Leinster v Northampton - Aviva 19:45 Saturday 17th

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Leinster v Northampton - Aviva 19:45 Saturday 17th

Post by Oldschool »

Contrary to popular misconception, Lightning does strike twice in the same place, quite frequently more than twice and there are good reasons for it.
Leinster must make sure that lightning doesn't hit the Aviva again, next week.
Leinsterforever, who is knowledgeable about such matters, suggested a backline of -
15. Nacewa, 14. Byrne, 13. Ringrose, 12. Henshaw, 11. Daly, 10. Byrne, 9. McGrath; 23. O'Loughlin, 22. Reid, 21. Gibson-Park for next week?
The only variation I could see in that is Kirchner in at 15 and Daly losing out.
Lancaster and Cullen have been prepared to gamble on youth so far this season and it has paid off but the clincher might simply be the need for the kind of experience that Kirchner (on a good day - that's the other gamble) can provide.
Hartley took both himself and SOB out of next week's game, we are the losers in that arrangement.
As for the forwards, will it be rotation or same again.
My recommendations
As is, except for SOB's replacement. Leavy as a straight swop.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Northampton - Aviva 19:45 Saturday 17th

Post by leinsterforever »

O'Loughlin continuing on the wing would be another possibility
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'd probably bring add a lock on the bench

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Good to hear the guys last night talking about not falling into the trap we fell into last time we dished out a whuppin in Franklin's Gardens.
They'll be better next week with Brookes and Clark back, and Harrison probably starting too.

Still, anything other than a win would be a huge setback for us.

Team I'd like to see:
Healy (deserves a start), Cronin, Furlong, Mike Mac, Toner, SOB/Rhys, JVDF, Heaslip, McGrath, Carbery/Byrne, A Byrne, Henshaw, Ringrose, Isa, RK/ZK.
McGrath, Tracy, Bent, Triggs, Rhys/Conan, JGP, Reid/Byrne, ROL

Don't think ZK deserves to start, and ROL definitely doesn't deserve to be dropped, but for me he's not a winger, and ZK slots in to 15.
Reid might be injured, but would be a handy guy to have on bench if Carbery is out.
For me, I'd take SOB and RK being out if it meant Carbery was fit.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

A Byrne struggled yesterday. Silly knock-on aside, he was caught out a few times, seemed slow to turn and could easily be targeted this coming weekend. He needs a big game this weekend.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Last time the glameplan for the return leg was supercalafragalisticexpialatrocious. Lightning will not strike twice.
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Logorrhea wrote:A Byrne struggled yesterday. Silly knock-on aside, he was caught out a few times, seemed slow to turn and could easily be targeted this coming weekend. He needs a big game this weekend.
In his second European start, he does not 'need a big game'.
He needs to show that he's worked his ass of this week and can implement some improvements.
Bear in mind he's outside ringrose and doesn't have bod helping him positionally.

We clamor for lads to be given a go and then toss em aside after one game when they weren't perfect.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He didn't actually play that poorly at all - he carried well and hard and sucked in defenders each time. Leinster leave a lot of space in behind, its just a function of the way we defend.
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

While we all remember the last back to back games v saints and how they turned us over in the Aviva after we demolished them in the gardens. Lets not forget that a year earlier they got whacked by Ulster at home and then went on to win up in Ravers the following week. They wont be defeatist this week and they will turn up next weekend ready for the fight, we gots to be ready.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:While we all remember the last back to back games v saints and how they turned us over in the Aviva after we demolished them in the gardens. Lets not forget that a year earlier they got whacked by Ulster at home and then went on to win up in Ravers the following week. They wont be defeatist this week and they will turn up next weekend ready for the fight, we gots to be ready.
Absolutely. English clubs, particularly great clubs like Saints, don't do throwing in the towel. They might be good, they might be bad, but there will be an honesty of effort from them - at least the sane players anyways.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I reckon Hartley having disqualified himself for the return fixture gives us the edge. He was absolutely massive the last time in Lansdowne Road. I know he's a gurrier, but on that particular occasion his pig-headedness with numerous decisions against kicking penalties for points and instead going into the corner to bash us up and regain their honour was seriously impressive. And it worked. They will be hoping for a repeat. But it ain't gonna happen, IMO.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Totally agree with these views. This is precisely the circumstance where the traditional English resiliance will demonstrate itself. Jim Mallinder is a fine Coach and hasn't lost his ability during the last 6 weeks. Long-term Saints like Wood, Lawes, the Waller brothers and more recent arrivals like Patterson and Picamoles will want to repair the damage caused to the Club's reputation as well as their own pride.

