Leinster v Northampton - Aviva 19:45 Saturday 17th

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Northampton - Aviva 19:45 Saturday 17th

Post by Laighin Break »

FLIP wrote:Furlong showed some seriously power for his try. Had 3 people holding him just short and he had the strength to burst that little bit more.
Pretty much every time Furlong had the ball I took 3 players to get him down.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

hugonaut wrote: Renting out Lansdowne Road costs a fortune and the marketing to sell sufficient tickets to justify it takes a lot of time, energy and money.
I have heard it said that LR costs less than the RDS because the IRFU own it. Yes there are more staff costs but....

And that's why they availed of the option to use it for 2 games per year when the Italian teams joined. (Deal with RDS was based on the number of games per year pre Italian involvement)

When you consider the price of tickets there and the extra 20000 + who show up......
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

molloyjh wrote:Disappointing as it was we still had 50% more at this game than the next highest attendance in the competition to date. Munster have sold out Thomond twice (25,600) and helped get Welford Rd up to 24,213 on Saturday while Bordeaux have managed just over 21,000 twice now. Once against Ulster and the other against Exeter. No other game has hit 20,000. So most teams haven't managed to bring in as many fans at home in 2 games that we brought in on Saturday, and very few games have sold out AFAIK.
Very true. It makes sense on a number of levels - the extra revenue it brings in, for the fact that the people who come aren't always regular match goers and experiences like these give kids and adults alike a taste of rugby (and convince kids to get out on the rugby pitch) and we sell merchandise.

That being said, they need to look at the way TV operates. NOBODY I have spoken to is happy with the BT/SKY deal and most have already or are considering ditching both given the cost vs benefit. Kick off times like these are crazy. You knock 5k off the attendance which not only damages club and competition revenue but also damages the spectacle and the value of the spectacle - a sponsor is way less likely to want their brand associated with an event at a half empty stadium for example.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

curates_egg wrote:
Anyone on this board goes there to see Leinster. It is not us that gets Leinster the extra money. It is those non "fans" who are interested in rugby and might fancy a day out.
They go for the spectacle and event as much as anything and this was a damp squib.
Check out the "letter" at the end of Wardie's article (in which he describes Henrose as already being a comparable replacement for Darcoll):
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 07343.html
All the giving out in the press about this weakend team we played against is pretty annoying. Their 1st XV got thumped at home so what's to say they wouldn't have also been thumped at the Aviva too? It was a bad day out for them but we had a similar day out in Coventry last season. I don't think Northampton gave up, they were pushing our line right at the end. I'd happily pay €33 to go and see Leinster put 60 points on any team. It just seems unfair that there is very little credit going to Leinster for actually putting 60 points on the board, something they rarely ever do.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

johng wrote:
hugonaut wrote: Renting out Lansdowne Road costs a fortune and the marketing to sell sufficient tickets to justify it takes a lot of time, energy and money.
I have heard it said that LR costs less than the RDS because the IRFU own it. Yes there are more staff costs but....

And that's why they availed of the option to use it for 2 games per year when the Italian teams joined. (Deal with RDS was based on the number of games per year pre Italian involvement)

When you consider the price of tickets there and the extra 20000 + who show up......
Apparently it costs in the region of 150-200k to open it's doors to a game. And the IRFU don't foot that. There may be grants etc but a large part of the bill is Leinsters.

Apparently Dundalk made money off the fixtures they had in there though...
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Edna Kenny wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Anyone on this board goes there to see Leinster. It is not us that gets Leinster the extra money. It is those non "fans" who are interested in rugby and might fancy a day out.
They go for the spectacle and event as much as anything and this was a damp squib.
Check out the "letter" at the end of Wardie's article (in which he describes Henrose as already being a comparable replacement for Darcoll):
All the giving out in the press about this weakend team we played against is pretty annoying. Their 1st XV got thumped at home so what's to say they wouldn't have also been thumped at the Aviva too? It was a bad day out for them but we had a similar day out in Coventry last season. I don't think Northampton gave up, they were pushing our line right at the end. I'd happily pay €33 to go and see Leinster put 60 points on any team. It just seems unfair that there is very little credit going to Leinster for actually putting 60 points on the board, something they rarely ever do.
Agree totally! Some people aren't happy if they can't find a fly in the ointment!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
And Dundalk aren't owned by the IRFU
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

