Castres Vs Leinster Fri 20th Jan 19:45 (Sky Sports)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Castres Vs Leinster Fri 20th Jan 19:45 (Sky Sports)

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Schmidt doesn't pick on form, he picks on familiarity with his system, ability to fit into the system and for specific attributes and skills.

They're different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me thinks you doth protest too much…Jack!
:) , big Jack certainly doesn't need a lone wolf like me howling his praises.

He just goes out and gets sh!t done until he hears that bell.

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Castres Vs Leinster Fri 20th Jan 19:45 (Sky Sports)

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I hate to do this but, reading Neil Francis today (and glossing over the fact that he feels we needed bother our holes going to France should we beat Wasps) he raised the point that the question has to be asked as to what Leinster are doing because they get so many hamstring and hamstring related injuries (eg Calf) compared to the other provinces. I wasn't aware we were monopolising this injury. Thought it was fairly common across the board. Any Thoughts?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LeinsterLeader wrote:I hate to do this but, reading Neil Francis today (and glossing over the fact that he feels we needed bother our holes going to France should we beat Wasps) he raised the point that the question has to be asked as to what Leinster are doing because they get so many hamstring and hamstring related injuries (eg Calf) compared to the other provinces. I wasn't aware we were monopolising this injury. Thought it was fairly common across the board. Any Thoughts?
he has brought it up before.. probably has valid point.. no idea why it could be the case though.

thought he had a few valid points in that article about our mentality and sharpness in that game also.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeinsterLeader wrote:I hate to do this but, reading Neil Francis today (and glossing over the fact that he feels we needed bother our holes going to France should we beat Wasps) he raised the point that the question has to be asked as to what Leinster are doing because they get so many hamstring and hamstring related injuries (eg Calf) compared to the other provinces. I wasn't aware we were monopolising this injury. Thought it was fairly common across the board. Any Thoughts?
we need that data though

unless somebody combs through all the medical reports/match previews of the last 2 or 3 years for Irish sides and possibly pro12 in general and maybe even Prem for comparison its impossible to say

Its probably exasberated by the profile of the Leinster players/guys getting injured to some degree (and that we'd notice more)
Kearney, Sexton, SOB and we notice
Connacht have an injury crisis every year, Ulster have had lots of forwards miss big chunks this season
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

This reminds me of the uproar over a couple hip injuries a few years back. Worth questioning but also worth noting that it's likely coincidence.

If it is an issue you can be sure the s&c and medical staff are addressing it already.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

The hip problems weren't a coincidence though.. and it cost one player his career and almost cost a few others.

New S+C coach in charge this season too. Wonder what they are doing different.
Last edited by goreyguy on January 27th, 2017, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

What were reasons for hip problems?

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:What were reasons for hip problems?

I believe it was the type of squads the S&C coaches had players doing, if my memory serves me right.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jimbobjoe wrote:This reminds me of the uproar over a couple hip injuries a few years back. Worth questioning but also worth noting that it's likely coincidence.

If it is an issue you can be sure the s&c and medical staff are addressing it already.
Sorry for repetition here.
Damien Duff had major problems with hamstring injuries until he moved to Chelsea - problem solved.
It's not necessarily s&c either, it can be down to and individuals physical problems.
I know for a fact that flat feet can be a contributory factor to tight hamstrings. Flat feet give rise to ankle problems also.
Hip issues can be down to the type of squats as mentioned but it's likely that certain individuals have hip issues which doing the wrong exercises will cause problems for them.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:What were reasons for hip problems?

Overly heavy squatting on bodies that were still growing/developing leading to accellerated wear and tear. The academy guys all get regular scans on their hips now

It was all similarly aged players iirc Ruddock, DK, EOM
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Hamstring injuries 2016/2017 season.
SOB - long term
RK - not too serious but cannot shake off in effect becoming more serious.i
Ross- serious
Cronin- serious
Sexton - same as Kearney
James Ryan- Serious
Furlong - not too serious
all with hamstring injuries at various times this season

Ferg has a torn quad, Ruddock is/was struggling with a calf.
As you say they are the high profile players and there are probably more, but that is an awful lot of guys with leg muscle injuries. Moore, Strauss and Healy have all had serious hamstring injuries in recent seasons.

Interesting quote from Mike Ross in a Q and A piece on Joe.ie last year.
As a tight-head prop, do you undergo specific training drills with your front row colleagues?

Yeah, it's called Fat Club [joke].

We would do extra conditioning work and strengthening exercises. Front-rowers will do a lot of box squats with an extra 40 kilos, or so, on the bar.
3 front rowers in this season's list and Healy and Moore had serious hamstring injuries in the last two seasons. Hamstring finished Strauss' 2014 season
That's six frontline front rows with hamstring injuries. Maybe the "fat club" (joke) should be disbanded.
SaS
Bookworm

Post by SaS »

Oldschool wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:This reminds me of the uproar over a couple hip injuries a few years back. Worth questioning but also worth noting that it's likely coincidence.

Sorry for repetition here.
Damien Duff had major problems with hamstring injuries until he moved to Chelsea - problem solved.
It's not necessarily s&c either, it can be down to and individuals physical problems.
I know for a fact that flat feet can be a contributory factor to tight hamstrings. Flat feet give rise to ankle problems also.
Hip issues can be down to the type of squats as mentioned but it's likely that certain individuals have hip issues which doing the wrong exercises will cause problems for them.
Duffer's problem was down to the position of his car seat (S&C coach spotted it) - once that was adjusted his hamstring problem disappeared and he ripped up teams for fun at the Bridge...