Leinster vs Zebre January 6th

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Leinster vs Zebre January 6th

Post by Cianostays »

Tricky one to predict who'll be available. I'd be of the belief that we need to give the team a hit out before Montpellier so I'd pick a team based on the first choice 23.

1-23: McGrath, Tracey, Furlong, Toner, Triggs, Conan, SO'B, Heaslip, JGP, Sexton, RO'L, Henshaw, Ringrose, Byrne, Kirchner, Cronin, Healy, Bent, Nagle, Leavy/VDF, McGrath, Byrne, Nacewa.

I'm not sure if VDF is tired or rusty but I'd trust Leavy to step up if, for whatever reason, VDF isn't hitting the heights of November. Cronin and Nacewa are 2 very important players for us in Europe so I'd have them on the bench for this game.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster vs Zebre January 6th

Post by simonokeeffe »

McGrath not first choice?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:McGrath not first choice?
And its a disgrace that there is no sign of a medical joker at out half.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

simonokeeffe wrote:McGrath not first choice?
I meant first choice squad of 23 rather than first 15.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

What happens if JS or his hamstrings breakdown.

We go into two vital European games with one fit academy out half. Montpellier might fancy taking him out early !

Hard to understand
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

bails wrote:What happens if JS or his hamstrings breakdown.

We go into two vital European games with one fit academy out half. Montpellier might fancy taking him out early !

Hard to understand

Surely you can get a medical joker when a guy is injured not if a guy might get injured.
Leinster kept intimating that JS is close to fitness.
Maybe that was a ploy to sell out the RDS (it worked) but you have to take such releases at face value and if JS is as close to a. return as they were saying I don't see how a replacement could be obtained.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

All Blacks nil wrote:

Hard to understand

Surely you can get a medical joker when a guy is injured not if a guy might get injured.
Maybe that was a ploy to sell out the RDS (it worked) but you have to take such releases at face value and if JS is as close to a. return as they were saying I don't see how a replacement could be obtained.
Surely it's a case of having our two senior outhalves actually out injured no?

Neither Jonny sexton nor Joey C have yet returned from injury.

Though I do think our academy outhalf has performed very well, there is still no currently fit outhalf to step in should Byrne get injured.

That seems like a strong enough case to me.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Can I just say here that my post RE: a medical joker was in jest. Just wanted to make sure that the 2 arguments that every thread seems to head down of late is Luke/Jamison GP and medical jokers, was highlighted from the off.
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

What the fvck else are we gonna talk about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

All Blacks nil wrote:

Hard to understand

JS was never going to play before the new year, no matter what.
Leinster and Ireland need him properly fit, not limping from game to game and they were/are going to take as long as it takes.
The future is self sufficiency and ALL the provinces are getting the same message - tough love but that's the future.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:

Hard to understand

Leinster and Ireland need him properly fit, not limping from game to game and they were/are going to take as long as it takes.
The future is self sufficiency and ALL the provinces are getting the same message - tough love but that's the future.
The Southern Province doesn't seem to have to work on self-sufficiency. They clearly have a different set of protocols
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
All Blacks nil -- bails wrote:What happens if JS or his hamstrings breakdown.

Hard to understand

Maybe that was a ploy to sell out the RDS (it worked) but you have to take such releases at face value and if JS is as close to a. return as they were saying
I don't see how a replacement could be obtained.
The Southern Province doesn't seem to have to work on self-sufficiency. They clearly have a different set of protocols
Erasmus is a good start in that direction. Munster passion and legenditus wasn't built in a day.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Irrespective of whether it doesn't suit someone to discuss or not, Sexton is a long term crock and McGrath is better as a scrum half than JGP and deserves the number one spot.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Cianostays wrote:Tricky one to predict who'll be available. I'd be of the belief that we need to give the team a hit out before Montpellier so I'd pick a team based on the first choice 23.

1-23: McGrath, Tracey, Furlong, Toner, Triggs, Conan, SO'B, Heaslip, JGP, Sexton, RO'L, Henshaw, Ringrose, Byrne, Kirchner, Cronin, Healy, Bent, Nagle, Leavy/VDF, McGrath, Byrne, Nacewa.

I'm not sure if VDF is tired or rusty but I'd trust Leavy to step up if, for whatever reason, VDF isn't hitting the heights of November. Cronin and Nacewa are 2 very important players for us in Europe so I'd have them on the bench for this game.
If we were going to go very strong for Zebre we'd have picked a stronger team for Munster.

It might not go down well if we stock the team against Zebre after all the fuss over "disrespecting" Munster.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

If Sexton continues to be unavailable it might be an idea to limit Byrne's involvement in this game so he doesn't get flogged. Reid to get a shot at 10?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Think he needs the experience and he's a confidence player. He's hungry for every minute of action he can get during when he knows he an opportunity he wouldn't otherwise be getting.

I think you take the risk against Zebre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

ronk wrote:Think he needs the experience and he's a confidence player. He's hungry for every minute of action he can get during when he knows he an opportunity he wouldn't otherwise be getting.

Suppose, yeah. Although springing him from the bench for the last half hour could work well if Leinster are running hot
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote:Think he needs the experience and he's a confidence player. He's hungry for every minute of action he can get during when he knows he an opportunity he wouldn't otherwise be getting.

Plus one
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

leinsterforever wrote:

Suppose, yeah. Although springing him from the bench for the last half hour could work well if Leinster are running hot
Or pull him when the match is in the bag.

If we're afraid of him being targeted by Montpellier, we should start him and put Sexton on the bench.
Bluerock
Beginner

Post by Bluerock »

Byrne was spoken to by medics before he was substituted and appeared to have a slight limp when he left the field. Hope this is nothing serious. He seems to have racked up a lot of minutes recently.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens........