Leinster v Dragons Sat 3rd Dec at 19.35 pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Dragons Sat 3rd Dec at 19.35 pm

Post by wixfjord »

carlow man wrote:He just looks a a sped up of version of rob kearney. Runs straight into opposite player. Also one of the thickest players to play for leinster for quite some time. To think we kept him and let kelleher leave is mind boggling. Dragons better team second half. Better sort line out out or it could be a long evening next Friday. Let's hope cronin hits his man as Tracy and Strauss are awful with their throwing.
Ah stop, RK is a top notch FB. Kirchner isn't near him.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Charlie Rock looked impressive when he came on. Slick passer.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

cormac wrote:That got very sloppy after a good opening 20 minutes. Still, five points in the bag.
Dare I say it but we "bombed" a bit in the second half.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Our skill levels dropped significantly with the substitutions while theirs improved, certainly with their scrum half.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Isa playing with Richardt's hands did not help tonight.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

neiliog93 wrote:Dreadful second half display against inept opposition, no other way to say it. Some strong individual performances (Conan, Leavy, Carberry, A.Byrne) but the standard really dropped, on everything from set-piece function to individual skills. Bonus point win, we'll take it.
+1
Totally concur with that assessment. Have never previously felt like asking for a 25% refund on way out, but the substitutions made the last 20 mins a joke and instead of Leinster closing that 60 points differential with Munster and Ospreys, we pi*#ed away the last 20 minutes like a kids picnic.

Have no interest in debuts unless the players coming in add something to the team at the time. Tonight, very few, if any, added anything with their arrival.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

In the last three games, Jack Conan has averaged 12 carries, 52 yards, 3.3 def beaten, 1.5 clean breaks and 12 tackles per game!

And he's missed one tackle in total.

Mental stats.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Having spat out my dummy about subs, time to wax lyrical about Rory O'Loughlin and to a lesser extent Jeremy Loughman. O'Loughlin, outside Carbery but not Byrne, looked excellent in attack and defence. If all his colleagues had been as alert and precise our 8 first-half visits to their 22 would have yielded at least six tries.

Loughman has switched from Loose to Tight Head over the past 15 /18 months. A hard ask for a 22 year-old but tonight looked like good progress, not dominant but well survived. He has lots of good habits in broken play and will be a good Squad addition if he can survive at THP.

Conan, Carbery and Leavy were top notch, not error free but oozing skills. Molony, McGrath and Ruddock lacked nothing in effort but not as much stardust.

Zane, Isa and Treacy had horrors with almost nothing working for even one of the three. Dooley and Adam Byrne had excellent first half but many mistakes thereafter.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I thought Loughman was good in open play, but was eaten in the scrum. Under pressure all night and gave away 2 (3?) pens directly.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Kearney used to be a top notch full back but not anymore. U must be watching a different player. Over the past 3 years he has been in poor form. Shame you haven't seen what most other people have.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote:I thought Loughman was good in open play, but was eaten in the scrum. Under pressure all night and gave away 2 (3?) pens directly.
Yep. Hopefully whatever caused Bent to miss tonight's game isn't serious and he'll be available for the next few weeks. Loughman's scrummaging still needs a lot of improvement.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Lots of positives....lots of negatives sadly aswel
First 40 was good stuff, Maloney and Conan pick of the forwards for me along with McGrath/Carberry in the backs
Line out stunk as did the scrum throughout
Natural enough for the game to fizzle out but the subs had no impact which was surprising
Delighted to see Trigger back in the RDS and I thought he had solid outing
Tracy, Zane and (as much as I hate to say it) Isa had games to forget really
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Might be a good idea to retain Tracy over Cronin for the Northampton game for the sake of continuity
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Don't think Tracy will make next weeks squad
I reckon Cronin/Strauss will be at 2/16
Conan could edge Rhys for bench spot with BR of Seanie, Josh and Jamie
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Don't think Tracy will make next weeks squad
Not so sure about Strauss - I thought he took a knock just before the final whistle and with his history of head injuries .....
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Whoever we select in front-row needs to be in the whole of their health as Saints did a number on Leicester front-row a couple of times and that was without Hartley. Expect a big contest up front and Leinster trying to play with real tempo.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Xanthippe wrote:
Gearzbox2 wrote:Don't think Tracy will make next weeks squad
Not so sure about Strauss - I thought he took a knock just before the final whistle and with his history of head injuries .....
Yeah- and in any case Strauss was hardly any better at the darts than Tracey. No reason to promote him really.

I'm assuming the line out woes were a collective "systems failure" based on the new pairings; but still very frustrating to see this weakness emerge relatively consistently seemingly whenever there's a new group on the field. Rarely as bad as today- but regularly enough to be more than irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Agree completely with the consensus here, the second half and in particular the last 20 were really poor.

Conan, Leavy and Carbery all excellent. Carbery will be some player, he has so much time on the ball. And there's only two 'r's in his surname, people!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Zane Kirchner. 31 times capped South African full back, 2 time Super Rugby winner and he has a Currie Cup medal too. 70 appearances for Leinster.

In a game like that, with so many internationals out, it is not unreasonable to expect a man of Kirchner's experience to really stand out, like Nacewa almost always does. Leinster were playing a poor team, and Leinster themselves were poor for at least 30 mins of the game. The only time Kirchner stood out was when he made an error. Leinster are paying Kirchner to wear a jersey and make sure we have the required 15 men starting the game. That's it. He's not contributing anything else. So whatever they're paying him, they're being ripped off. Give that jersey to someone else.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Terrible last 30 mins from Leinster. Horrible crowd too. A lot of people, including me, don't wanna pay outlandish fees to watch such cr@p. A 6 pack from Lidl and some chicken wings in the oven.