Leinster v Ulster Sat NYE 3pm Sky

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Ulster Sat NYE 3pm Sky

Post by wixfjord »

A good bit more pressure on this one now. At least a win needed.

Expect to see all the big boys back according to Leo. I wonder might Henshaw get another run at 12 too considering he missed a good bit in AIs.

Possible team:
McGrath, Cronin, Bent, Toner, Triggs, SOB, VDF, Heaslip, McGrath, Sexton, Byrne, Reid, Ringrose, Isa, ZK
Healy, Tracy, Loughman/Heffernan, Molony, Conan, JGP, Byrne, Henshaw, Daly
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Ulster Sat NYE 3pm Sky

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Really looking forward to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UlsterMan
Bookworm

Post by UlsterMan »

Aloha my Leinster friends, hope you all had nothing short of a delightful Christmas!

Alright, now that I've been nice to you, time to get down to business! :lol:

Based on who we played (or perhaps didn't play) last week, and who we will have back, this is what I think will be our team this weekend, or something close to it:

(15-9) Piutau, Trimble, Cave, McCloskey, Bowe, Herron, Pienaar
(1-8) Black, Herring, Herbst, Browne, van der Merwe, Ross, Reidy, Wilson
(16-23) Andrew, Warwick, Ah You, Treadwell, Henry, P Marshall, Ludik, Stockdale

As always, any questions you have for me about Ulster (or perhaps rugby in general, don't let me limit you if you feel the need to inquire!) feel free to ask and I will answer honestly or to the best of my ability :D
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Will Henderson be allowed to play considering he didn't play a huge amount of AIs I wonder?
That pack is fierce lightweight if not!
UlsterMan
Bookworm

Post by UlsterMan »

wixfjord wrote:Will Henderson be allowed to play considering he didn't play a huge amount of AIs I wonder?
That pack is fierce lightweight if not!
He played the full 80 in both games against Clermont and against Connacht so I would guess that he wouldn't play at all on Saturday. Even if Ireland said yes he could play, I think Ulster would say no he won't.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Am actually on a rare unplanned (and therefore unprepared) trip back home and was looking forward to going to the game...until I went to buy tickets. All that were left (2 weeks ago) were single tickets in the covered stands but the cheapest seat I could find came to over 65 Euro (60 plus booking fee) for a seat on the tryline. Clearly people are willing to pay those prices, so the marketing team have got the price right...but what the actual funk? That is even boomier than I remember the boom being. Too rich for my blood and I am not willing to pay over 40 Euro (36 plus booking fee) for seats in the uncovered stands when there is a high likelihood of rain...knowing how far 40 Euro will get me in other places. It seems to be 20-25% more expensive than the Connacht match, which was the last match I was at home for, and for which I bought tickets.
I still may end up going if I get a ticket but those are absolutely crazy prices to watch Leinster play an Ulster side that will likely not include many Irish internationals, so I won't be paying face value.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

And I thought you were a Leinster fan. :o :roll: :)

Tbf. I don't think it rains at more than about 2 games a year. Certainly not in any way heavily.

The Dublin Bay area has the lowest rainfall in the country at about 800 odd mm per year. About half that of many parts of the west.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

johng wrote:And I thought you were a Leinster fan. :o :roll: :)

Tbf. I don't think it rains at more than about 2 games a year. Certainly not in any way heavily.

The Dublin Bay area has the lowest rainfall in the country at about 800 odd mm per year. About half that of many parts of the west.
So that means you're not offering me your ticket? Why is there no emoticon with tears gushing?

I'm fairly confident I will finagle a ticket but I just can't stomach paying more than I have paid for any knock-out game in Europe ever...to watch Leinster play Ulster B plus in the Celtic league. Fair play to the marketing lads if they can convince people in Dublin that that price offers value for money. I had noticed Dublin was a bit worryingly boomy in October but 65 Euro to sit on the tryline for this match is categoric proof.

As for your weather prognosis, I have been rained on in a few Ulster games in the past and I am too old for that sort of thing now: there can be no true beauty without decay.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

If I had a spare ticket I'm sure I could sell it at face value.

I could count the number of Leinster games in the RDS that I have missed on one hand.

While it is not always easy to see fine rain from the grandstand I'd be fairly confident that no significant rain falls at more than 2 games a year.

The last time I personally got drenched at the RDS was Sextos Ireland debut v Fiji in 2009
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

johng wrote: I could count the number of Leinster games in the RDS that I have missed on one hand.
If I end up not going, it will be the first one I have ever missed whilst on a trip home that I can remember; so definitely a pity if it comes to pass.

The flip side is that the receipts from this game should pay the wages for the outhalf we need for the next few months, right John? :wink:
So, while I'm disappointed personally, I think it's great for Leinster that we can turn this relative sow's ear into a significant cash cow.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

curates_egg wrote: The flip side is that the receipts from this game should pay the wages for the outhalf we need for the next few months, right John? :wink:
If we need one then absolutely. Fook yeah. Bring it on. Etc.etc.

Leo cullen and the boys are no mugs. They have all the injury info in front of them. They know tbe IRFU score on possible minutes for Jonny.

If there was a need I'm full sure they would already have the relevant player(s) sellected, approached and approved by whoever.

Perhaps they have someone on standby. Who knows.

You or me drama queening on multiple threads on this or any other forum ain't going to change tbings.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote: Leo cullen and the boys are no mugs. They have all the injury info in front of them. They know tbe IRFU score on possible minutes for Jonny.

Is that why they told us he would be available for selection against Munster Ulster someone maybe if Denis allows it
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Who cares what they told us? We are not important. Sometimes when they say they are not sure whether they will have a player pending medical info..... It's true.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:Who cares what they told us? We are not important. Sometimes when they say they are not sure whether they will have a player pending medical info..... It's true.
Then why not sign a joker? If they don't actually know when the guy - sorry, not guy, GUYS - when the guys will be back, then surely with no fit senior outhalves in the squad it is the only sensible thing to do
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

like I said. Perhaps they have someone on standby. Ready to unveil if sexto fails to materialise. Who knows?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

My memory of what Lancaster said was that we MIGHT have him for Munster, if not then Ulster.

So if there is no sign this week then......
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:like I said. Perhaps they have someone on standby. Ready to unveil if sexto fails to materialise. Who knows?
There was no mention of disintegration in the last injury update, what are you not telling us John?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
johng wrote:like I said. Perhaps they have someone on standby. Ready to unveil if sexto fails to materialise. Who knows?
There was no mention of disintegration in the last injury update, what are you not telling us John?
He has been beamed up to the mothership and back a few times. Scottie might lose his transporter lock at some stage.

Hmmmmm transporter lock? Does Jean Kleyn qualify as one of those?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

It actually does seem to rain very little in the RDS. I remember when we first got our seats in the Grandstand, before they had the roof in, I don't think we got rained on even once.
It did rain at the Castres game in October though. I remember only noticing it because it looked like it was pouring on the big screen, but couldn't notice any rain from our seats.
wetherbydave
Beginner

Post by wetherbydave »

Me and the missus have season tickets in the south stand, we try and get over (live near York) for about 10 - 12 of the 15 games (don't go to Lansdowne any more as the atmosphere is dire). over the course of a season we probably get mildly damp once or twice, those ponchos they dished out one year are great and we sit under those no probs. :D