riocard911 wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Agree totally! Some people aren't happy if they can't find a fly in the ointment!!!
It's an Irish thing. We lose, it's because the other team are "really good". We win, it's because the other team are "really bad".
Dont Panic!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dexter wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:All the giving out in the press about this weakend team we played against is pretty annoying. Their 1st XV got thumped at home so what's to say they wouldn't have also been thumped at the Aviva too? It was a bad day out for them but we had a similar day out in Coventry last season. I don't think Northampton gave up, they were pushing our line right at the end. I'd happily pay €33 to go and see Leinster put 60 points on any team. It just seems unfair that there is very little credit going to Leinster for actually putting 60 points on the board, something they rarely ever do.
It's an Irish thing. We lose, it's because the other team are "really good". We win, it's because the other team are "really bad".
I think you are collectively missing the point. We - as hardcore Leinster fans - appreciate our win; realise Northampton put out a decent side; think putting 60 points on them is a major achievement.
The average punter, who is interested in rugby and might or might not be tempted to pay to go to a Leinster game once a year, doesn't give a hoot though. It is that crowd that we are trying to tap for these Landsdowne Road games. It is also logical that they will be disappointed when, having shelled out a hundred yoyos for the cheapest possible seats, Northampton rest all their internationals. I think it is fair enough that those people would be "disappointed" with their "value for money".
That is what we are dealing with here http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 07343.html
It will be the same in Thomond Park this weekend if all the internationals are rested. And, I guess in a consumer context, fair enough.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

johng wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:
But the would be subject to the same bill for opening the stadium
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
johng wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:
You sure?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Bit late with the post but game was a blow out...can't complain, job done move on
Disgusted to hear Cummiskey bitch and complain about Northampton selection and how leinster learned nothing bla bla bla
I look at it that we stuck the knife in then in franklins gardens and broke tbeir spirit for return in Dublin...simple as

Back to the game, thought pack again drove us on with JVDF outststanding and my MOTM to be honest followed by Cronin( his run in the second half was the highlight) https://grabyo.com/g/v/VvbNl8bS3HI Furlong and SOB
Ross Byrne decent along with Ringer and Adam B
Interesting to see selection for Munster with internationals due to be rested????
Think it might be a good idea to bring Tracy in against Munster. He was very strong off the bench
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:
johng wrote:And Dundalk aren't owned by the IRFU
You sure?
They'd get the FAI rate, I.e. the owners discount
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

johng wrote:You sure?
Someone has to pay the bill.

I am sure there are discounts involved from the owners but there is no way the IRFU lets Leinster use it for free just like there's no way the FAI let Dundalk use it for free just like neither of them let Buble use it for free :lol:

You'd have to sell 20k tickets at €30 a pop to comfortably break even however. Hardly an unbelievable target
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

I am sure there are discounts involved from the owners but there is no way the IRFU lets Leinster use it for free just like there's no way the FAI let Dundalk use it for free just like neither of them let Buble use it for free :lol:

You'd have to sell 20k tickets at €30 a pop to comfortably break even however. Hardly an unbelievable target
And if it's at an easier time they get a few k more.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

And if it's at an easier time they get a few k more.
Dundalk are not a wholly owned subsidiary of the FAI though.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

While were on the subject.... Have the groundsmen in Lansdowne Road been on strike for a couple of months? I thought the state of the pitch was an absolute disgrace!!!! And we're paying for that? If it were me, I'd be asking for a partial refund!!!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

riocard911 wrote:While were on the subject.... Have the groundsmen in Lansdowne Road been on strike for a couple of months? I thought the state of the pitch was an absolute disgrace!!!! And we're paying for that? If it were me, I'd be asking for a partial refund!!!
To me the patterns looked like the might have been made by the artificial sunlight machines

I would say a combination of a busy Autumn/ Winter with football and rugby, and the fact it's been cold. Depending on the source you read, the soil needs to be at least 6 degrees for grass to grow.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

A full Aviva Stadium is worth over €3 million to Leinster Rugby
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Aviva Ltd charge Leinster €450k to use the place and then some for erection of Leinster & EPCR advertisers. Costs about €515k to open the gates, so 20k x €30 a pop is a reasonable guesstimate. However, when you're only pushing at 40k, the average also falls because of special group deals in One Leinster etc. At 38.5k, I estimate about €28 average is a long way short of €3m. Munster may net more on Stephens Day in TP.