Leinster vs Zebre January 6th

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster vs Zebre January 6th

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I know it's been mentioned on another thread, bit the YC for the tackle on Dev was very very harsh. I'm not sure it was even a penalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We made great ground 2-3 times from no look inside passes from Sexton to a forward coming on a nice angle. Fogarty was asked about it and said it was something they had practised during the week.
I'd expect a few more of those next weekend.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was frustrated with the penalties at the time but when you watch them back we were hard done by a lot.

Had forgotten about the card for Rhys. That's an absolute joke. The ball carrier was leaning in with his head and Rhys was just waiting to make the tackle, totally the ball carrier''s fault IMO. It happens an awful lot and I have to say I think world rugby have totally cocked up their attempts to solve the issue of concussion/high tackles. They seem to react to individual high profile games/incidents rather than looking at the game as a whole and being proactive about it.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

The Gary Ringrose masterclass that game last night should be referred to...outstanding in every aspect
Lukey Mc got plenty of space and clean ball, won't be as much of a cake walk next week....Johnny looked decent and got the back line motoring, Robbie H very good too
ROL looks at home on the wing...ROL Rob K Isa back 3 next week???

Poor Nugget looked pretty screwed going off, disappointing for him as he was playing really well and our first choice 2....can't see him playing these next couple of games
Interesting to see a few calls next week with selection
Cian V Jack
Treacy v Strauss
ROL v Byrne
Back row bench spot
Back cover, will Noel Reid lose out
It will be a interesting week in UCD
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gearzbox2 wrote:The Gary Ringrose masterclass that game last night should be referred to...outstanding in every aspect
Lukey Mc got plenty of space and clean ball, won't be as much of a cake walk next week....Johnny looked decent and got the back line motoring, Robbie H very good too
ROL looks at home on the wing...ROL Rob K Isa back 3 next week???

Poor Nugget looked pretty screwed going off, disappointing for him as he was playing really well and our first choice 2....can't see him playing these next couple of games
Interesting to see a few calls next week with selection
Cian V Jack
Treacy v Strauss
ROL v Byrne
Back row bench spot
Back cover, will Noel Reid lose out
It will be a interesting week in UCD
Cian v Jack is, unfortunately, not even nearly a close decision until Healy grows a brain or starts showing a bit of form.
I think Conan has to have cemented the back row bench spot for now, unless Rhys is needed for lineout options.

Feel very sorry for Reid I must say, he's having a brilliant year and shows so much every time he comes on, but unless Henshaw gets injured he might not even be in 23.
Interested to see a backline with Carbery, him, ROL and Byrne in it during the 6N.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Outstanding performance against awful opposition obviously, but one stand out issue for me at this stage is O'Brien's penalty count. It's like he's trying to be too much of a hero and accomplish too much. Healy up until yesterday has the same issue.

They both need to realise that they only have to be 10% better than their opposite number, not 50%. If they always manage that, we'll win. Jack McGrath is the perfect "always 10% better" player.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I was frustrated with the penalties at the time but when you watch them back we were hard done by a lot.

Had forgotten about the card for Rhys. That's an absolute joke. The ball carrier was leaning in with his head and Rhys was just waiting to make the tackle, totally the ball carrier''s fault IMO. It happens an awful lot and I have to say I think world rugby have totally cocked up their attempts to solve the issue of concussion/high tackles. They seem to react to individual high profile games/incidents rather than looking at the game as a whole and being proactive about it.
Rhys didn't get a card but another ref probably would have carded him.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Leinster vs Zebre January 6th

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I was frustrated with the penalties at the time but when you watch them back we were hard done by a lot.

Was a penalty only LRIP, but you're right it was a bit "to the letter of the law" and we're going to see a lot of leading with the head in the next few weeks

EDIT: I mean the ref didn't YC Ruddock, he just awarded a penalty for a no arm tackle for that incident

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Apologies, had it in my head that the ref said "I'm just thinking yellow" but must have confused it with something else.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Thought the lads did outstandingly well to run up such a big score and keep their minds set to the task once they had got the bonus point. In 80 mins they have swung our league Pts +/- by 64 points and our TS/TC by 10 tries ... that was the job that they were asked to do, and they did it with aplomb.

