severd by Sandymount Dart station and I think its the closest.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote:
To whom it may concern,

The questions are:

Many thanks guys

Kind regards

Hi Ryan

1. There are a large number of bars within the RDS. In terms of 'sit-down' vars The Supporters Club bar is the Laighin Out (directions on this page). All are welcome and there are often player events post game in the bar. There is also the Centurian Bar at the Anglesea Road entrance to the ground. There are also multiple Bars under the Grandstand and Anglesea Stands and the old Parade Ring Stables have also been converted into bars. Diageo have exclusive pouring rights for the RDS (Heineken is available on Champions Cup days as they are a sponsor of the tournament).

In terms of food there are a number of concessions on the Anglesea Stand of the ground, with most tastes catered for. I am unfamiliar with the food provision elsewhere in the ground, though I believe theres a similar 'food court' on the grandstand side.

2. Outside the ground you are literally spoilt for choice. Mary Macs, Paddy Cullens, Crowes and (my particular favourite) The Horseshow House stand in a line across the road from the RDS, 5 minutes walk from the ground at most. The Kearney Brothers, Jamie Heaslip and Sean O'Brien have a bar, 'The Bridge' on Ballsbridge Bridge - it's speciality is unpasturised pilsner shipped directly from Pilsen and stored in giant brass tanks. 10 mintues walk away is Donnybrook Village which is home to the famous 'Kielys of Donnybrook' - the spiritual home-boozer of the leinster supporter. You're also not far from the city centre and all the joys it offers. And temple bar. In terms of food, you can get anything you want within 20 minutes walk - chinese, indian, pizza, italian, cal-ital, chipshop, burgers, the whole lot
3. The ground is served by the Lansdowne Road and Sydney Parade stations for suburban rail and the DART - I don't get the bus so I can't answer there. The OLSC have a 'guide to the RDS' available, if you email them at olsc 'at' leinsterrugby they'll send it to you

Hope this helps
Cant believe ye didn't mention the Embassy Grill. Literally a well hit 3-Wood from the stadium. After a rake of pints......nom,nom,nom,,,,,,,,,
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:Heineken isn't Diageo.
You used to be able to get Bulmers in supporters bar too iirc.

I'd say the lack of choice is down to the lack of usage the bar itself gets. Must be tough to supply a bar that might be open once every 2-3 weeks and to know what sales will be like.
I know Heineken isn't Diageo: that's why it is not on sale during Pro12 (Diageo sponsored) games.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The pouring rights and the sponsorship are different issues. You couldn't get Heineken at Magners League games either (though you could, of course, get Bulmers)
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:The pouring rights and the sponsorship are different issues. You couldn't get Heineken at Magners League games either (though you could, of course, get Bulmers)
So it is just a coincidence that the taps pour Diageo during Pro12 games and Heineken during Euro ones?

Regardless, my question was more about Laighin Out, and their offer of the same pish in plastic cups (Guinness, Carlsberg and a cider) as the stands around the stadium.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

RyanRobboNGD wrote:Who you think the Dragons danger men are ?
Halam Amos (is he fit?)
Tyler Morgan
RyanRobboNGD wrote:Who are your danger men ?
Not sure how many of our Ireland Internationals we will have. Apparently we have 27 players with Irish Caps since last Saturday.

Anyone who starts v Australia the previous week is unlikely to feature. So Jack McGrath, Tadhg Furlong,
Devin Toner, Jamie Heaslip, Jonny Sexton, Robbie Henshaw, Rob Kearney at a minimum will be missing.

Possibly Sean O'Brien, Garry Ringrose and Josh Van Der Flier too.

Isa Nacewa is always a Danger Man. And he is joined by a lot of young emerging talent in the back line now. To add to the forwards that have come through over the last few years.
RyanRobboNGD wrote:Do you think you can win ?
The last team to beat us in the Pro12 in the RDS were........

That's right the Dragons. 8th of March almost 2 years ago.

We always believe we can win there against anyone. But you guys did the double on us that season.

So you may repeat that feat with our lads missing. We have come a long way since those dark days though....
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:The pouring rights and the sponsorship are different issues. You couldn't get Heineken at Magners League games either (though you could, of course, get Bulmers)
So it is just a coincidence that the taps pour Diageo during Pro12 games and Heineken during Euro ones?

Regardless, my question was more about Laighin Out, and their offer of the same pish in plastic cups (Guinness, Carlsberg and a cider) as the stands around the stadium.
The Laighin Out is in the RDS so it is subject to the same commercial arrangement.

No, its not a coincidence, Diageo have exclusive pouring rights for the RDS but Heineken is available on Champions Cup days as they are a sponsor of the tournament.
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

If you need any more details on food there's this thread...

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... &start=220
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

The Laighin Out is in the RDS so it is subject to the same commercial arrangement.

No, its not a coincidence, Diageo have exclusive pouring rights for the RDS but Heineken is available on Champions Cup days as they are a sponsor of the tournament.

Honest question: how come English clubs serve other beers at Euro cup games then?
I know the two main beer producers in Ireland had a stranglehold on the market for years (far worse than most European countries in terms of legal rights afaik) but surely those days are over?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Interesting tidbit on the beer sponsors. Guinness at least used to (don't know if they still do) buy up a huge amount of ad space in papers etc during Heineken Cup weekends since Heineken would be getting so much attention.

@Ryan, re Leinster's dangermen, there are obviously the well known internationals so I'll highlight a few lesser known players to keep an eye out for, that should be involved. Up front we have Dan Leavy (flanker) who is having a fantastic season, earning him a cap last weekend against Canada. At halfback we have New Zealander Jamison Gibson-Park at scrumhalf, who is looking like an excellent recruit, and 21-year old Joey Carbery at outhalf who was playing in the amateur league back in May, and now has an international cap against NZ under his belt! And in the backline Adam Byrne gets quite a bit of talk on this forum. He's been around the squad for some time now (actually made his debut 4 years ago at 18) but hasn't got much of a chance yet, with only 6 senior caps (and 6 tries!). Here's hoping he gets a run of games.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

...there's a guy called Isa that falls into the danger-men category too.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

There are a good few places around the ground that serve a whole variety of grub. They're all temporary vans but you can get everything from your standard burger and chips to wood fire pizzas. A lot of us tend to have been in the same part of the ground for years so anywhere else is a bit of a mystery to us (or to me at least) but the pizzas on the Angelsea side are decent. And you can't go wrong with curry chips either. There's always at least 1 place offering that.

As for drink I don't tend to buy there. The limited options and high price have meant I've rarely bought a pint in the place the last few years. There's no shortage of options around the area for before and after so it's not an issue, especially if you've a hip flask or something similar for the game itself.

As the lads have said, there's loads of options outside the ground and in easy walking distance. The Horseshow House tends to be a decent bet, but there are several pubs in a row right outside the RDS (from the bridge upwards) so you can't go far wrong. A 10 minute walk away is Donnybrook where there are another couple of pubs including, as Dave mentioned, Kielys which is a big rugby pub. And you're really only a 10 minute walk from places like Baggot St (towards the city centre) where again you'll find loads of pubs including places like Searsons.

For food Ballsbridge has a good few options and most pubs will do some form of grub as well. There's everything from proper sit down Thai places to chippers like the Embassy Grill. Most are visible enough when you're outside the RDS facing all the pubs.

Dave has mentioned the Dart already, which is a light rail system we have running along the coast. If people are coming from the city centre they can get the 4 or the 7 bus from O'Connell St or the side of Trinity College (better to try O'Connell St as they can get fairly packed by the time they get to Trinity). But if people are staying anywhere around the Grafton St area it's actually just a 25-30 minute walk from there and the walk would give people a decent sense of the area from town out.

Amos and Morgan would be the standouts there I'd think, but I haven't seen as much Pro12 rugby outside Leinster I normally would so probably not best placed to say this season.

That depends on who we get back from Irish duty. We'll be missing most of our first choice pack and guys like Sexton and Henshaw as well. That said Dan Leavy has been going very well this season at 6 and 7, Jack Conan at 8 is a powerful carrier and Joey Carbery at 10 has been a bit of a revelation for us. Then there's always Isa Nacewa of course too.

We'll be missing a few but we've shown this season that we can manage that better than we have the last few years. We should still have relatively experienced guys like Michael Bent, Mick McCarthy, Rhys Ruddock and Noel Reid in the squad so it won't be a bunch of kids. Plus guys like Luke McGrath at 9 and Gary Ringrose at 13 will probably be back from Irish duty. You've got to believe you can win your home games as well so I'd hope we can. You guys will have a lot more cohesion with the Anglo-Welsh Cup and the fact you won't be missing a dozen or more players but I'd back our boys given what I've seen from them this season.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

outcast eddie wrote:...there's a guy called Isa that falls into the danger-men category too.
Well, usually anyway.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

To whom it may concern,

The questions are:

Many thanks guys

Kind regards

Result aside did you hopefully enjoy your trip?