BBC northern Ireland rugby

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

carlow man
Enlightened

Re: BBC northern Ireland rugby

Post by carlow man »

blockhead wrote:We should'nt have any expectation of a home broadcaster being "neutral". And in the first half anyway the co-commentator kept calling the refs pens for Connacht as spot on. I watched the ruggmatrix podcast after the game v aus recently and they were stunned by the supposed bias of Ryle and his sidekick. Expect it and get over it. Who cares anyway, watch a rugby game on the telly for the performance on the pitch not the performance of the lads behind the mic's.
I know what your saying blockhead but I still want to listen to a commentary team who can at least try to stay semi neutral but neilly is awful to listen to for 80 mins. If the game is in the balance he is so desperate for ulster to get a score and can't remain calm and focused. He only calms down and gives a bit of praise to the opposition when the result is beyond doubt. Ulster played well enough tonight though, felt connachts injuries had a huge bearing on their performance.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Yeh. To be fair it's the Welsh crowds who get on my nerves especially the scarlets. I've been there a few times and they scream and shout about every decision. The atmosphere gets a bit scary at times!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

The main problem with Neilly is that he feeds the persecution complex up there at times. He's a good lad with plenty of enthusiasm though.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

kermischocolate wrote:All hail Carlow man.

The commentary and "analysis" was so horrendous I gave up watching.

Actually, what have I missed that this game was tonight? Why were it and the Italian derby before Christmas?
Cos they didnt think thered be enough away fans to care about and it gets another game on tv
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Jim Neilly is primarily a radio commentator and I think he struggles to keep himself from running a full radio style commentary on TV and starts to talk cr@p to fill in time.
He is a top grade boxing commentator by the way and does the national BBC stuff.
Yes he is biased, and yes he gets players names wrong but he is a bit of a cult figure up here and his passion to see Ulster do well just overcomes him during the match
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Wouldn't put myself thru listening to the Ulster rugby cheerleaders
If Ulster are beaten its because the other team were poor everytime
Embarrassing really, Ferris and that gobshite commentator are the worst
Should be all given their Pom poms and mini skirts up in the TV box

Rant over!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Wouldn't put myself thru listening to the Ulster rugby cheerleaders

Rant over!!!!
Ferris in a mini skirt?
You've just ruined christmas for me.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Stephen ferris with Pom poms and a mini skirt- I am never forgiving you for that image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I have no issue with BBC NI being biased towards Ulster, they have every right to be. What I think is much worse is RTÉ and TG4's bias against Ulster when they're playing other Irish teams, especially if it's Connacht/Munster, as they are a national broadcasters. Obviously RTÉ don't show Pro12 anymore, but they tend to cover Ulster games less on Against The Head, for example.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ferris is a bit one eyed/dyed in the wool but he is also brutally honest and forthright (no disrespect to Clive Ross) which is good, plus as a grand slam winning Lion who would play on the stumps of his ankles if you let him its a lot easier to take his bias than lesser warriors
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:
Gearzbox2 wrote:Wouldn't put myself thru listening to the Ulster rugby cheerleaders

Rant over!!!!
Ferris in a mini skirt?
You've just ruined christmas for me.
Yeah but he's probably just made Christmas for someone else. :D
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Whatever gets you through the night, Oldschool.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:Whatever gets you through the night, Oldschool.
Fantasising about Ferris in a mini wouldn't be one of my whatevers tbh.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The Oldschool doth protest too much, methinks.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:The Oldschool doth protest too much, methinks.
Laughing maybe - One of the ugly sisters in a Cinderella panto would be a good fit.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

You can be biased for "your" team without disparaging the opposition. That's what annoys me so much.

Watching BBC Alba there is no question Hugh Dan is supporting the Scottish teams but he never runs down the opposition. (well, I don't think he does. Neither do the players who are co-commentating)

As has been said it was like being in the stand with a group of rabid Ulster supporters last night. The discussion of Clancy's refereeing was embarrassing- these are supposed to be professionals, not an Internet forum discussion. As a (semi) neutral I have less than no interest is listening to it.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

At least BBC NI bother to show Pro12 games unlike RTE.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

First world problems:
1. Accidentally chewing a cardamom pod while enjoying a fine curry.
2. The compulsory swim hat rule in Irish pools.
3. Middle lane hoggers
5,001(approx). Jim McNeily (sic)

Let's get a sense of perspective and address these issues in order folks. :shock:
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

kermischocolate wrote:You can be biased for "your" team without disparaging the opposition. That's what annoys me so much.

Watching BBC Alba there is no question Hugh Dan is supporting the Scottish teams but he never runs down the opposition. (well, I don't think he does. Neither do the players who are co-commentating)

As has been said it was like being in the stand with a group of rabid Ulster supporters last night. The discussion of Clancy's refereeing was embarrassing- these are supposed to be professionals, not an Internet forum discussion. As a (semi) neutral I have less than no interest is listening to it.
Agreed...the 'analysis' by the guy whose accent is half Kiwi/half Belfast is so biased it's embarrassing. Far worse than anything from English BBC rugby pundits or RTE.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

When Rte used to cover Pro12 rugby we had the pleasure of Franno appearing as an analyst, and other southern worthies commenting on Ulster with very little knowledge of Ulster Rugby.
Why shouldn't BBC NI produce a programme for the benefit of their license payers rather than those FTA viewers in Carlow etc. who choose to watch for free.
.. Personally I gladly put up with Jim Neely's uniqe style if it insures that we get100% coverage along with the games on Sky of Ulster's Pro 12 games I Think we are as some one pointed out unique in having this situation.
It also never fails to amaze me the wildly differing cross section of public who regularly watch Ulster Rugby Live on Tv, in age profile,in various sporting backgrounds and through the whole social spectrum.
I wouldn't quite go as far as certain Mr Tweed who told the RTE interviewer at Lansdowne when asked how it felt to play for his country, his reply was words to the Effect that he had already played for his country many times at Ravenhill but it does strike a chord.
Glad Robson meets with your approval as most of Wales think he is biased to wards Ulster. Of course the fact that he was mentored by Jim Neely in his early career with BBC NI may have had some influence on him.

As for the 6N I must admit to watching on RTE for a similar reason in that at least their biased and often slanted opinions are leaning in the right direction.