Beware the wounded opponent. Saints are a Club of class and deep pride. Write them off at your peril.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Totally agree with these views. This is precisely the circumstance where the traditional English resiliance will demonstrate itself. Jim Mallinder is a fine Coach and hasn't lost his ability during the last 6 weeks. Long-term Saints like Wood, Lawes, the Waller brothers and more recent arrivals like Patterson and Picamoles will want to repair the damage caused to the Club's reputation as well as their own pride.

Beware the wounded opponent. Saints are a Club of class and deep pride. Write them off at your peril.
Yeah, I honestly thought they would be much much better than they were on Friday. Before they went to 14, their backline was getting around the corner out wide and their lineout was holding its own or better.

But the pack was a bit of a shambles all game. I don't know if wounded pride will be enough to paper over the cracks in their scrum, maul, offensive breakdown and tackling. We obviously need to prepare like there'll be a big backlash. I see others on here pushing for Healy to start. I think it would be crazy to mess with the front row that demolished theirs. If there's any way to crush a rebellion at the weekend, it's to send Jack, Sean and Tadhg in to declare martial law in the set piece.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think the difference (other than our coach) is Saints have excuse of sending off/cards so they werent nakedly humiliated to the same extent

Plus they dont have as many upgrades in terms of bulk in the pack as last time

Citing news may disrupt them more too. Mallinder is good but they are trying to replace him
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:For me, I'd take SOB and RK being out if it meant Carbery was fit.
That makes sense but I think you'll be disappointed. His demeanour after the match (rather than the moon boot and crutches) suggested it is not just a standard ankle roll. Such a pity if true.
We looked to have based our entire gameplan around quick game ball and him attacking the line and releasing line breaks. It wasn't until about 50 minutes until we finally looked to settle into a plan b.

It does beg the Sexton question. If he is not injured, we need him. Are you all categorically ruling him out because of something you know?
What is the point of us having him if he is fit and not allowed to play in games like this? If he really is now just to be an Irish player - who Leinster have to keep fit - can we please be allowed to sign a back-up 10, who will not be away on Ireland duty?

I'd say SOB will be ok. Kearney was nowhere to be seen after the game, which doesn't bode well but we can replace him more easily.

On the rest of the team: McCarthy will start and I wouldn't be surprised to see Nagle on the bench. I think you're right that Healy deserves a start. The other questions are who starts at fullback and 9. If we start Kirchner there, then O'Loughlin misses out; I thought he did well out of position but he looked out of position. I'd say JGP was originally penciled in for this leg but think McGrath will start if either Sexton or Byrne are 10.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

According to Leo, it's more likely Sexton will be back for the Xmas interpros rather than for this. All the mood music around him and Carbery doesn't sound good for next weekend.

North is out for this also.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

After his sterling performance on Friday, I'd be confident Ross Byrne, behind what is likely to be a dominant pack, can do the necessaries for us this coming Saturday.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

As for Byrne, he looked a bit wobbly after that head clash. I'm not surprised they didn't take him off for a HIA as we would then risk having no outhalves left for this weekend. McGrath was ready to come on but I am sure someone did a quick calculation and figured we were goosed if Byrne came off and failed a HIA.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

curates_egg wrote:As for Byrne, he looked a bit wobbly after that head clash. I'm not surprised they didn't take him off for a HIA as we would then risk having no outhalves left for this weekend. McGrath was ready to come on but I am sure someone did a quick calculation and figured we were goosed if Byrne came off and failed a HIA.
"bit wobbly"? Unsteady on the feet, that's for sure!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Just to clarify.
Hartley is out of the next game due to his red card, right? Auto suspension?
When will his hearing be?
Can he get some really, really nice buiscuits in the Northampton area to give to the adjudicating panel?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!