Loughman

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Loughman

Post by ronk »

When he came on against Ulster he moved to loosehead. He wasn't on long but I had thought he was a tight head and he played there for us.

He did okay in the scrum anyway. Thought it was funny. Maybe something to do with giving Bent a run at tighthead.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Loughman

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Was that not Porter who came on at loosehead? Then had to come off for HIA, was it then that loughman came on 'cause McGrath was in the bin, no?
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Was that not Porter who came on at loosehead? Then had to come off for HIA, was it then that loughman came on 'cause McGrath was in the bin, no?
Correct.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

And Loughman was on for one scrum. Bent didn't swap positions which I thought was unusual. They'd have to rate him as a loosehead if they did that. Also shows that Bent is being trusted as a tighthead. Given the way Ryan has done by concentrating on one position maybe there's something similar going on.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't think it's strange. No point making two changes when you only need to make one, and then he moved to TH after jack came back on and replaced Bent

The more I see him the more I like him. Very early days and Ulster's scrum and general performance was shite, but he's pretty good around the pitch and scrummaging seems alright. Considering his age and the fact that he's changed position I think that's hugely encouraging.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote:When he came on against Ulster he moved to loosehead. He wasn't on long but I had thought he was a tight head and he played there for us.

He did okay in the scrum anyway. Thought it was funny. Maybe something to do with giving Bent a run at tighthead.
He [Loughman] has played a lot of rugby at loosehead ronk. That's where he played for Ireland at U20 level [source: http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixtures ... /33820.php ]. He has only been focussing on tighthead since joining the academy, as far as I know.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

hugonaut wrote:
ronk wrote:When he came on against Ulster he moved to loosehead. He wasn't on long but I had thought he was a tight head and he played there for us.

He [Loughman] has played a lot of rugby at loosehead ronk. That's where he played for Ireland at U20 level [source: http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixtures ... /33820.php ]. He has only been focussing on tighthead since joining the academy, as far as I know.

He had a pretty unspectacular U-20 world cup and I think they decided to switch post that tournament. UCD have played Porter and Loughman either side of the scrum. Good player and a great prospect but better at tighthead in my view.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Didn't Loughman's world cup end a few minutes into the first game?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Didn't Loughman's world cup end a few minutes into the first game?
You might be right, think I might be confusing the 6 nations - watched a couple of games and he got done badly (particularly by wales).
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Flash Gordon wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

He had a pretty unspectacular U-20 world cup and I think they decided to switch post that tournament. UCD have played Porter and Loughman either side of the scrum. Good player and a great prospect but better at tighthead in my view.
Missed him but happy with more tightheads.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:

Interesting to see how the squad has developed at pro level already.