Scarlets v Leinster Friday 25/11 k.o. 19:35

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Scarlets v Leinster Friday 25/11 k.o. 19:35

Post by riocard911 »

The best thing about the Scarlet's match is that we won't have to endure people calling for JGP to be installed as our number one scrum half ahead of Luke McGrath anymore, buíochas le Dia!!!!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

artaneboy wrote:
Dexter wrote:Jaysus lads, lets not analyse it to death. IMO the 5-1 result was fair enough, good point for us given the circumstances, good performance by the ref overall.
I agree. We were both unlucky (our mistakes punished to the optimum) and lucky (Scarlets were flaky) but we got a bonus point that keeps us on top of the league; that'll bleeden' do!
To be really greedy, it's a pity that Isa's first conversion attempt went just the wrong side of the post - would have been 2 bps!!
Difficult kick though tbf
Dont Panic!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

riocard911 wrote:The best thing about the Scarlet's match is that we won't have to endure people calling for JGP to be installed as our number one scrum half ahead of Luke McGrath anymore, buíochas le Dia!!!!
On the basis of one mixed performance in an under-strength team? If the shoe were on the other foot, the line of argument would be very much different.
It would be great if both were playing at the tops of their games and making a decision difficult for that reason, rather than other reasons.
On the tops of their games, I think McGrath is possibly a more complete player but, on the basis of this season, I think JGP has played better. He is a different type of 9 though.

On Strauss and Mike Mc, I think both of them have been struggling with repeated head injuries (as well as other injuries) for the past two seasons. I was hoping that Strauss's long break might have helped clear that up. Regardless, it would be great to get them both back to full fitness and form: they have - in different ways - been hugely important players for us. I make it Strauss's 8th season for us; he's only 30.
Last edited by curates_egg on November 26th, 2016, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lots of good performances but not one the team should enjoy. Rickard's handling, normally a strength, cost us a try at each end in first ten minutes. When the Ref warned Isa that we had conceded five penalties in a row after 15 mins (?), we had also had 5 knock-ons in important positions.

Scarlets have an excellent back-row and Davies (Jnr) is a real Pocock-type ground poacher but gets away with blue murder as an assistant tackler who never releases the ball-carrier.

Referee Sean Gallagher was excellent and largely made his own decisions, ignoring the, marginally biased, TMO more than once.

From the top, and without the benefit of any form of replays, my take on our players:

Isa was Isa, aggressive in defence, more aggressive in possession and always aware.
Adam Byrne grows into his physique weekly and more confident in possession
Rory O'L quietly went about his work efficently with 3 nice passes in particular
Noel Reid minded Ross Byrne and his passes were more mature and his tackling good
Barry Daly will have horrors about his Red Card but he was nudged in the back just as he prepared to jump in competition for the ball and didn't react quick enough by holding up his opponent rather than letting him fall to ground. Looked good in possession and defence beforehand.
Ross Byrne got blocked down at a vital moment in fight back but a couple of nice touches if never completely assured in running the game.
JGP didn't have his best game defensively but still is our best passer by a distance. Needed to control play a little more and make his tackles everytime but very glad to have him.
Dooley had a tough day in the scrum against their Saffer tight-head but survived very well. Good with ball in hand but could be even more effective with more ambition.
Strauss needs game time at top level to get back to speed. Good darts and scrum but mis-handling was costly.
McCarthy and Nagle were both excellent in set pieces except mauls. Both are improving through the season and are serious operators.
Dom Ryan was over-shadowed by Dan Leavy, but had a really solid game with excellent tackling and some strong bursts in possession. Needs to regrow confidence.
Leavy was almost superb but a couple of his tackles were not as decisive as he would have liked. He is definitely our best openside flanker and that's a heavy mantle when JvDF & SO'B are also in the frame.
Conan was our outstanding forward IMO. Really strong in possession and dominant in defence. Any other team in Pro12 would be delighted to have him and he will get even better.

So, lots of good developments in our younger players and plenty of appetite among the more experienced but this was a game played with too much enthusiasm and not enough smarts. Scarlets look a decent team that we could see in the Play-offs and we need better judgement as to how to play them and not merely match them shot for shot.

But please, please, let's learn than when we are down a man we don't kick the ball back to opponents. A player short is only evident when the opposition have the ball. McGrath kicked 5 times in last 20 mins and even though we recovered one of them, each decision to kick was wrong.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote:The best thing about the Scarlet's match is that we won't have to endure people calling for JGP to be installed as our number one scrum half ahead of Luke McGrath anymore, buíochas le Dia!!!!
What a bizzare post.
You don't want to 'endure' people calling for a player who's performing better to be our starting 9? :lol:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Looking at the stats from last night, three guys stand out.

Reid had 46 metres from 12 carries.
Tracy had 22 metres from 13 carries (in 36 minutes!)
But most impressively, Jack Conan had 48 metres from 15 carries, to go along with 14 tackles. He was immense last night.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

curates_egg wrote:
On the basis of one mixed performance in an under-strength team? If the shoe were on the other foot, the line of argument would be very much different.
It would be great if both were playing at the tops of their games and making a decision difficult for that reason, rather than other reasons.
On the tops of their games, I think McGrath is possibly a more complete player but, on the basis of this season, I think JGP has played better. He is a different type of 9 though.

On Strauss and Mike Mc, I think both of them have been struggling with repeated head injuries (as well as other injuries) for the past two seasons. I was hoping that Strauss's long break might have helped clear that up. Regardless, it would be great to get them both back to full fitness and form: they have - in different ways - been hugely important players for us. I make it Strauss's 8th season for us; he's only 30.
JGP was woeful, not only woeful but looked dis-interested...he was signed for those type of nights last night, luke McGrath for me all day long
Strauss and Mike Mc wouldn't be playing if they had head issues, all these excuses for players who just haven't performed in a long time, i just don't get why it's not called like it is...Strauss particularly and Maccer have been poor for a good time now....they don't make the squad when we have full team imo

That scarlets team is poor, has been all season and with their squad we had we should be winning over there
No excuses....
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:
What a bizzare post.
You don't want to 'endure' people calling for a player who's performing better to be our starting 9? :lol:
No, that's correct. I like both players, have nothing against either. What did however get my goat, was the bigging up of JPG on his arrival at the expense of McGrath, as if there was a huge difference in their abilities, which to my mind their isn't. It reminded me of children, who as soon as they get a new toy throw the old one, even if it's still perfectly good, in the corner. Nothing against JPG, I just though it it was unfair to McGrath. Maybe I'm overstating the case and perhaps being unfair to people, but that's just the way it came across to me. I hope Luke and Jamison have a long and productive rivalry for the Leinster number 9 shirt similar to what Boss and Reddan had.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

JGP was woeful, not only woeful but looked dis-interested...he was signed for those type of nights last night, luke McGrath for me all day long
Strauss and Mike Mc wouldn't be playing if they had head issues, all these excuses for players who just haven't performed in a long time, i just don't get why it's not called like it is...Strauss particularly and Maccer have been poor for a good time now....they don't make the squad when we have full team imo

That scarlets team is poor, has been all season and with their squad we had we should be winning over there
No excuses....
But you've still got half your beer in that glass!
The Scarlets team may be "poor" but in their last 3 games in the Pro 12 they've beaten Glasgow, Cardiff and us (as well as beating Sale in Europe). They also beat Connacht and haven't lost since away to Ulster in mid-September I think.
So, against that background, and given we were missing 12 or 13 internationals, and that we played half the game with 14 men or less...
I'll have the other half of your beer, if that's ok with you.

Strauss has hardly been "poor for a good time now" as he hasn't played that much over the past two seasons. Both he and Mike Mc have struggled with injuries (including multiple concussions). As said, they have been really great players for us, so I hope for them that they can get back to fitness and form. Strauss has been an unbelievable servant for us and put his body on the line continuously from the minute he arrived. If you have no regard for those two, perhaps you have only recently come to Leinster?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
What a bizzare post.
No, that's correct. I like both players, have nothing against either. What did however get my goat, was the bigging up of JPG on his arrival at the expense of McGrath, as if there was a huge difference in their abilities, which to my mind their isn't. It reminded me of children, who as soon as they get a new toy throw the old one, even if it's still perfectly good, in the corner. Nothing against JPG, I just though it it was unfair to McGrath. Maybe I'm overstating the case and perhaps being unfair to people, but that's just the way it came across to me. I hope Luke and Jamison have a long and productive rivalry for the Leinster number 9 shirt similar to what Boss and Reddan had.
Eh, I think you're slightly misremembering that one! Any examples?

There was praise for McGrath when he was playing well (Ospreys, Munster), and praise for JGP when he was coming on and doing well. It's not a zero sum game, just at times one was playing better than the other. JGP was excellent against Treviso, awful last night.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Huh- you wish! Jamie had an off day in some ways, but his passing was still much superior to Luke's. Remember that one which "died" just as Byrne looked set to pick the Scarlett's defence about 20 mi s from the end? I rest my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gearzbox2 wrote: That scarlets team is poor, has been all season and with their squad we had we should be winning over there
No excuses....

Scarlets have been 'poor all season' eh?
Was that before or after they won their last 5 league games?

Or how about adding in the fact that they have 6 in the Wales squad, we have 11, plus Robbie and Sexton.

Come on man, the performance wasn't great, LBP was lucky but to say 'we should be winning' and 'no excuses' is madness.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

wixfjord wrote:Looking at the stats from last night, three guys stand out.

