Heaslip to sign new contract to July 2020

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Heaslip to sign new contract to July 2020

Post by goreyguy »

Excellent news, wonder what it means for some of the younger backrows.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

goreyguy wrote:Excellent news, wonder what it means for some of the younger backrows.
They get to work with one of the best 8's in the world?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

the spoofer wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Excellent news, wonder what it means for some of the younger backrows.
thats been the case for years.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Great news.

Good podcast on joe.ie from yesterday with Kev McLaughlin and DOC and they talk glowingly about Jamie as being a players player. It was interesting listening to DOC in particular who talked about Jamie as being the first name on the team sheet and the guy you would want in the trenches with you and ultimately a team player who will automatically fill in anywhere that makes the team better even if it takes away (to the naked eye) from his own showreel. He was asked why Jamie seemed to be unliked by certain groups including media and he said (paraphrasing) he would always prefer a guy who puts it on the line for the team every single match then someone who gives good interviews. Worth a listen.

Edit: link to podcast

https://www.joe.ie/sport/podcast-donnch ... ons/577422
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

goreyguy wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
thats been the case for years.
And look at how many international backrowers Leinster has produced in that time.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Great news.

They were obviously scared into signing it this week after Xanth cracked the whip in another thread.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

So Jack Conan needs to up his game...excellent!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Part of me was hoping he'd only sign until October 2019, and then he would take up a big post RWC contract in Japan or France. Because the man definitely deserves a huge pay cheque and he owes us absolutely nothing.

But if he is happy to stay, then brilliant. I know he has business interests in Dublin so perhaps the chances of him leaving were lower than we expected.

Great player. If this was another sport, he'd a hall of famer with a retired number.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

suisse wrote:Part of me was hoping he'd only sign until October 2019, and then he would take up a big post RWC contract in Japan or France. Because the man definitely deserves a huge pay cheque and he owes us absolutely nothing.

But if he is happy to stay, then brilliant. I know he has business interests in Dublin so perhaps the chances of him leaving were lower than we expected.

Great player. If this was another sport, he'd a hall of famer with a retired number.
He has only signed up to the end of the RWC.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

cormac wrote:
suisse wrote:Part of me was hoping he'd only sign until October 2019, and then he would take up a big post RWC contract in Japan or France. Because the man definitely deserves a huge pay cheque and he owes us absolutely nothing.

Jamie Heaslip has agreed a new deal to remain at Leinster under national contract until July 2020.
In the article
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Great player, great news.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

suisse wrote:
In the article

Either it's been edited or you've misunderstood, but the Irish Rugby article states:
The IRFU and Leinster Rugby are pleased to announce that Jamie Heaslip has signed a new IRFU contract which will see him play his rugby in Ireland until the end of the Rugby World Cup in Japan.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

suisse wrote:
cormac wrote:

Jamie Heaslip has agreed a new deal to remain at Leinster under national contract until July 2020.
In the article
Try reading the press release from the IRFU today rather than the speculative article from the Irish Times that was posted five weeks ago.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

cormac wrote: Try reading the press release from the IRFU today rather than the speculative article from the Irish Times that was posted five weeks ago.
Right. I would have just assumed the paper of record would get this right.

Before you make up your mind, open it.

EDIT. Ah, I see. I didn't know the OP was written in early January. My mistake.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Great news.

They were obviously scared into signing it this week after Xanth cracked the whip in another thread.

Aw damn it, how did you know about the whip - I was sure I warned Johng not to tell anyone about it :twisted:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

:shock:

50 Shades is out today...my mind is thinking all sorts now!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Xanthippe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Great news.

Aw damn it, how did you know about the whip - I was sure I warned Johng not to tell anyone about it :twisted:
No ones going to blame you for carrying that whip up in Tescos in the square Xanni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

Best news all season
Delighted to hear about this
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

OTT wrote:Great news.

Good podcast on joe.ie from yesterday with Kev McLaughlin and DOC and they talk glowingly about Jamie as being a players player. It was interesting listening to DOC in particular who talked about Jamie as being the first name on the team sheet and the guy you would want in the trenches with you and ultimately a team player who will automatically fill in anywhere that makes the team better even if it takes away (to the naked eye) from his own showreel. He was asked why Jamie seemed to be unliked by certain groups including media and he said (paraphrasing) he would always prefer a guy who puts it on the line for the team every single match then someone who gives good interviews. Worth a listen.

Yeah DOC's comments on Heaslip are a refreshing change from some of the sh1te we see posted about him on the munsterfans forum, some tosser turnip muncher on that forum actually posted "woo hoo" in response to news RK might be out for rest of 6N. And isn't it wonderful faithful self-styled "best supporters in the world" who struggled to half fill Thomond last yeAr now filling the place. Sorry for mini-rant which went a wee bit off topic!!

Edit: link to podcast

https://www.joe.ie/sport/podcast-donnch ... ons/577422
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Well, on that note this is good to hear:

“If you want to be the best you have to train with them and play with them and learn off them and in my eyes this is the only place to do that. You could go somewhere else and play more but I’m not necessarily sure that would, maybe more immediately you’d be better, but down the line you wouldn’t have those learnings.
“Maybe somewhere else is better but I want to play for Leinster. For me I want to be the best player I can be and I want to be one of the best back rowers in Ireland. If I left and gave up on the opportunity to get ahead of someone, I wouldn’t be the best.”

http://www.the42.ie/jack-conan-leinster ... 2-Feb2017/