Some of our midfield play from Sexton, Henshaw and Ringrose was nothing short of outstanding; just a joy to watch. I was so impressed with Henshaw's diligence – he was asked to hit it up and run dummy lines as part of the first half gameplan, which isn't the sexiest think to be doing against Zebre, but he did the job to absolute perfection and it allowed so much rugby to happen around him. He'll cut thought the line and go all the way home if you don't take care of him [and mostly doubly up on him], and that straight-line running and offloading threat keeps defences from moving up too hard or fanning wide.

Great to see Rory O'Loughlin in such a rich vein of form - five tries in two matches is a sensational return, and on the basis of that form he deserves to start against Montpellier. Thought that Adam Byrne looked frustrated to be excluded from the try scoring activities, which I don't mind seeing from a winger ... you want to see them hungry for tries.

I was in the jacks for Luke McGrath's try, so apparently I missed the redeeming part of ZK's game. I've been very disappointed with him over the last couple of games. I don't particularly want to pick on him, but I think that in general Leinster fans have been quite fair to him over the last couple of season. There was an initial negative over-reaction to his signing, which was seen as a significant drop in standard from the rumoured signing of AAC or Drew Mitchell, but since then I think people have given him a fair shake. However, he has been making a lot of mistakes and been one of our worst players in the last couple of games ... I'd be a little bit disappointed if he is going to be in situ at FB over the Six Nations ahead of giving a chance to Billy Dardis, I have to say. None of the Academy [Carbery, O'Loughlin, R. Byrne] or Development Contract [T. Daly, A. Byrne] have let us down at all, so I'd be confident that Dardis could be a good contributor.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

paddyor wrote:

Rhys didn't get a card but another ref probably would have carded him.
Ah yeah
But if he had got a card it would have been a joke.
All refs are bad
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

On Tracy and his throwing, worth R Murphy doing some one on one with him like with Carty?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Would Murphy be the right man for that job?

AFAIK, throwing is all about endless repetition, hitting the target over and over and over again to get consistent form, as a former outhalf would Murphy recognise good form ahead of say Fogarty?

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Would Murphy be the right man for that job?

AFAIK, throwing is all about endless repetition, hitting the target over and over and over again to get consistent form, as a former outhalf would Murphy recognise good form ahead of say Fogarty?

the work he did with Carty produced serious results and he's national skills coach so would be able to do extra work with him outside of ireland being in session
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He's also a former outhalf who was an amazing goal kicker. That's why he was working with Carty. Working on a hookers throwing wouldn't be part of his remit at all.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I've honestly never seen anyone who kicked a ball as sweet as Murphy

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:He's also a former outhalf who was an amazing goal kicker. That's why he was working with Carty. Working on a hookers throwing wouldn't be part of his remit at all.
Mental skills brah
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

For the try on half time, there wasn't enough time for a lineout, but there was time for a scrum, and scrums often/usually(?) eat up more time than a lineout. Where is the logic in that? Is it just cause the ball has to be put out of play for the lineout?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Laighin Break wrote:For the try on half time, there wasn't enough time for a lineout, but there was time for a scrum, and scrums often/usually(?) eat up more time than a lineout. Where is the logic in that? Is it just cause the ball has to be put out of play for the lineout?
You can always opt to take a scrum from a penalty. It's an immediate action. 'Opting for the lineout' means that you're actually opting to kick the ball into touch. You get a lineout as a result of that action, but the immediate action is kicking the ball into touch.
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

Laighin Break wrote:For the try on half time, there wasn't enough time for a lineout, but there was time for a scrum, and scrums often/usually(?) eat up more time than a lineout. Where is the logic in that? Is it just cause the ball has to be put out of play for the lineout?
Yeah that's why i think. Although new rules will now allow teams to kick for touch in last play of game I think and go for the lineout option. Just like Connacht did in last play against Wasps, but that shouldn't have counted at the time as new rule hadn't been brought in to effect yet.