But most impressively, Jack Conan had 48 metres from 15 carries, to go along with 14 tackles. He was immense last night.
Conan was great last night & Reid solid but Tracys 36 mins was full of carries etc. I think he is now way ahead of Strauss and no 3 hooker for Ireland.

Adam Byrne also doing really well made first try scored second and similarities with Shane Horgan especially in the air which is much needed. Given a good run of games could easily see him force his way into Ireland team.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Didn't see the match (ahem, personal reasons), so nothing to say about it, but Reid and Tracy having fine seasons and glad to hear Conan back in and firing well. Don't know other people's thoughts but I've kind of been hoping to see him moving across to 6, particularly thinking to the future with Deegan being in the academy. Conan is such a good carrier, but to me it's a little similar to munster playing stander at 8. He carries hard and does it well, stats will potentially look good, but I'd take a Heaslip type who has an arguably more rounded game over that as my 8. Deegan is potentially that, just as O'Donoghue is for munster. Conan at 6, Deegan groomed as Heaslip's successor and any of the opensides would be an exciting young backrow for me. Probably last night he demonstrated an absolute full repertoire of skills after me saying this.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:
What a bizzare post.

+1 @wixfjord. Totally agree.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Fan with smartphone wrote:

Didn't see the match (ahem, personal reasons), so nothing to say about it, but Reid and Tracy having fine seasons and glad to hear Conan back in and firing well. Don't know other people's thoughts but I've kind of been hoping to see him moving across to 6, particularly thinking to the future with Deegan being in the academy. Conan is such a good carrier, but to me it's a little similar to munster playing stander at 8. He carries hard and does it well, stats will potentially look good, but I'd take a Heaslip type who has an arguably more rounded game over that as my 8. Deegan is potentially that, just as O'Donoghue is for munster. Conan at 6, Deegan groomed as Heaslip's successor and any of the opensides would be an exciting young backrow for me. Probably last night he demonstrated an absolute full repertoire of skills after me saying this.
Deegan is potential, but only that at this point. Three or four more games at this level and Conan will be a No 8 of real quality. No way we should switch him anywhere. Heaslip, Stander, Muldoon are the top three and then O'Donoghue, Conan, Copeland and McKeon. Ulster have nobody at the races but each of the other Provinces are in good shape.

Timmons is the guy who just be re-directed somewhere. For me, that should be to No 2, but I fear that Lucifora may ensure he gets a Contract offer from Ulster.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

On Strauss and Mike Mc, I think both of them have been struggling with repeated head injuries (as well as other injuries) for the past two seasons. I was hoping that Strauss's long break might have helped clear that up. Regardless, it would be great to get them both back to full fitness and form: they have - in different ways - been hugely important players for us. I make it Strauss's 8th season for us; he's only 30.[/quote]

No excuses....[/quote]

But you've still got half your beer in that glass!
The Scarlets team may be "poor" but in their last 3 games in the Pro 12 they've beaten Glasgow, Cardiff and us (as well as beating Sale in Europe). They also beat Connacht and haven't lost since away to Ulster in mid-September I think.
So, against that background, and given we were missing 12 or 13 internationals, and that we played half the game with 14 men or less...
I'll have the other half of your beer, if that's ok with you.

Strauss has hardly been "poor for a good time now" as he hasn't played that much over the past two seasons. Both he and Mike Mc have struggled with injuries (including multiple concussions). As said, they have been really great players for us, so I hope for them that they can get back to fitness and form. Strauss has been an unbelievable servant for us and put his body on the line continuously from the minute he arrived. If you have no regard for those two, perhaps you have only recently come to Leinster?[/quote]

Our team last night was peppered with internationals and despite missing the internationals I fully believe we had the depth and quality to beat that scarlets team when they are missing their internationals...they don't have the strength and depth we have
Yes I'm afraid Strauss has been poor for awhile,between injuries and just playing poorly, whatever about Maccer, Strauss has been...give me Cronin/Tracy all day long....and no I haven't "come" to leinster recently
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Think we are getting the best of both worlds with the 2 lads. That level of competition and difference In skillset really compliments the squad depth.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
coolbawn
Beginner

Post by coolbawn »

Always interesting to see what the opposing fans say - if anything, of course - about Leinster players. Several people were impressed by Adam Byrne, one mentioned Isa ("class but plays on the edge") and one approved of Leavy. The only player's name they knew was Nacewa. A lot were impressed by Beirne too - he seems to have played consistently well when given a chance.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

artaneboy wrote:
Huh- you wish! Jamie had an off day in some ways, but his passing was still much superior to Luke's. Remember that one which "died" just as Byrne looked set to pick the Scarlett's defence about 20 mi s from the end? I rest my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the kind of thing that really gets on my wick when people criticise Luke. Yeah he had that bad pass, but JGP threw two horrible passes in the first few minutes and you've completely ignored them and come to the conclusion that JGP's passing was better last night.

And it's Jamison, not jamie.