Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Outhalf crisis

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:He was an amateur at the time
so was a chunk of the Argie national team for that period
Sort of - the UAR were, to all intents and purposes, running two national teams - one, mainly based in Europe made up of professional players that played other Tier One nations and in the RWC, and a second, based out of Argentina made up of locally based amateur players that played in and against SAR, RAN, etc. tournaments and countries.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:He was an amateur at the time
so was a chunk of the Argie national team for that period
Sort of - the UAR were, to all intents and purposes, running two national teams - one, mainly based in Europe made up of professional players that played other Tier One nations and in the RWC, and a second, based out of Argentina made up of locally based amateur players that played in and against SAR, RAN, etc. tournaments and countries.
Yes, which is why there was talk of adding Argentina to the 6N and why they improved so much at RWC time with a summer to come together.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Wonking on medical jokers passed aside, it has now been a whole month in which we have had just one fit outhalf. His first performance of the month settled the nerves but his last two have been dodgy. It's only to be expected as he's clearly still learning: his kicking vs Munster and some of his pass selection yesterday was really odd (and bad).
I'm sure we'll be led to believe Johnny will be back this week again; this time I might actually believe it. I really hope he is and he comes through his 60 minutes fit.
Whatever outhalf starts against Montpellier will not get an armchair ride; I'm not convinced Byrne is up to that task based on what I've seen this month. Clearly has lots of potential though.
Hopefully we come through the next three games with our season still on track. Either way, it's frustrating in the extreme the IRFU operate such double standards.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

not to derail the thread but they now are bravely only picking Sh or even Arg based guys but badly need at least a second Super Rugby team, must be odd/confusing for exact same set of players to suddenly change calls/camps/coaches halfway through the season a couple of times

:idea:

Contepomi for unlikely return as literally a medical joker
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There's been a lot of promise from Byrne. Even against Ulster he was physical and looked decent at times. He put ROL through for his try and setup the other off a grubber.

There have been really solid kicks as well as the usual weak ones. Even when he got lost in the backline that time, he held the ball and didn't throw an intercept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

ronk wrote:There's been a lot of promise from Byrne. Even against Ulster he was physical and looked decent at times. He put ROL through for his try and setup the other off a grubber.

There have been really solid kicks as well as the usual weak ones. Even when he got lost in the backline that time, he held the ball and didn't throw an intercept.

Undoubtedly: lots of promise. Not sure that's what I'd want to rely on in a tough crunch Euro game.
Great to have both him and Carbery to look forward to. I'm just annoyed with the situation we've been left in.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

curates_egg wrote:
ronk wrote:There's been a lot of promise from Byrne. Even against Ulster he was physical and looked decent at times. He put ROL through for his try and setup the other off a grubber.

Undoubtedly: lots of promise. Not sure that's what I'd want to rely on in a tough crunch Euro game.
Great to have both him and Carbery to look forward to. I'm just annoyed with the situation we've been left in.
At this point in the Season, there should minimal interest in "promise". January and March are about delivery and Byrne for that role against Montpellier or Castres is betting against the house and taking an enormous risk with our Season.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

At this point in the Season, there should minimal interest in "promise". January and March are about delivery and Byrne for that role against Montpellier or Castres is betting against the house and taking an enormous risk with our Season.
I wouldn't say it is a bet anyone in Leinster wanted to take, so it's not really betting on their part: they've been forced into it by the IRFU, which is throwing money at one province and bending the rules out of some misplaced sense of guilt.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

curates_egg wrote:

I happy that he's stepped up to the plate better than expected and I think we can win with him.

The reason for medical jokers is to stop teams from bloating their rosters with "break glass in case of emergency" players. But it only works if signings are available to all provinces that have worked to trim roster if and when they are required. Leinster lost Madigan and shouldn't be in this position. More than that we didn't hold Crosbie and he went off playing for Munster A.

If the IRFU can't be relied on for jokers in as clear a case as this then coaches will be forced to try to stockpile players, which is more expensive than signing the occasional joker, even at a premium.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

pretty sure we wanted and tried our best to keep Madigan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

simonokeeffe wrote:pretty sure we wanted and tried our best to keep Madigan
I meant that, losing him was a blow.

This article mentions him in relation to assessing Nucifora
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/d ... -1.2921500

On second reading it's more light criticism that Madigan went to Bordeaux instead of Munster and that he's less available for Ireland. Leinster don't come into the equation.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

If you say so. If he starts, he will still have to stay fit for the next 3 weeks.
Given how much bull we've been fed since November about his availability, I won't actually believe the first if (i.e. that he is starting this weekend) until I see him taking the kick off.
Even then, I'll be watching through my fingers.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:
If you say so. If he starts, he will still have to stay fit for the next 3 weeks.
Given how much bull we've been fed since November about his availability, I won't actually believe the first if (i.e. that he is starting this weekend) until I see him taking the kick off.
Even then, I'll be watching through my fingers.
It might be better if eased into the place kicking role.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ronk wrote:

On second reading it's more light criticism that Madigan went to Bordeaux instead of Munster and that he's less available for Ireland. Leinster don't come into the equation.
No worries

Yeah it was a failing not to retain both Madigan and Moore within Irish rugby
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
ronk wrote:

No worries

Yeah it was a failing not to retain both Madigan and Moore within Irish rugby
Well the Moore one was addressed by the man himself, he was using wasps as a bargaining chip but signed some kind of binding pro forma. Irfu probably told by Moore that he was staying.

Madser wouldn't play for another province, hard to lay either at the irfu's door.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

[quote="Peg Leg
Well the Moore one was addressed by the man himself, he was using wasps as a bargaining chip but signed some kind of binding pro forma. Irfu probably told by Moore that he was staying.

Madser wouldn't play for another province, hard to lay either at the irfu's door.[/quote]

Eh, except that the Irfu wouldn't sanction them staying with Leinster
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

deco wrote:[quote="Peg Leg

Madser wouldn't play for another province, hard to lay either at the irfu's door.
Eh, except that the Irfu wouldn't sanction them staying with Leinster[/quote]

and they left while Nucifora was away.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Madigan wasn't staying with Leinster. His Leinster career ended the day Johnny re-signed. The mistake was not doing everything possible to keep him in the Irish system. He wanted to play for Ireland, he had to play to play for Ireland, and he had to play in Ireland to play for Ireland and ironically the only team he couldn't do that with was Leinster. Whilst he may have had issues moving south, moving west would have had real potential for him.
I have Bumbleflex
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

I agree he's definitely showing some promise, but two of his first-half passes vs Ulster were very very close to being intercepts, don't want to see those again!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan