BBC northern Ireland rugby

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: BBC northern Ireland rugby

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Hamilton's selling point has been his pride in pronouncing players names correctly, said so himself on a Memory Man Magee moment.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Laighin Break wrote:Hamilton's "rugby knowledge" tends to be facts and tidbits about players. I think he learns a few for each game and repeats them a few times in the game. Like where one player was born, and another player that has a famous parent etc.
A lot of them are like that. Did you ever listen to Oisin Langan commentating on rugby? He did the Ulster v Clermont game a few weeks ago and started rattling off Robbie Diack's age, city of birth, country of birth and number of Irish caps in one sentence. All completely pointless. I genuinely think that people like Hamilton and Langan believe the listeners know less about the sport that they do. Although no-one has ever actually pointed out to them that being able to read the match programme doesn't equal an understanding of the game.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I remember years ago a lad I know was playing in, I think, the All Ireland Schools final (hurling) for Dublin Colleges. Anyway, each player was asked to provide a short bio about themselves with some useful facts. He made stuff up and the commentator quoted one matter of factly during the game "X, who captained the Irish U-18 International Rules team" :lol: :lol:

The Eir Sport commentary for the Ireland - NZ game was also awful, which is a real pity considering the match. The main lad is dead boring and I can't stand Liam Toland.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

George Hamilton's best ever moment was when Real Madrid were tonking somebody 4-0 in a Champions League final and arguments sake Raul skinned some defender on the halfway line in a counter attack and George came out with "he left him standing there like a jilted lover under the clock at Clerys", only bettered by John Giles' response of "I know the feeling George"
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:George Hamilton's best ever moment was when Real Madrid were tonking somebody 4-0 in a Champions League final and arguments sake Raul skinned some defender on the halfway line in a counter attack and George came out with "he left him standing there like a jilted lover under the clock at Clerys", only bettered by John Giles' response of "I know the feeling George"
It's said laughter boosts the immune system.
I'm cured - That was funny.
BTW +1 Johny Giles.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Quoted piece lifted from "Ulster Away Rescheduled Round 9 Game Sat Mar 12 7:35pm Premier Sports & TG4" thread
Oldschool wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:12 am
outcast eddie wrote: January 21st, 2022, 1:41 pm You need to include more match details in the thread title Neill_m.
Yeah Neill you've been slipping a wee bit of late.
You could think about adding the likely commentary team (in your main thread) so that we can pick and choose which TV coverage we will watch. :wink:
Ulster Rugby commentary by Jim Neilly.....

when anyone asks for Ulster Rugby commentary teams this thread can reappear.....

Who'd be watching on telly when you can stand at a railing outside your house, plug in the headset, listen to the radio and imagine you are in Ravenhill with sounds of the hordes of delirious Ulstermen stood up beside you while Jim Neilly is commentating the game as if it were in the Kings Hall? none of yer "go easy" or pining for a windswept Sportsground (as gaelige) when you can go full blown Ulster partisan and all you hear is Radio Ga Ga...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

brotheroffrank wrote: March 6th, 2022, 3:16 pm Quoted piece lifted from "Ulster Away Rescheduled Round 9 Game Sat Mar 12 7:35pm Premier Sports & TG4" thread
Oldschool wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:12 am
outcast eddie wrote: January 21st, 2022, 1:41 pm You need to include more match details in the thread title Neill_m.
Yeah Neill you've been slipping a wee bit of late.
You could think about adding the likely commentary team (in your main thread) so that we can pick and choose which TV coverage we will watch. :wink:
Ulster Rugby commentary by Jim Neilly.....

when anyone asks for Ulster Rugby commentary teams this thread can reappear.....

Who'd be watching on telly when you can stand at a railing outside your house, plug in the headset, listen to the radio and imagine you are in Ravenhill with sounds of the hordes of delirious Ulstermen stood up beside you while Jim Neilly is commentating the game as if it were in the Kings Hall? none of yer "go easy" or pining for a windswept Sportsground (as gaelige) when you can go full blown Ulster partisan and all you hear is Radio Ga Ga...
And just to add to that drubbing of Southern Comfort, the Orange Juice that is Jim Neilly, Tommeeee Bowe and Rory Best have a lot more pace and power.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Last time we were there we were slagging the guys around us for constantly booing everything. They looked genuinely astonished and asked "Do people think we boo a lot?" :lol:
Dont Panic!